2009 American Idol Thread

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Tonight:

In Order:

Adam: What an fucking awesome version of Ring of Fire. I absolutely loved it!
Allison: She was quite fantastic. I really loved her vocal.
Megan: This is the Megan I like. The graveling voice, strong sense of personality and I thought it was a nice antithesis to her outfit. It just worked so well.
Anoop: Solid, sustained performance. Better than the other restrained performances tonight. This is more like the Anoop we like.
Kris: Sweet and passionate, but I'm not a fan of the performance like the judges are.
Giraud: There was some uneveness, but it wasn't nearly as bad as he's been in the past. Still not a fan.
Sarver: The song was a perfect fit for him. And he seemed to genuinely be having fun, which isn't the impression I've gotten in the past.
Danny: I'm getting rather bored with him. This wasn't a spectacular performance, it was passable, but that was mainly because of the money notes. I'd say right now he's only playing for votes because that song is entirely a "vote for me" choice.
Lil: Way too constrained, way too uninteresting. Even the money note at the end didn't fit.
Alexis: Strangely enough, I just listened to this song this morning. I'm not sure I like the arrangement. It was too slow. The fun of the song is the tempo and this wasn't very good.
Scott: Bland, weak and boring. He's just not that interesting.

Edited By OscarGuy on 1237341373
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

OscarGuy wrote:Well, with Jasmine gone, and either Anoop or Jorge going, I'm ok with the results.

And is it just me or has Kelly Clarkson chunked up?

Yup. Whenever a woman wears black, there's usually a reason. And I don't think she's recently widowed.

Jorge never smiled and had the worst stage presence. Jasmine will be a good singer one day, but she was too young and unripened.

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1236879570
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Well, with Jasmine gone, and either Anoop or Jorge going, I'm ok with the results.

And is it just me or has Kelly Clarkson chunked up?
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Eric wrote:Only caught the recap clips as I was flipping. Only performance that sounded passable was Kris Allen's, but "Remember The Time" is pretty easy as far as MJ songs go.
I thought he was pretty good (and he and his wife are possibly the prettiest married couple ever), and I agree with Sonic that the oil rig guy isn't so bad. I do like Alison Iraheta best of the girls, but there's a reason why the finals were so lopsided this year. What I don't get is why they always are so gushing in their praise of Lil Rounds. Both of her performances so far have been totally ordinary.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Only caught the recap clips as I was flipping. Only performance that sounded passable was Kris Allen's, but "Remember The Time" is pretty easy as far as MJ songs go.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Sonic Youth wrote:because "Dancing With the Stars" is now beating you in the ratings.
Is it? I watched DWTS on Monday night and only the first 15 minutes of American Idol last night. It was cool to see Belinda Carlisle again, though she seemed a bit stiff on the dancefloor. The best, so far, is Gilles Marini--of course, the fact that he's utterly drool-worthy helps.

I did catch Adam Lambert's performance on youtube and, yeah, he's terrific--energic, exciting, a consummate showman.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Disagree. I don't think ANY of the girls are any good, and the oil rigging guy is one of the few half-decent ones. I also like the guy with the hat, whoever he is.

But Adam's the only one that puts any life into his songs. He takes a song about racial solidarity and interprerts it to mean "It don't matter if you're black or white, let's fuck." Nice conceptual coup. Just declare him the Idol, get it over with, and shut the whole show down for good because "Dancing With the Stars" is now beating you in the ratings.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I think my favorite was Irahita. My least favorite was Jasmine, though the oil rig guy is utterly forgettable.

I'm sure the surprise twist is that the bottom "X (3 in tomorrow night's case and 2 for the rest of the season)" vote getters get to stand on the stage and the judges choose which goes home.
Wesley Lovell
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I just realized that sentence you quoted made absolutely no sense as written there. Must edit.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

dws1982 wrote:Although that wonky phone number combined with a performance and critique that wasn't anything memorable. Last spot performers rarely go home though.

I voted for Nasty Girl.

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1236740778
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Sonic Youth wrote:Adam Lambert sings like a gay Axl Rose.

My sister has mentioned Axl Rose when talking about him.

They said two would go home tomorrow night, and they mentioned some twist involving the judges. They made it sound earth-shattering, but my guess is either the judges get to choose one to go home, or they get to save someone.

Jorge and Megan/Jasmine seem like the most obvious picks to go home to me. Anoop has enough goodwill built up to survive one disaster like he had tonight, but probably not more than one. Alexis could be in trouble due to that wonky phone number combined with a performance and critique that wasn't anything memorable. Last spot performers rarely go home though.

Edited By dws1982 on 1236740949
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Adam Lambert sings like a gay Axl Rose.

Which I guess makes him Freddy Mercury.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Kris is delicious. Agreed.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Well, compared to Kris, he's ordinary looking.
Wesley Lovell
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

anonymous wrote:But, yeah, Ricky Braddy got hosed. I don't know why though. The last time an ordinary looking guy who isn't the most polished performer was on Idol, he ended doing pretty well (Elliott Yamin).
Ricky Braddy ordinary-looking? Um, I have to take issue with that.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Return to “Broadcast Media”