2009 American Idol Thread

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

I think the safe ones are: Adam, Kris, Matt, Allison, Anoop and maybe Lil( although bad choice of song last night)
On the chopping block: Scott,Megan and Mike, and maybe Danny.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Still not convinced about Adam. Vocally, I thought it was somewhat unpleasant at times--which is not something characteristic of his previous performances--verging on shrill, and as usual everything about his performance seems manufactured and affected. Everything seems to be a stunt; I never detect any conviction or sincerity in his performances--it all seems like an exercise in whatever it's supposed to be an exercise in. (Country, Motown, Michael Jackson, etc.) He's like the Paul Thomas Anderson of American Idol to me, if that makes any sense. Technically, it wasn't as good as last week, but it I didn't hate it like I did last week's. And Kara, that was eight words, not six.

I am also not totally sold on Matt either. There's something about him that seems off putting. But his "Let's Get It On" was better than the rendition a couple of seasons back by a contestant who dedicated it to his parents.

Megan, however, is one of the worst singers ever to make the top ten on Idol, which is no mean feat. I don't think she's ever been less than cringeworthy. She's beautiful, but she's almost always flat, and to be honest I simply hate the sound of her voice.

Meanwhile, I think Michael has a good tone to his voice, but he's never very interesting. He seems like he'd be a good guy to have a beer with, and he'd be fun at karaoke, but not so much as a major recording star. I thought the judges were a bit harsh; it was mediocre, but there was no need to bring out the knives for that performance. (Randy made the most since in the critique of Michael.) Wouldn't be surprised to see him go home tomorrow night.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Scott go too. Would like to have a chance to see him really play the piano, because he clearly has some major skills there, given his background. His performances on the show tend to blend together. This was more upbeat than normal, but he's part of the dead weight that'll be cut before the competition really gets started.

Was glad they finally criticized Lil. Although I disagree with Simon that she's capable of doing something amazing and having a "moment". She's a total bore, more of a karaoke singer than Michael; she's never sang anything that didn't sound almost note-for-note like the original. She's incapable of bringing anything original to a song--and as much as I'm not crazy about him, at least Adam tries to do something different. I suspect she could be popular with hack songwriters because of this though.

Danny stank.

Anoop was zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Can't fault it vocally, but zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Kris was very good, and to me he just "sells" his songs a lot better than Adam. No, he's not as seasoned a performer, and doesn't possess as wide a range, but he's actually up there singing like he means it and not like it's some stunt, and that's worth a lot to me. Why does he always end up performing in the front half of the show? His tendency to sing out of the side of his mouth is somewhat distracting.

Allison was probably the best of the night, although I'm going to brand myself a Philistine and say that I have never liked "Papa Was a Rollin' Stone". She really is very good, and makes me wish that she had held off to audition next year, when it presumably won't be a guy season.

Edited By dws1982 on 1238042562
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Adam: Amazing. That he could maintain an entire song in falsetto is fantastic. Hopefully that will put to rest his critics...
Kris: Energetic, refreshing and entertaining.
Allison: She missed some lyrics, but I still think it was a strong vocal, but I come to expect nothing less from her.
Danny: What annoyed me most was hardening his D's to sound like T's...it was really distracting. I think he did have a good vocal, at least.
Matt: I liked him for once, which is a significant improvement.
Megan: I liked her version. I thought it was interesting. It may not have been a great vocal, but it was a lot more enjoyable than others tonight.
Lil: She was entirely rushed. And I don't really think she did the song justice. Ever since Hollywood week ended, I've gotten the impression that she's not living up to her potential and while this was a step closer, it wasn't enough, IMO.
Anoop: Decent vocal, but I couldn't watch b/c he seemed so uncomfortable.
Sarver: Bland as all hell. He's really just coasting at this moment.
Scott: An ok vocal, but really am tired of him.

Edited By OscarGuy on 1238032576
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

I felt extremely badly for Alexis last night, being told that she had to sing "Jolene" again, when the first time was terrible. She looked like she was pleading for her very life, not appealing to Jolene to stay away from her man. It was not a pretty sight.
I believe that before long we will see Scott and Adam both hit the dust. Kris, IMHO, will win it.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Sonic Youth wrote:But none of them (especially Kris) have a mote of personality.

Of course, you know that that's a totally subjective statement. A personality-challenged piece of cardboard couldn't have given the performance Kris gave on Tuesday. Even the almost robotic, emotion-less Alexis has a personality; it's the personality of a bitch, but it's a personality nonetheless. Maybe you're equating "PERSONALITY!" with Adam's big Broadway flair and anything less than that means there isn't one? Not sure, but not signing on here.

Edited By flipp525 on 1237475539
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I got my copy of Ring of Fire from iTunes and I know they use a recording studio, but the vocal was really fine when listening to it again. It's a radio-quality version that might be done by any major recording artist. Whether you like the version or not, I have to say Adam Lambert has the vocal talent and range to be a major recording star.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

"Jolene" really was sort of the perfect song to be singing as you're begging the judges to let you stay on the show.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Oh, don't think that didn't occur to me, too, Flipp. I still think the show is and always has been rigged, but I am curious what their justification for some of their past selections were..because some of them just plain sucked.
Wesley Lovell
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

flipp525 wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:But, this should put to rest the producers gunning for a final four including Alexis.

Well, not exactly. The judges not using their save on Alexis tonight might've be just the thing to dissuade the rumors that the final four were pre-selected right on the heels of that story coming out.
Exactly!

Oh you crafty little producers. We all know how they screw people over anyways. I told you about my niece last year.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

OscarGuy wrote:But, this should put to rest the producers gunning for a final four including Alexis.

Well, not exactly. The judges not using their save on Alexis tonight might've been just the thing to dissuade the rumors that the final four were pre-selected right on the heels of that story coming out.

Edited By flipp525 on 1237432022

dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

OscarGuy wrote:Sarver should have gone home. It WAS his genre and he couldn't muster more than an adequate performance.
He may be from Texas, and may work in a blue collar industry, but Michael has said in interviews that he is not a country singer, and that his preferences run mostly towards R&B and Soul. He would probably fare best as a country singer, but that's not the direction he wants to go, and he's said as much.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I feel quite bad for Alexis. Poor song selection killed her. Country was not her milieu. She should have been given another chance. Sarver should have gone home. It WAS his genre and he couldn't muster more than an adequate performance.

But, this should put to rest the producers gunning for a final four including Alexis.
Wesley Lovell
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

OscarGuy wrote:You know, this whole "indulgent" comment gets old for me. Simon uses it as some kind of epithet as do others on the show, yet when some people (like Sarver or Gokey) do the same thing, they aren't considered indulgent. To me, show business is all about indulgence, especially in music. Would Dolly Parton, Aermosmith or any other artist be anything if they weren't self-indulgent? Self-indulgence is almost a good quality for idols to have because it means they are confident in what they do. But I digress...
I don't think I go with this. The degree differes from person to person. There's plenty of talented people who aren't all that indulgent, but have a very generous quality about them with not a hint of disdain for the songs they sing or the personality they project during their act. If someone says "indulgent" in a negative connotation, it's a classy way of saying "preening ass".

But I'm more on your side regarding his performance. I mean, what did we expect him to do? He's a gay punk who dresses all in leather, wears a Paul Wentz haircut with fingerless gloves, and couldn't sing country in a million years. He may as well go all the way out on that limb. What else could the kid do? (Actually, he could have used Social Distortion's version of the song, but he probably didn't know it.) Granted, I've been rooting for him ever since I was congnizant of him, but I'm all for shaking up the staid status quo that the terrified producers are trying to maintain. Adam is blatantly homosexual. He's practically got Gay written across his forehead. And, as we saw last year, this bugs the producers, and especially Simon Cowell, to no end. And that's why he won't win. But I'd love to see stay on for as long as he can.

It's an easy thing to say this season because because they're a dull bunch. Some of them are decent. Kris and Matt have amazing voices, and even Anoop was pretty good last night. But none of them (especially Kris) have a mote of personality. But Adam, warped though he may be, is the most assured performer I've ever seen on American Idol, other than Kelly Clarkson.

They should ditch the girl with the flu.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I think there's a fix in pretty much every season and they know how to manipulate everything so that they get the desired result. Even though it will lead to a 7/3 guy/girl mix on the tour, I wouldn't be surprised if Alexis goes tonight. TPTB probably don't want it, but they're not going to waste the save on her, and it'll just help discredit that supposed insider leak anyway.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I guess we'll know tonight. Alexis, I think is going home tonight. So, if she doesn't, then speculation may ensue, but this wouldn't be the first time someone suggested a fix is in.
Wesley Lovell

Return to “Broadcast Media”