The American Idol Thread

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

About effing time!

Now to devote the better chunk of my time spent thinking about AI to figuring out something to like about Bo...

... naw, those 10 seconds are worth something better.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

My rankings:

01. Bo ("Stand By Me") (Surely, one of his best performances. Bravo.)
02. Bo ("Heaven") (Ditto)
03. Carrie ( "Trouble") (Quite possibly my favorite performance from her apart from "Alone")
04. Vonzell ("When You Tell Me That You Love Me") (Simon is on something. I thought she was great with this one.)
05. Anthony ("Incomplete") (I think it's one of his best performances)
06. Vonzell ("Treat Me Nice") (Not quite her best but I really dug this one)
07. Scott ("Everytime") (I think it's his best in weeks)
08. Carrie ("Bless the Broken Road") (Vocally perfect but performance was a bit meh)
09. Scott ("On Broadway") (I didn't like his rendition of one of my personal favorites. Minus points for the cocky attitude)
10. Anthony ("Poison Ivy") (One of the worst performances I have seen by a mile.)

SHOULD GO: I would say Anthony but Scott's overdue for a booting.

WILL GO: Maybe Anthony or Vonzell but if more people were turned off by Scott's attitude than won over by it, say 'bye-bye'.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

1. Bo - "Stand By Me" (This is near the level of his "Whipping Post" performance to me.)
2. Carrie - "Trouble" (Her best performance so far, I think. Fun and almost sexy in a way that she's never been before.)
3. Bo - "Heaven" (I thought it was better than the original song. Didn't have any idea it was still on the charts though, especially at number two on AC.)
4. Anthony - "Incomplete" (One of his best performances. Not a good song, but it was a great song choice for him, big cheese factory that he is.)
5. Vonzell - "When You Tell Me That You Love Me" (Vocally, her performances just don't hold up for the most part. This was one of her better performances, even though it had some problems. The choice does seem a little bit like cheating though. )
6. Scott - "On Broadway" (Probably the best thing he's done.)
7. Carrie - "Bless The Broken Road" (I didn't think this really worked that well. I thought she was all over the place. Simon's "robot" comment makes me think he reads the TWOP boards.)
8. Scott - "Everytime" (I never heard of this song before. Not very bad for him. Attitude was awful though. He has less reason to be cocky than anyone who's been on that stage this season.)
9. Anthony - "Poison Ivy" (I could barely hear him in some spots. He didn't seem comfortable and didn't even try to sell it as the silly novelty song that it is.)
10. Vonzell - "Treat Me Nice" (As someone at TWOP said: "this is the one where her 'only knows how to sing in the key of V' habit has finally outweighed the cute factor." This was just awful. She was beyond off-key; She was nowhere near the key. There was no relation to the key. As another person at TWOP said: "Even the key of V would've been a giant improvement...She didn't pick one key, she picked fifty.")

The bottom two will be some combination of Vonzell, Anthony, and Scott. Scott got that dreaded second spot--in all three previous Idol series, the second performer has been eliminated on final five night. Plus, witht he "Vote For The Worst" campaign getting so much attention, TPTB could easily use that as an excuse to chunk some of his votes, mainly those from "power voters". (They can do that--read the closing credits if you doubt.) If he doesn't go this week, I suspect Simon may lower the boom next week like he did on Jasmine last year: Telling him that he's done well to get this far but that "it must end tonight". They went soft with his criticism, whereas they might've been a lot more vicious a few weeks before with the same performance. I think they really want him out and they're trying to bait his fans into thinking he's safe. I hope it works. Wouldn't be surprised to see one of the other two go either. Simon seemed to be encouraging Vonzell's fans to pick up the phone, but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't work. Anthony's a confusing case. On the basis of his first performance, his fans might be trying to save him, but his second was much better, and he got Simon's praise with that one. One thing that could help him: Constantine's fan's (the ones who aren't too bitter to vote) have to go somewhere, don't they? I think Anthony (because of the cheese factor they both have in spades) and Bo (because of the "rock" thing) are the two most likely to get votes from Constantine's fans. But still, I wouldn't be surprised if Anthony got sent home on his birthday, which would really have to suck.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Maybe this has something to do with it:

http://www.griffinity.com/dave/
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

From EW:
"Bice's past is unlikely to affect his status as one of the five remaining Idol finalists, as Fox says he let producers know about his history early on. In a statement released Wednesday, the network said, ''The information disclosed on various salacious gossip websites regarding Bo Bice's past was already well-known to Fox and the producers of American Idol. From the beginning, Bo was honest and forthcoming in revealing his previous indiscretions and their outcome.''

Emphasis added. The statement was released Wednesday? Odd that this information didn't show up online on The Smoking Gun until Thursday. Is it
A) A typo?
B) Indicative of pyschic powers on the part of Fox?
C) Indicative that they already knew the information had been leaked? (Because they leaked it themselves? Fox and The Smoking Gun once shared the same parent company, although I think The Smoking Gun has changed hands since.)

----
That was from the first article about it; The articles that have been posted online tonight have corrected the "mistake".
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

The Smoking Gun just released today that Bo has an arrest record from 2001, when he was arrested in Huntsville for felony cocaine posession. He completed a diversion program or something, and the charge was vacated, but this could make Carrie Underwhelm the sure favorite to win. Or maybe this'll give him a chance to do one of those "I turned my life around" things in one of his upcoming profiles on the show? But either the people who do background checks for the show aren't doing their jobs, or there's a mole feeding information to the media at the exact right time.

Although the timing on this press release is pretty nice for Bo, since everyone will be talking about Constantine for a few more days.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

After this week's results, I'm afeared there's nothing to stop a Top 2 showdown between Bo and Scott. Gee, who shall I root for?
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

RE, Carrie Underwhelm: It wasn't the genre, anonymous. I don't think any serious country music fan would find much, if anything, good about that performance.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Another bad week. My rankings:

01. Bo (It wasn't his best performance but he is the best this week)
-
-
-
02. Vonzell (Uneven performance. Mediocre in parts. Great in parts. Overall, aiiiight)
03. Anthony (One of his best performances ever.)
-
-
-
-
-
04. Carrie (I don't know whether it's my bias against the genre but I just didn't feel her tonight.)
05. Constantine (The performance was good. The vocals were horrendous.)
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
06. Scott (Please go away).

SHOULD GO: Scott

WILL GO: Scott (Please!!!)
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Although I don't normally watch this show, I actually voted for the first time. My vote went to Anthony. Last week and this week I saw him perform and liked him. He's also cute. There's my two cents.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
kooyah
Graduate

Post by kooyah »

Sonic Youth wrote:“[Abdul] told [Clark] she wanted to look out for him and be his ‘special friend,’” according to the Globe article.

OMG Paula Abdul = Michael Jackson
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Boring week. Sorry for my number one choice Eric. But watching the performances again, without someone yapping through them all, it was basically a tie for first, and a tie for last.

1. Bo (Other than the clothes--Granny Madge needs to quit making commercials reminding us to vote for him, and get back to the sewing machine--I don't get the hate this week. I actually though it was as good as the original. To me he's far and away the best left; the only one who consistently manages to deliver the goods as a singer and a performer.)
2. Anthony (I never heard of this song before, but I thought he was actually really good; his best performance by a mile. I think he actually seems to connect to his songs a lot more than CarrieOkie does, even when he doesn't sound good. The start was kind of weak, but he did really well overall.)
(Ruben Studdard sized gap.)
3. Vonzell (She has a good voice, but her voice teacher hasn't been earning her pay, I think. She's at her best on fun "performance" type songs, when her vocal limitations aren't so apparent, and where it isn't so apparent that she goes through about ten different keys in each performance. Not good.)
4. Carrie (To me she's always just been a voice--she never really connects to the songs I think--and tonight she wasn't even a voice. Awful song, and not a good performance of it. When Paula has a hard time finding the bright side, it's a pretty bad performance. Anyone on Nashville Star would wipe the floor with Carrie and her melon head.)
5. Scott (He had some pretty bad notes here and there, but for the most part he didn't sound as awful as he has in the past. But this performance out-roboted Carrie. I didn't think there was any emotion at all. And with a song dripping with sentiment like this, there's not excuse to sing it like that. On other message boards, people seemed to think that it was emotionally sung, but I didn't see it.)
6. Constantine (The whole thing tonight was bad, no mistake on that. He confuses me though. He has a weaker voice than at least four of the remaining contestants, but the songs he actually tries to sing are his best. His big "PERFORMANCES" always come off as bad karaoke.)

I think that Scott's going home, even though he did get the pimp slot tonight. (Only once in AI history has the last performer been voted out--the Ruben/Clay final two showdown.) If this season has shown is anything, it's that America does what it's told: They voted Janay out when Simon told them to. They voted Nadia out when Simon told them to. They voted Bo into the bottom three when Simon told them to. Simon's told America to vote Scott out, and they'll act accordingly I think.
paperboy
Temp

Post by paperboy »

Sonic Youth wrote:“But he claims she warned him that he couldn’t tell anyone or she’d make things very hard for him, cautioning, ‘Don’t screw me or you’ll be sorry.’”

"Don't screw me or you'll be sorry"?

Paula never makes any sense.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Ex-‘Idol’ contestant claims Abdul affair
Report: Clark outlines relationship in book proposal

By Jeannette Walls
MSNBC
Updated: 6:20 p.m. ET April 21, 2005

Has Paula Abdul been judging more than the singing talents of the hopefuls on “American Idol”?

Corey Clark, a 24-year-old former contestant, is claiming that he had a “secret affair” with the 42-year-old judge from the hit show, according to the new issue of Globe magazine. Clarke reportedly is claiming that he had sex with Abdul in the guest room of her house, that she paid some of his expenses and promised to fund his career to the tune of $2 million, and that she made him vow to keep their relationship a secret. The allegations are reportedly from a book proposal that Clark has been shopping to publishers.

“[Abdul] told [Clark] she wanted to look out for him and be his ‘special friend,’” according to the Globe article. “But he claims she warned him that he couldn’t tell anyone or she’d make things very hard for him, cautioning, ‘Don’t screw me or you’ll be sorry.’” The proposal apparently also describes how Abdul once came up behind Clark, rubbed his neck, and then they began “kissing passionately and feeling each other up” as they moved to the guest bedroom.

Clark got booted from the show after it was revealed that he faced charges of assaulting his teenage sister and clashing with police while resisting arrest.

The article also says that Clark was told that another "American Idol" contestant, Justin Guarini, "bragged about having an affair with Paula." Guarini's rep denies there was any affair.

Abdul’s spokeswoman didn’t return The Scoop’s repeated calls for comment, but the Globe article says that Abdul “disputes the allegations contained in the book proposal.”

Separately, ABC is reportedly working on a “potentially explosive exposé” on “American Idol,” possibly about “the relationship between ‘Idol’ judges and contestants,” according to Variety magazine.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Maybe "familiar" wasn't the right word, but I knew of him before he was on TV. Bo and his band have played at some of the biggest music festivals in the area (Twice at Big Spring Jam, when they were called Purge; Three times at WC Handy festival), and while I never saw him live, his band was one of those that most people knew of if they kept up with bands from the North Alabama area. They even got a little bit of radio play on some local stations, I believe.

Return to “Broadcast Media”