[PO] Penelope's Elimination Game

Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

When do we change the order of the list again?

Right now:

Flipp
Akash
Eric
Okri
Rudeboy
Penelope
rainBard
OscarGuy
Bog
dws
Zahveed
FilmFan720
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

I'm with you on that OscarGuy. In the Heat of the Night is certainly one of the creakier Best Picture winners that decade.

Somehow I've managed to avoid watching the other Poitier film in the line-up. One of these days I'll probably get around to it, if only to analyze how it makes use of its San Francisco setting. Richard Fleischer's reputation as a director seems generally better than Stanley Kramer's, but that hasn't been enough for me to revisit Doctor Doolittle since being relatively bored by it as a youngster.

Believe it or not, I only just saw Bonnie and Clyde for the first time earlier this year. I guess I'd been consciously or not waiting for this opportunity: a seemingly pristine print projected on the screen at the Bay Area's temple to serious cinephilia, the Pacific Film Archive in Berkeley. It was introduced by David Thomson, who then led a discussion of the film and its making afterward.

After all that buildup, I only mildly liked the film. I gotta go with the standby I've revisited the most often (and another San Francisco/Berekely film). The Graduate still holds up in just about every way.

flipp: you've seen a lot of older films. How about Best Director 1937?
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

When do we change the order of the list again?
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Boy is this another easy one. Road to Perdition was ok, but far from deserving the heaps of praise it got from people after Conrad L. Hall died.

Edward Lachman's lensing of Far From Heaven is one of the most gorgeous and memorable I've seen. It was a crime he didn't win.

Well, rainBard, I don't know a good category for you, so I'm giving you a category that most of the alternatives are at least somewhat better than the chosen.

Best Picture, 1967.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Okri wrote:While I like Woody Allen as a writer, I never quite understood how Purple Rose of Cairo became so beloved. I guess it specifically appeals to the cinephile in all of us. Also, I'm (unfairly) comparing it to Woody's best screenplays, so it comes up a little short.
Funny, I've always thought it was his best screenplay.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Well, we can discard Witness right of the bat. It's victories like this that remind us why every hates the Oscar version of the 80's.

Next, let's get rid of Back to the Future. It's entertaining enough film, but you'd have to kill me several times before I declared a Robert Zemeckis film the best of anything (even though this is him in the 80's, before he got all self serious. And yeah, I still like Contact.)

While I like Woody Allen as a writer, I never quite understood how Purple Rose of Cairo became so beloved. I guess it specifically appeals to the cinephile in all of us. Also, I'm (unfairly) comparing it to Woody's best screenplays, so it comes up a little short.

So now it's between Brazil and The Official Story. While I think Brazil's the better film, I think I'm gonna give it to The Official Story. It's remarkably well told.

Oscarguy, Best Cinematography: 2002.

Edited By Okri on 1197343180
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Ha, I guess something else was expected. Oh well, it is what it is. :cool:
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Ugh. Thanks for nothing, Zahveed :p
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Zahveed wrote:Hm, I don't know about this one. I always enjoyed John Williams, so eliminate the winner and replace with Angela's Ashes.
Sacrilege! :)
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Hm, I don't know about this one. I always enjoyed John Williams, so eliminate the winner and replace with Angela's Ashes.

Okri - Best Original Screenplay 1985
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

No. I finished college this past spring and am beginning to get work in Los Angeles, and as I ease into my 27th year (we're old! I know this because I'm old! I was a Junior in high school when I started pissing around here.), I find myself on the last deadline before ineligibility for the Israel Birthright program so I am off, taking my first vacation in since New Year's of 2001. I can't wait. I have family but I will be unable to visit them due to the rigid structure of the Birthright program.
"How's the despair?"
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Sabin, that's so cool. Have you been to Israel before? Do you have family there? Have a great time!

I love Day-Lewis in My Left Foot and since I would've had a hard time choosing between him and Freeman, I don't mind keeping my passes and giving this one to Morgan Freeman in Driving Miss Daisy.

Am I still passing it to Zahveed? Best Score, 1999.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Sabin wrote:Going to Israel for two weeks and then Chi-town for New Year's. I don't wanna play no more. Peace, love, and egg nog. Later.
Enjoy, Sabin!

So, OscarGuy, you'll be handing off to Rain Bard, who will be handing off to Flipp.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Whew, Penelope, what a category. I safely can say that I really have no attachment to any of these nominees, as they seem to represent all that was wrong with this category in the 1980s. Since I can't stand Stevie Wonder's song, I can safely get rid of it, but what to replace it with? I will say the theme from "Ghostbusters." It is certainly the most fun.

Akash: Best Actor 1989.
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Going to Israel for two weeks and then Chi-town for New Year's. I don't wanna play no more. Peace, love, and egg nog. Later.
"How's the despair?"

Return to “Other Film Discussions”