The Official Review Thread of 2012

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Re: The Official Review Thread of 2012

Post by Sabin »

The Bourne Legacy (Tony Gilroy)

I fear that whatever compromises were made to this film in retooling it into a possible franchise rebirth might prove needless as it doesn't seem like anyone is clamoring for more Renner and Weisz. Although by all accounts, Gilroy's original script for The Bourne Ultimatum was irresponsibly indulgent, I find it hard to believe that he truly sat down and decided it would be a good idea to end this movie like this. Absurd non-ending. So if a sequel to Legacy never arrives, a pretty solid film will have been intentionally lessened for nothing.

I say pretty solid because the second half tends to lag. I can't think of a better example of how ten minutes could have easily become five than when Renner and Weisz traverse to the Philippines. What first separated the Bourne series from other pretenders is that it realized the suspense potential that comes with surveillance. People/nerds shouting at each other from across the room actually reemphasizes a hopeless world where an individual can make all the difference in the world. By embracing the times, it reenergizes the genre in a way that romcoms still flail in the Facebook era. The Bourne Legacy features all the players being removed from the table for good once the actions of Jason Bourne compromises the existence of the agency. They all take green and blue pills to stay (super-)active, and their "Chems" are substituted one day for a new yellow that shuts them down. The only one to escape is Aaron Cross (Jeremy Renner) who was secluded in action while this went on. Although some of the logistics are a bit wonky, the film begins exceptionally crosscutting between Cross in the snowy mountains and everything going to hell in Virginia, and before we can really wonder what Cross is doing, all the agents collapse like puppets with their strings cut. This is the kind of thing that Tony Gilroy does very well. He sells mood. He's not nearly as smart as he thinks he is and much of this film doesn't hold up to much scrutiny, but the mood of most of the proceedings is palpably engrossing.

Jeremy Renner is more involving a presence than Matt Damon's persona-tradining anonymity. He's a pill-popping addict to go with his uber-confidence which directs his cool in a way that remained abstract for Jason Bourne. We should have at least three B-flicks with this guy every year. I would say that Weisz is playing a stock character except for a scene that happens about midway through the film, and that it happens that late is testament to Gilroy milking the mood for all his can early on...which I like. One of Weisz's coworkers has a meltdown and starts executing everyone in the lab. Afterwards, she tries to flee the country and some agents come to her house, one of them is a shrink. These two have one of the most unexpectedly honest conversations involving gun violence survivors I've ever seen. Some of the lines are coded and it's possible this was not Gilroy's specific intention but it grounds Weisz' meltdown in something incredibly real. As I leaned over to my buddy to comment about how grounded this all is, the film explodes into a fantastic action sequence as good as anything in the series thus far. Paul Greengrass' Waterloo sequence was incredibly fun but a total cheat. This Gilroy sequence is absolutely the real deal, and it's full of little touches like Weisz firing an empty gun at Renner, still in shock.

And from there, it loses a lot of momentum. There is some good stuff in it, but it's just a little dull in stretches that could have been cut down. I think a lot of the disappointment that comes with this film must be because it's a Bourne movie and not something new. Were this a standalone espionage flick, we might be hailing it as a mild sensation. And then it would likely have the kind of ending that would put it over the top.

Could have been better. Has been quite worse.
"How's the despair?"
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

THE CABIN IN THE WOODS
Cast: Kristin Connolly, Chris Hemsworth, Richard Jenkins, Bradley Whitford, Fran Kranz, Amy Acker, Anna Hutchison, Brian White, Jesse Williams, Sigourney Weaver, Tom Lenk.
Dir: Drew Goddard.

This got a theatrical release here but I opted not to see it since I heard it was butchered by the distributors. I'm so glad I did. I can't imagine watching this with the gore (and to a lesser extent, the nudity) toned down. But beyond that, this film is a wonderfully clever deconstruction of the horror genre, more so than, dare I say, Scream. I don't wish to reveal too much of the plot. Part of the joy here is to let all the unexpected twists and turns to unfold before your eyes. It's equal parts funny and scary with co-writer and producer Joss Whedon's quality stamp all over it.

Oscar Prospects: None but if there's any justice it should be in the running for Original Screenplay.

Grade: A-
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

CAPTIVE
Cast: Isabelle Huppert, Ronnie Lazaro, Raymond Bagatsing, Angel Aquino, Rustica Carpio, Allan Paule, Mon Confiado, Jon Achaval, Mercedes Cabral, Katherine Mulville, Marc Zanetta, Sid Lucero, Coco Martin, Anita Linda.
Dir: Brillante Mendoza.

Director Brillante Mendoza's latest opus is about a group of people vacationing in a Philippine beach resort taken hostage by a fundamentalist Filipino-Muslim separatist terrorist group, the Abu Sayyaf. Isabelle Huppert plays a French Christian social worker. Just like with Mendoza's previous work, Kinatay, this is a challenge to get through. The film unfolds unconventionally, foregoing the expected narrative trappings and instead lets the film just happen, almost documentary-style (it is quite loosely based on a true story that actually happened). It's this structure that makes the film a trial to sit through, at times excruciating but people open to Mendoza's style (an increased budget allows him to be more visually gorgeous this time around) will find the film rather rewarding and thought provoking as both the hostages and their captors are humanized throughout. Not my favorite Mendoza film but a solid entry nevertheless. Huppert is of course predictably outstanding. It helps that Brillante is fantastic with actresses.

Oscar Prospects: This is being considered to be our country's submission for the Best Foreign Language Film category. The film's mixed reception in the festival circuit as well as the rather concerning amount of English in the film could kibosh its chances of being submitted. Huppert's presence could give it a fighting chance at a nom if picked.

Grade: B+
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

PARANORMAN
Cast: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Tucker Albrizzi, Anna Kendrick, Casey Affleck, John Goodman, Leslie Mann, Jeff Garlin, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, Elaine Stritch, Bernard Hill, Jodelle Ferland, Tempestt Bledsoe, Alex Borstein (voices).
Dirs: Chris Butler and Sam Fell.

This film caught me by surprise. I never thought I would *love* this as much as I did. A misfit young boy sees ghosts and is taken to task to save his town from a witches' curse. It's visually gorgeous stop-motion animation combined with modern-day CGI. It's got lots of funny, scary (yes, scary) and sweet moments along with very clever winks at classic horror films. I see that this is not doing that gangbusters at the box-office but I do think this has the potential to have a strong cult following a la Nightmare Before Christmas. It's my favorite animated film of the year so far and one of the best films of year so far period.

Oscar Prospects: Should get in Animated Feature and Original Score. Maybe Original Screenplay but not likely.

Grade: A-
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

THE CAMPAIGN
Cast: Will Ferrell, Zach Galifianakis, Jason Sudeikis, Dylan McDermott, Dan Aykroyd, John Lithgow, Katherine LaNasa, Sarah Baker, Brian Cox, Karen Murayama, Jack McBrayer.
Dir: Jay Roach.

This seems like a winning combo: Funny men Will Ferrell and Zach Galifianakis in a broad political satire. They're great and there are some genuine laughs to be had but I'll have to agree that this could have been a lot more biting and aggressive than it is. It flirted with it, it hinted at it and the actors are all game but it never did go to that next level. But as it is, it's a funny romp.

Oscar Prospects: None.

Grade: B.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

MOONRISE KINGDOM
Cast: Jared Gilman, Kara Hayward, Bruce Willis, Edward Norton, Bill Murray, Frances McDormand, Tilda Swinton, Jason Schwartzman, Bob Balaban, Harvey Keitel.
Dir: Wes Anderson.

I just flew three hours in a plane and went to a whole different country. What's the first thing I do? Watch a movie, of course (that's the way I roll). It turns out to be my favorite film of the year so far. The plot is simple: Two 12 year olds fall in love and run away throwing their parents and their town into a tizzy. The film is pure Wes Anderson: From the framing, the bright, colorful production design, the music, etc. It's also undeniably quirky, twee, hipsterish, whatever-you-wanna-call-it. In the hands of a less competent director, these types of things often irritate the hell out of me but in the hands of Wes Anderson, he uses it to enhance and complement the story he wants to tell, never sacrificing character and depth. Jared Gilman and Kara Hayward are great as the lead kids and supported very well by the veteran adult supporting cast. Fantastic score, cinematography and design, as well.

Oscar Prospects: As far as I'm concerned, this deserves Best Picture, Best Director, Best Original Screenplay, Best Art Direction, Best Costume Design, Best Cinematography and Best Original Score.

Grade: A.
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

anonymous1980 wrote:Wouldn't be against a Best Actor and Best Actress nom for Streep and Jones respectively
Then Tommy Lee Jones may be the ugliest woman ever up for the award.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

HOPE SPRINGS
Cast: Meryl Streep, Tommy Lee Jones, Steve Carell, Brett Rice, Jean Smart, Elisabeth Shue, Mimi Rogers, Damian Young.
Dir: David Frankel.

On paper, this sounds like a terrible idea: A middle-aged couple go into an intensive couples' therapy to remedy their stagnant, passionless marriage. But, surprise, surprise, thanks to the acting talents and good chemistry between Meryl Streep and Tommy Lee Jones, the potentially dull, trite, been-there-done-that premise flies and becomes a very nice delightful dramedy. It's really a refreshing remedy to all the high-octane adolescent franchise action pictures of the summer.

Oscar Prospects: Wouldn't be against a Best Actor and Best Actress nom for Streep and Jones respectively but Golden Globe noms seem more likely.

Grade: B.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

THE EXPENDABLES 2
Cast:Sylvester Stallone, Jason Statham, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Bruce Willis, Yu Nan, Jet Li, Terry Crews, Randy Couture, Dolph Lundgren, Jean-Claude Van Damme, Chuck Norris, Liam Hemsworth, Scott Adkins, Amanda Ooms, Charisma Carpenter.
Dir: Simon West.

I didn't see the first one. But I saw this one out of a combination of boredom and the fact that it got somewhat decent reviews. I didn't expect this to be any other than big, dumb, over-the-top violent action and that's what it was but still, I was kind of meh about all the proceedings. Although this one has some cheeky moments, the action wasn't enough to wow me even though they obviously tried hard. It's entertaining enough but disposable and not quite the movie it wanted to be.

Oscar Prospects: None.

Grade: C.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

The Campaign (Jay Roach)

If a comedy makes me laugh, then I can't entirely dislike it. Although I wish that Adam McKay had been at the helm to steer this film into the realm of something a bit more manic and outlandish, there are some laughs in this film. You definitely see that baby getting punched in the face. The force of his punch forces the baby's cheeks to ripple with seismic force. And later on, he accidentally punches Uggie from The Artist. It ends rather flaccidly. Jay Roach is not a great director of political satires. Or even good ones. I didn't like Recount or Game Change. This is a better film because it's funnier. The point he's making here trumps both of those films if only because it's a simpler one. It might have been a funnier one had our current political climate not dwarfed some of these choice moments in sheer repugnancy. Nothing in The Campaign is as shockingly funny as Rick Perry's Strong Ad.

Some laughs. Worth renting.
"How's the despair?"
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

THE RAID: REDEMPTION
Cast: Iko Uwais, Joe Taslim, Donny Alamsyah, Yayan Ruhianm, Pierre Gruno, Tegar Setrya, Ray Sahetapy.
Dir: Gareth Evans.

The plot relatively simple: An elite team of police raids an apartment building ruled by a notorious crime lord with most of its tenants hardened criminals and druggies. Bloody gun play and brutal fights ensue. I've seen A LOT of violence in my years of watching films but in this film, there are several moments of graphic brutality that made me flinch. Despite that, I'm still a dude who really got a real kick out of seeing the kick-ass (literally) fight scenes and the action. It's not as good as John Woo at his best but it's still an extremely well-made action picture.

Oscar Prospects: I guess it has a shot in Sound Editing and Sound Mixing.

Grade: B+
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

flipp525 wrote:Williams continues her smart career trajectory of attacking roles for the thinking actress.
Most apt description of Michelle Williams.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Take This Waltz (Sarah Polley, 2012)

While it takes a while to get off the ground, I found the Canadian drama Take This Waltz (Sarah Polley's sophomore feature after the successful Away From Her) to be quite a refreshing character study, perhaps more rooted in writerly conventions than filmic ones. And the director pulled off the impossible feat of not making me want to club Seth Rogen (who plays the unknowing husband writing a chicken cookbook) through the movie screen.

Michelle Williams turns in a wonderfully tempered performance as a woman who makes a connection with a stranger on a trip only to find that they live across the street from each other upon their return home (the premise of the film sounds like the lyrics of "Ring Them Bells" from Liza with a 'Z' Anyone?). The man she becomes attracted to (played by Luke Kirby) pulls a rickshaw and the two arrange clandestine meetings in order to see each other. What works best about this film is the way the director lingers on the mechanics of each relationship. Rogen and Williams are cuddly and cute with each other however their easy affection obviously highlights a lack of real depth, something that's highlighted in their anniversary dinner scene. Rogen is that sweet, cuddly bear that you hook up in college and then kind of move away from. One of the most affecting key scenes takes place on the "Scrambler", an amusement park ride at Toronto Island that whips Williams and Kirby around in the dark with disco lights "Video Killed the Radio Star" playing in the background. As the ride comes to a climax and the two characters see each other, they mutually realize that there's no longer any denying their feelings for each other.

There's a great supporting performance by Sarah Silverman who's unexpectedly astute as the drunk prophetess in the film's 11th hour.

Williams continues her smart career trajectory of attacking roles for the thinking actress.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Beasts of the Southern Wild: terrific. I'm very curious about how this film traverses the critics/awards terrain, but it feels like such a singular experience (despite having some obvious kin and forefathers). Wallis and Henry are both marvelous.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

THE BOURNE LEGACY
Cast: Jeremy Renner, Rachel Weisz, Edward Norton, Stacy Keach, Oscar Isaac, Dennis Boutsikaris, David Strathairn, Joan Allen, Scott Glenn, Albert Finney, Donna Murphy, Corey Stoll, Zeljko Ivanek, Michael Chernus.
Dir: Tony Gilroy.

I'm not the biggest fan of the Bourne franchise so I really don't regard this as any kind of sacrilege. This one doesn't have the title character or the actor who plays him, Matt Damon but that's not the film's biggest problem at all. Its biggest problem is that it's a fairly generic action picture that's both way overlong and ends way too abruptly. It is however made quite watchable by the great performances of Jeremy Renner and Rachel Weisz. Plus the climactic chase sequence in Manila is pretty cool to watch (especially as a Filipino, of course).

Oscar Prospects: Sound Mixing and Sound Editing.

Grade: C+

Return to “2012”