81st Annual Academy Awards Nominations

rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Mister Tee wrote:
Eric wrote:I wouldn't say I'm "complaining" about this year's nominees so much, given that this year was such an underwhelming year in general. WALL-E and Sally Hawkins aside, I can't say there was anything even remotely within Oscar's range that could'a/didn'a get nominated.

That said, Jenkins in Burn After Reading >>> Jenkins in The Visitor. (Hell, I've heard some people say he's even better in Step-Brothers.)

I just saw Burn After Reading this weekend and had the precise same response. I have to wait till I see Benjamin Button to decide whether it's true of Brad as well.
oh, trust me. it is true. brad should only do comedies and roles that require him shirtless (but not when he has the body of an 80 year old).
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Eric wrote:I wouldn't say I'm "complaining" about this year's nominees so much, given that this year was such an underwhelming year in general. WALL-E and Sally Hawkins aside, I can't say there was anything even remotely within Oscar's range that could'a/didn'a get nominated.

That said, Jenkins in Burn After Reading >>> Jenkins in The Visitor. (Hell, I've heard some people say he's even better in Step-Brothers.)
I just saw Burn After Reading this weekend and had the precise same response. I have to wait till I see Benjamin Button to decide whether it's true of Brad as well.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I guess I'm just saying that I can find any number of things to harp on this year (and, maybe I should've been clear, but I'm talking specifically about the acting nods). No Sally Hawkins, Eddie Marsan, Samantha Morton, Emile Hirsch, James Franco, even Michael Kelly, although he was the biggest longshot of the century, all for example. However, I'm pleased that such under-the-radar actors such as Leo (the best thing about 21 Grams) and Jenkins (who's been consistently good for years now and probably should've landed a nod for North Country) have been cited this year. That's all.

Edited By flipp525 on 1233068743
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

I wouldn't say I'm "complaining" about this year's nominees so much, given that this year was such an underwhelming year in general. WALL-E and Sally Hawkins aside, I can't say there was anything even remotely within Oscar's range that could'a/didn'a get nominated.

Edited By Eric on 1233067745
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I don't see how anyone could be complaining all THAT much about this year's nominations when the Academy saw fit to nominate such journeyman actors as Richard Jenkins and Melissa Leo in early-release small budget films, the up-and-coming Taraji P. Henson and the dependably talented and sure to be heading places Viola Davis. Sure there were several missteps (the Sally Hawkins snub stings), but I'm pleased that these performers somehow made the cut.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Johnny Guitar wrote:Levity:

http://www.theonion.com/content....for_any
that is very funny, though it reminds me of how unfairly snubbed he was for supporting actor in FAR FROM HEAVEN. :(
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

Johnny Guitar wrote:Levity:

http://www.theonion.com/content....for_any
Ahaha, take that Dennis Quaid!
Johnny Guitar
Assistant

Post by Johnny Guitar »

Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

rolotomasi99 wrote:
Greg wrote:Here's a theory I have about this year's Oscar nominations. In these times of extreme economic distress, there is a natural inclination for Academy members, as well as a multitude of others, to seek out feel-good films. The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button and Slumdog Millionaire dominated the nominations becuase they were the only well-made-feel-good movies of this year. Discuss.

well, i have not seen it yet, but would your theory then support overwhelming support for the film HAPPY-GO-LUCKY. that movie is all about staying optimistic no matter how hard life is, right?

also, i would never call THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON "feel good." the movie was neither entertaining nor uplifting. it was a very beautiful but heartless film. to me MILK was much more about the celebration of a person's life than THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON. both involved the sad death of the main character, but to me the biopic was much better than the fantasy-film at asking its audience to appreciate the value of every individual life. to me that was the entire message of 2008: anyone can change history, every life has value, never give up, always give them hope, yes we can!
Very interesting points made concerning the themes of 2008. Where 2007 was about deceit and betrayal, 2008 is about the value of lives, relationships, and what it takes to change a world that tries to destroy these things. We can find examples of this anywhere from Wall-E to The Dark Knight, Revolutionary Road to Milk, and Gran Torino to Slumdog Millionaire. Not all of them are uplifting but there's a common underlying theme to it all.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Greg wrote:Here's a theory I have about this year's Oscar nominations. In these times of extreme economic distress, there is a natural inclination for Academy members, as well as a multitude of others, to seek out feel-good films. The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button and Slumdog Millionaire dominated the nominations becuase they were the only well-made-feel-good movies of this year. Discuss.

well, i have not seen it yet, but would your theory then support overwhelming support for the film HAPPY-GO-LUCKY. that movie is all about staying optimistic no matter how hard life is, right?

also, i would never call THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON "feel good." the movie was neither entertaining nor uplifting. it was a very beautiful but heartless film. to me MILK was much more about the celebration of a person's life than THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON. both involved the sad death of the main character, but to me the biopic was much better than the fantasy-film at asking its audience to appreciate the value of every individual life. to me that was the entire message of 2008: anyone can change history, every life has value, never give up, always give them hope, yes we can!

Edited By rolotomasi99 on 1233001361
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Here's a theory I have about this year's Oscar nominations. In these times of extreme economic distress, there is a natural inclination for Academy members, as well as a multitude of others, to seek out feel-good films. The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button and Slumdog Millionaire dominated the nominations becuase they were the only well-made-feel-good movies of this year. Discuss.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Of course.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Now you're just being sarcastic...but at least it seems you're ready to move on.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

OscarGuy wrote:It doesn't matter how old someone is. I used children as an example, but I've known many battered and abused women in my life and all of them come from a similar place. They are treated like shit by their husbands, sometimes beaten, but often verbally abused. They can be told and made to feel like they are useless or worthless. It's not a kind thing to say to anyone. I don't care who you are.
Ok, I'm sorry, I didn't know that they were in such a situation. Sorry again, ok? They are not useless, their life has an important meaning.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

They suck. I hate you. ;)
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”