Fan campaign urges "SNL" to make Betty White host

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

anonymous wrote:
Damien wrote:Those of us who were young and hip when SNL started (i.e. 1975) have not given it a thought in 20 years. Tee and Big, feel free to contradict me.
Try to check out the Celebrity Jeopardy sketches with Will Ferrell (as Alex Trebek) and Darrell Hammond (as Sean Connery). They're HIGH-LARIOUS.

"I'll take Anal Bum Cover for 500, Alex!"
I'm afraid with that assertion you're only proving Damien's point for those of us who were present at the creation.

For 30 years now, people have been promoting this or that "new generation" of SNL players as having revitalized the show, and it's always the same. There might be a few scattered high points, but by and large the show is agony to watch for more than ten minutes. Will Ferrell is somewhat less anoying than Adam Sandler or Rob Schneider or David Spade (or the many others over the years I'm mercifully forgetting), but hilarious? Gilda and Belushi (John, not Jim) and Bill Murray were hilarious. These other guys, not even close. (Tina Fey is lovely, and provided some choice Palin parody, but I turned off even those shows right after the opening sketches)

Sorry to be the old timer kvetching how much better things were in his day, but SNL is the classic example of how mediocrity or worse gets to be accepted as the norm as years pass.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Damien wrote:Those of us who were young and hip when SNL started (i.e. 1975) have not given it a thought in 20 years. Tee and Big, feel free to contradict me.
Try to check out the Celebrity Jeopardy sketches with Will Ferrell (as Alex Trebek) and Darrell Hammond (as Sean Connery). They're HIGH-LARIOUS.

"I'll take Anal Bum Cover for 500, Alex!"
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Damien wrote:That's the beauty of YouTube -- you can watch a comedy show's highlights (it's how I watch Colbert and Stewart) without giving over a full half-hour/hour/90 minutes of your life
I can understand watching highlights of SNL on YouTube..........but isn't doing the same with Colbert and Stewart a crime?
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Big Magilla wrote:Well, I did watch Tina Fey's Palin imitations, but that was on YouTube.
That's the beauty of YouTube -- you can watch a comedy show's highlights (it's how I watch Colbert and Stewart) without giving over a full half-hour/hour/90 minutes of your life
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Well, I did watch Tina Fey's Palin imitations, but that was on YouTube.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Those of us who were young and hip when SNL started (i.e. 1975) have not given it a thought in 20 years. Tee and Big, feel free to contradict me.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

She needs to do a song with The Lonely Island.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I'd love to see that.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Fan campaign urges `SNL' to make Betty White host

NEW YORK (AP) - More than 188,000 people on Facebook are urging "Saturday Night Live" to make Betty White a host.

The campaign has been gaining followers and attention, just as the 88-year-old actress has become more ubiquitous. She was given a lifetime achievement award at the Screen Actors Guild Awards and starred in a Super Bowl commercial for Snickers that has ranked as one of the game's most popular.

The Facebook page, which isn't affiliated with White, says she would be a "fantastic" host and that it would be a terrific way to honor her.

Representatives for White said she had no comment. NBC is also not commenting.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler

Return to “Broadcast Media”