Eurovision Song Contest 2009

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

I know where those three countries are. Don't know much about the contest itself, though.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Ah, our yearly massive dose of Eurotrash has arrived - and of course it will be enough to make us survive without it through the next twelve months. But it's also, of course, big fun, though I doubt that our American friends here would really get its special charm - which depends at least partly on geography, and, in the voting phase, on the cultural aspects of European geography (do Americans know where Andorra is? Or Macedonia? Or Armenia?) - and maybe it's not a bad thing that they wouldn't.

I have only heard (but when you talk about the Eurovision Song Contest, especially this year, you could even use the word "seen") the songs from the first semi-final. None has impressed me, though I feel that Iceland could fare well in the voting on saturday night, and the sentimental in me (Uri won't speak to me for a while after this) found Israel's song - with its text in Hebrew, Arabic and English sung by two women, one a famous Israeli whom I once met and interviewed, and the other, I guess, Palestinian - rather effective.

Of the other songs, I've also heard the one from France, which is of course of a quality (especially the voice and the performance of its justly famous singer) rarely seen at the Eurovision these years; and this is why it doesnt have any hope of winning - despite the fact that after too many absurd verdicts, this time they have decided to include votes from private jurys from each countries rather than only base the final results on telephone calls and sms.

Edited By ITALIANO on 1242304414
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

Yes. Spain, UK, France and Germany automatically go to the final.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Is still Spain an automatic finalist?
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

Come on people, it's this time of the year again. The trashy and fun Eurovision Song Contest is back.

The first semi final has already taken place and the ten countries that proceed to the final are

Iceland
Sweden
Malta
Finland
Turkey
Armenia
Portugal
Bosnia Herzegovina
Romania
Israel

The second semi-final is taking place tonight. The favourites seem to be

1. Norway
2. Greece
3. Azerbaijan
4. Ukraine
5. Estonia
6. Albania
7. Lithuania
8. Denmark
9. Hungary
10. Slovenia

Already in the final

UK - With a ballad written by Andrew Llloyd Webber , who will probably appear playing the piano

France - With a ballad sung by the wonderful Patricia Kass.

Germany - With an uptempo song featuring the notorious Dita von Teese.

My favourites so far are

1. France
2. Norway
3. Bosnia
4. Greece
5. Estonia

Return to “Broadcast Media”