Dietary Advice

Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

flipp525 wrote:There's also another excellent source of protein. I might post about it another thread, though ;)
Curiosity killed the cat, but what the heck I'm curious.....what other ''excellent source of protein''?
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

You can eat very well fo not very much money--we are pensioners and we do OK. I mean it: send me a letter and I will attach some( lactose-free too)

Don't make excuses.

Edited By cam on 1214521616
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I drink a decent amount of water, but I also dehydrate quickly.

I've also self-diagnosed something I knew was a problem, but not this severe.

I have a huge problem eating milk-based products (chocolate, ice cream) wherein the acid in my stomach gets really active and gives me a bit of acid reflux (Prilosec OTC seems to work symptomatically, so I don't take it daily because it's farking expensive). So, I assumed I was partially lactose intolerant. I was feeling quite good this morning with no cramps or anything and BAM a few hours after I had eaten my yogurt, they started up again and I've been in turmoil all day. So, after reading up on Lactose Intolerance, I believe that it may be my problem.

I'm going to test my theory and try to avoid milk products the rest of this week and over the weekend and see if that helps. Hopefully, it will.

I don't have a lot of extra time. I really want a treadmill. With everything I need to do at home on the computer, it might be more helpful to have it there than having to leave the house and get nothing done for 30 minutes to an hour. I used to walk with friends, but my schedule and theirs changed and our club moved to a new location farther from a readily-accessible trail. So, that walking fit I had about 2 years ago (where I got down to around 196) ended quickly and of course, with a sedentary lifestyle where 95% of my day is behind a computer screen, it does become difficult to exercise. The most I get at work is when I run mail late in the afternoon, which entails a very short trip around the building and then to the postage meter where I stand for about 30 minutes.

Work's over now and I've entirely forgotten if there was something else I was going to type. if I think of it, I'll post later, but I know there is and I'm sure you guys will say something to trigger it.

BTW: I'm also on a VERY strict budget...I can't afford a lot of high priced items...which is what sucks about nutrition...it's all high-priced items.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Also, buy yourself a Weight-Watchers' Cookbook. My wife is on this plan, and since I do the cooking, I have begun to adapt my recipes to suit her diet, and consequently have not gained any weight at all.
AND--you will find, the recipes( indeed the program itself) seems to be geared to people who hate cooking,and eat for one,and there is some prepared food in the recxipes, so you won't lose out on flavour. It's all about PORTION size!
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

No exercise, no water, that's why you weigh 201. If you write me Wes, I will attach a few recipes that are light and healthy--even if you hate cooking, there is a certain amount of joy to be had by producing a good meal.

Many of the suggestions in this thread are good ones--but WALK at least a mile a day. The weight will pour off!
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

I've always maintained that drinking lots of water and eating fruit (the five-a-day rule) is oje of the best things that you can do to keep healthy. If you don't link running then swim. If you can do both. White meats such as fish and chicken (boil the chicken) and fresh steamed/boiled vegatables. I agree with Flipp that you should avoid microwave meals - there akin to fast food. You mentioned that you would rather have a sandwich than prepair something else. There;s nothing wrong with that just make sure that you use whole wheat bread. I'm not sure if you use brown bread, but white bread is not health bread.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Thanks. Now I have to start a hatchery.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

It sounds like a lot of foods are just out of the question for you. Haven't lived in Chicago for three years, I know about humidity. Wake up a half hour earlier and just get out and jog. Even twenty minutes of stop-and-go jogging and you'll see a big difference. If you drink water and continue to stay at least somewhat active (no idea what your daily routine is), then you can probably stay on the same nutritional regiment.

Having been a formerly picky eater, I will say that you can baby-step your way into better foods. You say you don't like peppers: you're referring to red, green, and yellow peppers? This is clearly not going to help you lose weight but have you considered grilling them and putting them on a sandwich? Roasted red peppers are amazingly tasteful. Do you put vegetables on your sandwich at all? And do you enjoy salad? If you start eating less healthy variations on vegetable dishes, you can baby-step your way to just slicing open peppers and eating them raw like me. I know it may sound distasteful right now but that will not be the case down the road.

Basic timeline for sushi -

I've always had a weird aversion to rice I can't really explain. I've just always found it aesthetically off-putting to me. But I knew that I had planned one day on living in California and dealing with people who would enjoy it and I knew I'd encounter it on some level even if I said I wouldn't eat it. So I began eating tuna Nigiri (fish on rice) and damn near threw up. Then I had a friend who gave me a piece of sushi that had eggs on the top and I did throw up. Thankfully when I got back to my place. A friend in Chicago told me that I was going about it wrong, so she took me to get some "Americanized" sushi. It's got cream-cheese, crab meat, it's deep fried...it's clearly not what sushi is intended to be on any level...but it's AMAZING. It's basically a Big Mac that looks like sushi. From there I went down to Maki (rolls w/ additives to make it more flavorful) and Nigi (fish on rice). All things considered, it took about three years but now it's one of my favorite foods and I'm glad I made the effort because it's opened my life up to new flavor possibilities.

I'm sure you're trying to do more to expand your palette but you really don't want to die without savoring interesting foods.
"How's the despair?"
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Try tabboule.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

There's also another excellent source of protein. I might post about it another thread, though ;)
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Anytime I order chicken, if I have the option, I go for grilled, not fried or breaded. I like the flavor of grilled better and it's not as greasy.

I don't always eat meats.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Johnny Guitar
Assistant

Post by Johnny Guitar »

On salmon:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/09/opinion/09grescoe.html

This is an example of how food politics is so incredibly important, so tied to the rest of our global sociopolitical crisis. It is our human right to be able to eat whole, natural foods, preferably in great variety (so that we don't need to take supplements). But food & health industries, not to mention the general vagaries of geopolitics and industrialized nation states, have constricted us horrifically.

Chicken all the time is boring, isn't it guys?
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Oh I eat a lot of chicken still, just more often in curry than cut up into fingers and deep-fried.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Tongue, sure, and believe me I'm pretty bored with the fast food alternatives, but I've tried several times to try new foods at restaurants, I'm always sorely disappointed, sending me back to my typical chicken-based standbys.
Wesley Lovell
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

My metabolism is still working miracles for me, but I know that can't possibly last forever. Personally, I've found changing my exercise habits has been easier (at first) than changing my eating habits. I'd obviously recommend changing both, but start with increased activity imho.

As for picky eating, I used to be the pickiest. I'm talking, "Mac & cheese and popcorn for me, thanks." I never thought I'd be the type to put alfalfa sprouts on my sandwiches. But, yep, that's what's happened. I think with time everyone's tastes start to broaden. Curries, stir fry, sushi, dosai, 7-course Moroccan feasts ... with time, you get to the point where your tongue needs something a little more stimulating, no?

Still admittedly working on building up a palate tolerance towards shellfish on the far side of crab, though. That might be awhile.

Also, salmon is your best friend. It's mine, at any rate.

Edited By Eric on 1214506307

Return to “General Off-Topic”