The Super Bowl - Or, the Oscars for Straight Men

kaytodd
Assistant

Post by kaytodd »

Did anyone get a load of Bill Bilichik's interview on Fox? He looked like he would rather be falling out of an airplane than talking to a reporter. I felt sorry for both Bill and Chris Meyers, the unfortunate reporter.

I am disappointed that Bill did not give the obligatory congratulations to the Giants (To people who are not sports fans, that may seem hypocritical and phony. But the losing and winning teams are supposed to congratulate each other.). But the look on his face told me he was in serious pain. So many coaches and players in his situation are able to hide their feelings enough to say nice things about the team that beat them. Bill looked like he just could not do it.
The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living. Oliver Wendell Holmes
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Damien wrote:But Belichick matched their boorishness by not staying on the field to congratulate Tom Coughlin.
Unfortunately, I have to be fair. During all the confusion in the last second, Belichick ran to the other side of the field and embraced Coughlin. I think they're friends and they've worked together in the past.

The MVP award should have gone to the entire Giants defense.

Is this anything like the Miracle Mets?
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

I'm so depressed. Time to get shit-faced.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Giants Stun 'Perfect' Pats in Final Seconds of Super Bowl

Feb 3, 10:10 PM (ET)

By BARRY WILNER

GLENDALE, Ariz. (AP) - The Giants had the perfect answer for the suddenly imperfect Patriots: a big, bad defense and an improbable comeback led by their own Mr. Cool quarterback, Eli Manning. In one of football's biggest shockers, New York shattered New England's unbeaten season as Manning hit Plaxico Burress on a 13-yard fade with 35 seconds left in the Super Bowl.

Sunday's 17-14 win was the Giants' 11th straight on the road, and the first time the Patriots tasted defeat in more than a year.

It was the most bitter of losses, too, because New England (18-1) was one play from winning, but its defense couldn't stop a 12-play, 83-yard drive that featured a spectacular leaping catch by David Tyree, who scored New York's first touchdown.

Tom Brady, the league's Most Valuable Player and winner of his first three Super Bowls, was battered all game. He was sacked five times, hurried a dozen more, and at one point wound up on his knees, his hands on his hips following one of many poor throws.

Hardly a familiar position for the record-setting quarterback. And a totally strange outcome for a team that seemed destined for historic glory.

Oddly, it was a loss to the Patriots that sparked New York's stunning run to its third Super Bowl and sixth NFL title. New England won 38-35 in Week 17 as the Patriots became the first team since the 1972 Miami Dolphins to go spotless through the regular season. But by playing hard in a meaningless game for them, the Giants gained something of a swagger.

Their growing confidence carried them through playoff victories at Tampa, Dallas and Green Bay, and then past the mightiest opponent of all.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

I'm only sad Randy Moss (easily my favorite gadfly in professional sports) didn't get a Super Bowl ring out of it, but then again maybe he didn't deserve it.

Edited By Eric on 1202095614
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

But Belichick matched their boorishness by not staying on the field to congratulate Tom Coughlin.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Same here kaytodd.
kaytodd
Assistant

Post by kaytodd »

What a great game. How proud must Archie Manning be? Peyton Manning is the winning Super Bowl QB in 2007 and Eli Manning is the winning QB in 2008. And it is always great when a big underdog, a team nobody thought had a chance, wins a big game.

But I was looking forward to the Pats giving a big upraised middle finger to Don Shula, Mercury Morris, Don Griese, Nick Buonocotti, etc. They have shown a complete lack of class and sportsmanship all this season, crying like babies as it looked like the Pats would join them and go undefeated. Usually, athletes congratulate those who break their records. The behavior shown by the Dolphins this year has been appalling and probably unprecented. I am sorry that they were rewarded by the defeat of the Pats.
The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living. Oliver Wendell Holmes
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Two things make the Giants' victory all the more sweet:

There's no bigger asshole in football than Bill Belichick.

and

My beloved won his office pool.

Edited By Damien on 1202095254
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Damien wrote:
kaytodd wrote:I am rooting for the Pats, but that play by Eli (avoiding that sack and getting the ball down the field)

That was one of the more impressive plays I've seen.

That was a great play.

But I've hated Eli Manning since that 2004 Draft Day tantrum, and can't seem to get over it.

Edited By dws1982 on 1202094930
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Credit where it's due. Congratulations to Brady for taking it as far as you did.

Anyway, you can always go home to your Bunchkin.

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1202094929
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Seriously the Pats would have gone down as the greatest team in history! Now they'll go down as the greatest team that didn't win the Super Bowl. ARGH!!

Fuck you Eli Manning!
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

kaytodd wrote:I am rooting for the Pats, but that play by Eli (avoiding that sack and getting the ball down the field)
That was one of the more impressive plays I've seen.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

:D

<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>FUCK HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!</span>

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1202094601
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Yeah pretty early on. It was the best one. They were pretty lame this year.

Return to “General Off-Topic”