UAADB History...sort of

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Wow, I wasn't expecting everyone to pitch a fit. Everything was said out of love, I didn't intend to make anybody pissed off...

what do YOU guys want me to say, then? I asked for volunteers and no one offered to help, so I find it a bit exasperating that without help, I write something and then get bludgeoned over the head with it.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

I'm a film nerd.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

And, for what it's worth, I don't think it's fair to objectively label ITALIANO a curmudgeon in some kind of formal history of the board.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

And why am I credited only as a film nerd? Aren't we all film nerds? Am I that anonymous? I have two degrees in film, and I'm an imdb-credited screenwriter.
"How's the despair?"
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Wes, I wouldn´t like to be known as someone who periodically doesn´t appear. For those who ignore that, I am an argentinian critic and a journalist who has a weekly radio program related to movies. I used to be an actor some time ago.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

So, I wrote up this history. I don't know if it's any good, but I wanted to run it by you guys before I officially posted it. Tell me what you think and if you'd like me to describe any of you differently (or, for those who didn't get a description), what you'd like me to call you. Also, if you think I've mischaracterized you, let me know.

The History

Ten years ago this year, I introduced a discussion forum on this site. Called the Unofficial Academy Awards Discussion Board, the posters came from all over the world to partake in discussions about everyone's favorite awards show: The Oscars.

Over the years, hundreds have dropped by to make a post or two, but a few dedicated posters still remain. There is a sense of camaraderie amongst the members that is amazing to see and feel. Sure, we've had our ups and downs, but our common appreciation for movies and all things Oscar have kept us together.

Inside the Web was our first home. They closed up shop about seven years ago and after that, we made our new home through ikonboard. Hosted now entirely on oscarguy.com, the UAADB continues to thrive. Data has been lost a number of times thanks to computer crashes or failed upgrades, but we've managed to persevere. That which was lost has been started over.

While the number of posts made by each member slowly increments, a few notable faces have graced the board with their wit and creativity and whether I agree with them or not, many of us are friends. As I talk about each of our members here, let me say that all below is posted with love and affection for them and I say nothing to be mean or spiteful, for they certainly feel like family.

Our most prolific poster is Sonic Youth. Sonic's spends most of his time in the political forum, sa do a number of us, but he always has something to say and some of it's even constructive. He's the only member to pass 4,000 posts and currently boasts some 5100 messages.

Within the 3000 club are members who've been with the site since the very beginning. Yours truly is among them, but significantly behind. Big Magilla, also known as Peter Patrick, is our illustrious DVD personality and level head on the board. He has taken his passion for films and brought a great deal of insight to the UAADB. Topping the 3k club is the renowned Damien. Author of one of the most beloved books on Academy history, along with his late writing partner Mason, Damien isn't afraid to speak his mind whether it's to admonish posters for their love of "goddam cartoons" or to share his unique brand of personal philosophy.

Anonymous and Penelope have each surpassed 2,000 posts and have as varied styles as their colleagues. Nine posters have made over 1,000 responses including film nerd Sabin, uncloseted gay Republican criddic3, our finder of obscure obituaries Reza, film historian Mister Tee, soap-loving flipp525, everyone-knows-Daniel dws1982, our music queen Eric, periodic no-show Hustler and film student MovieWes.

But lots of posts don't necessarily mean their participation is unspectacular. a few of our 500-plus posters are among the most vocal. Original BJ, Precious Doll, Franz Ferdinand, Akash, cam, rudeboy and everyone's favorite Italian curmudgeon ITALIANO. Without all of these people and the plenty of new users we've gained in the last year, the Unofficial Academy Awards Discussion Board wouldn't be what it is today and it will only grow stronger as the years continue on.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “General Off-Topic”