RIP John Harkness

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

That we know of, Damien. It's possible others have come and gone without any of us knowing.

I just hope all of you have some contingency plan to let people know if something bad happens and you aren't able to post...
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Very sad news -- he was a lively and nicely opinionated contributor to this board.

Is he the first board member to have died?
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Oh, how sad. I remember interacting with him; and he was so young! Do we know the cause?
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

John was long a part of this board and even was a member of the OFTA. I know he'll be missed and it's definitely sad to lose anyone with such close ties to the board.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Even though I think there was only one time the two of us interacted, it feels especially sad when one of us leaves us, particularly at such a young age.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

How sad. I had missed him around here.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Well, this comes as an especial shock to those of use who've been around a while. Former Board frequenter John Harkness has died. This personal remembrance/obit is from the Torontoist.

John Harkness, 1954–2007

We’re going to take a break from our usual Torontoist style in this post because the passing of John Harkness, the film critic for Now magazine since its inception in 1981, is something that has particular importance for me. As the writer of Torontoist's weekly “Film Friday” column, which, as you know, very often quotes the reviews from local critics, I have probably quoted John Harkness more than anyone.

There’s a funny story in this, because although in the process of writing the Film Friday column I’ve met and got to know a fair number of Toronto’s critics, I was always too intimidated by John Harkness to ever introduce myself to him (even though I saw him at countless screenings and events). Last week, at the Canada’s Top Ten event, I spotted him chatting with another critic, and thought, “well, might as well introduce myself now, so it doesn’t have to be awkward any more.”

I walked up to him and told him that I was from Torontoist, and I wrote the Film Friday column. He said, “Oh, the Torontoist. I’ve heard of you. You seem to be obsessed with me and Jason Anderson.”

A little flummoxed, the only thing I could think of to say was, “Well, I am.”

My introduction to John Harkness didn’t go particularly well, honestly, and if it wasn’t for the fact that, due to circumstance, I will never see him at another screening, it would certainly still be awkward. But I don’t regret telling him I was obsessed with him, because John Harkness was—is—Canada’s most important film critic. In a previous Film Friday, someone asked what there was to respect about a critic, and I said, “the ability to write well, and express their opinions in a clear and interesting manner.”

In my humble opinion, that was the very least that John Harkness did.

Born in Montreal, John Harkness grew up in Halifax and Sarnia, and studied under Andrew Sarris in Cinema Studies at Columbia University. As well as writing for Now, John also wrote for publications including Sight And Sound and Take One. He was a huge supporter of the Toronto International Film Festival and Cinematheque Ontario. He was also, we’re told, really, really good at poker.

John Harkness was 53 years old.

Return to “Other Film Discussions”