UAADB History - Irrelevant questions about ourselves...

Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Originally I was Hustler. After that, I became The Real Hustler and returned to my original name. I´d chosen that nickname from Paul Newman´s movie.
What did you think? LOL
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Originally I was Pepe, after Pepe le Pew; I went away for awhile and when I returned I decided to be Penelope, the cat that Pepe is always chasing (she has different names in the various movies, but her official Warner Bros. name is Penelope).
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Maybe I'm confusing you with Film Buff.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Big Magilla wrote:When I joined late in 1997 there was Oscar Guy, the guy who called himself The REAL Oscar Guy, xandau, Tree18, Apostle and a few others who stopped posting ages ago. JLS, DWS, Eric, Elijah, Leeder, anonymous, Flipp, Film Fan, Italiano, Kova, Kubrick and several others may have started before me.

I actually didn't join until fall of 2000...I remember the Gladiator Oscars as my first on this board. And man do I miss the yellow and black board.

Edited By FilmFan720 on 1205284676
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The black/yellow one was the second board - the first one goes back to 1997.

When I joined late in 1997 there was Oscar Guy, the guy who called himself The REAL Oscar Guy, xandau, Tree18, Apostle and a few others who stopped posting ages ago. JLS, DWS, Eric, Elijah, Leeder, anonymous, Flipp, Film Fan, Italiano, Kova, Kubrick and several others may have started before me. If not, they came along soon after. Mike Kelly, who doesn't post much any more, was a prolific poster back then when he was just plain "Kelly". Cam and Brian, now rainBard, have been around a long time. They may have been here before me as well.

Damien, Sonic Youth, Sabin and Zach aka Johnny Guitar weren't far behind. Penelope, Pepe way back when, has been around quite a well as well. Scarlett was the resident female on the first two boards.

I'm sure I mentioned this before, but I pulled my name out of a hat. I originally posted under my real name, but no one paid attention. I think it was the "Big" that made them pay attention. In actuality the moniker means "no big deal".

I have a print-out from Jan 14, 2000, in which Yerx attempted to start a poll on the ten best posters, but it was quickly taken down by Oscar Guy (maybe because he wasn't on it! :O) While it's a bit unfair for us to be ranking one another, it does provide a sense of nostalgia to see who was who back then:

1. Big Magilla
2. Max Wilder
3. John Harkness
4. Mashari
5. Rafael
6. Italiano
7. cam
8. Tree 18
9. The Apostle
10. Film Buff
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

This is probably directed to Wes... or anyone of the old guard!

Can you remember the first member of the DB? or the first ten? who were them? are they still active on the board? What was the first topic discussed in here (as in the old board, the black/yellow one!)? And who proposed the first topic other than you? what did he/she suggested?

I'd like to know cause it's been going quite a long time since I first entered this place and we get so accostume to each other that we might forget some names, and what we standed for before... I used to get in the old page and though I used different names, I usually used one with "Terry" on it (don't know why... guess I've always liked the name). Then one day I found the new board and it requested me to sign up and to choose a name... by that time I just had seen Aronofski's film and it was an easy choice, but my other option was Renton, from Trainspotting... I actually tried to use it but it said something like already taken (nonetheless, and correct me if I'm wrong, I have never seen any Renton in here!)... But I loved the old board, with its blinding contrast, with the whole mess up, the "discussions" and the fights, the immediate response, and the hard talkin' and the repaeting threads! LOL an absolutely mess... those were some days...

So, this gives me another question... where do you choose your nick's from? That should be interestin'!

Edited By HarryGoldfarb on 1205279688
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)

Return to “General Off-Topic”