The Grammy Awards

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

That "21 Guns" performance was cheesetastic. 21st Century Breakdown is a boring, lazy, eye-roll of an album from a band, whom I like, that can still rock and put on a good show but just choose not to for the sake of making some kind of sociopolitical statement. I wish I could send their 90s selves a DVD of the show and then send a VHS because I forgot it was the 90s just as a warning that in fifteen years they would be standing perfectly still on a stage at the Grammy Awards surrounded by a would-be High School Musical cast from a Broadway show based on one of their own albums.

Then this world implodes and Kurt Cobain is alive, divorcing Courtney Love and taking custody of Francis Bean. The Smashing Pumpkins never broke up the first time around and MTV cancels the Real World.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

Zahveed wrote:I did find joy in watching Jay-Z nodding his head off beat while Jamie Foxx was outperformed by his own pre-recorded auto-tuned self...
"Death of Auto-Tune" right Jay?
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Then they fooled me. It takes more than luck to understand the art of the hit single. I think Black Eyed Peas are amazingly intuitive producers, if nothing else, although Fergie looks like she's a carrier of every STD known to humankind.

I saw about as much of the Corporate Music Awards as I could take, and Lady Gaga - the most manufactured corporate creation of them all - is the only one I enjoyed. She's perfect for awards shows, because I don't think I could take an entire evening's worth of Gaga. But in five minute increments, she's very amusing to watch. Talor Swift is very adorable and her songs don't sound bad either. But jeez, the girl CAN'T SING! I'm sure her recorded output is better, but when she's before a live audience on an awards show, her voice fails her.

But at least she didn't feel she had to fly in the air and be dunked in a pissbucket or whatever that was. That was nearly the funniest thing I've ever seen in my life, except I almost got sick from dizziness watching it.

Oh, and with the exception of "21 Guns", I don't remember a single song I heard.

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1265078087
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Crap show with crap performances by crap musicians. Any one worth a nomination doesn't win and The Black Eyed Peas continue the illusion of talent.

I did find joy in watching Jay-Z nodding his head off beat while Jamie Foxx was outperformed by his own pre-recorded auto-tuned self and T-Pain danced around Slash shredding a solo in his Guitar Hero stance.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Saw thirty minutes. The Lady Gaga opening was incredibly stupid. Green Day's performance was awesome. That song is so mediocre but unfortunately whenever I hear Green Day, I'm back in high school, Clinton's the president, and my problems are angsty and "real". That performance made the song much better than it is.
"How's the despair?"
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Damien wrote:
anonymous wrote:No one watched this?
Nope. But I will look in the paper tomorrow to see who won in the Jazz, Traditional Pop, Folk and Alt categories as that's what I listen to.
Why look in the paper when you can just click on the website?
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

anonymous wrote:No one watched this?
Nope. But I will look in the paper tomorrow to see who won in the Jazz, Traditional Pop, Folk and Alt categories as that's what I listen to.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

If they nominated such a sad-sack bunch of loser options for the top three, I'm glad there isn't a consensus. Just goes to show not only what a terrible music year its been, but how backward and unadventurous the Grammys are. They are probably congratulating themselves for their eclecticism.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

That the voters pulled three different performers for the top three awards shows that there was no consensus.

Of all the performances, Taylor Swift's was the most agonizing to listen to and sounded just plain awful. She was off key most of the time.

Loved Lady Gag's opening number, didn't mind the Elton thing, thought it was a nifty touch.

I LOVED Pink's performance. It was a beautiful sound, gorgeous choreography, sensational.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

U2 went home empty-handed. Surely their new album deserved better than that! It is miles better than Atomic Bomb which won Album. The Grammys are strange creatures. Then again, Kings of Leon won Record, so their utter ineptitude makes sense.
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

It's only playing on my TV right now, so I've been kinda glimpsing over. Some notes:

- Lady GaGa is awesome. Elton whoring himself yet again, not so much.
- They not only play the winners off with music, they cut the mic! Snap!
- Was it me, or was Stephen Colbert L-A-M-E?
- this is boring.
- Beyonce's performance did nothing more than reinforce that, after all the hype, "You Oughta Know" is a freakin' badass melodic treat.
- oh Taylor, pretending to be all cutie-pie aw-shucks. Cut the shit, sister!
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

No one watched this?

The winners!
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Bog wrote:I think the Grammy's are so hopelessly behind on music that isn't thrown directly in their face. They have some description of New Artist as when they "became identified by the public"...talk about an elitist attitude, I've had Carnavas since I was still in college 3 years ago.

I don't expect everyone to be aware of every new indie music act on the scene...but if you missed Silversun three and a half years ago, who was Carson Daly's "house" band for a while, had arguably the number one indie single of 2007 in "Lazy Eye" (on a debut album released in July 2006 mind you), which is also featured on Rock Band, then sorry, you missed it...you can't call it a new act when you want to because you can't find another new act to nominate. This is a slightly more egregious nomination of course than MGMT and The Ting Tings, who released their albums only 1 or 2 years outside this year's Grammy nominations, and not 3.
Thanks Bog.

They could have at least nominated an actual new artist, like the incredible Passion Pit. Their song "Sleepyhead" is popping up all over the place.
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

I think the Grammy's are so hopelessly behind on music that isn't thrown directly in their face. They have some description of New Artist as when they "became identified by the public"...talk about an elitist attitude, I've had Carnavas since I was still in college 3 years ago.

I don't expect everyone to be aware of every new indie music act on the scene...but if you missed Silversun three and a half years ago, who was Carson Daly's "house" band for a while, had arguably the number one indie single of 2007 in "Lazy Eye" (on a debut album released in July 2006 mind you), which is also featured on Rock Band, then sorry, you missed it...you can't call it a new act when you want to because you can't find another new act to nominate. This is a slightly more egregious nomination of course than MGMT and The Ting Tings, who released their albums only 1 or 2 years outside this year's Grammy nominations, and not 3.
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

I was kinda hoping that Rob Thomas' Cradlesong would place somewhere. Though, I'm not surprised that Beyonce's album placed so high. I thought If I Were a Boy would be her Record of the Year nominee as appose to the bilge that is Halo.

Return to “Broadcast Media”