[NE] Nomination Elim Game ('79- OSCARGUY)

rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Here's the Academy's shortlist for this year, by the way.

Adam Sandler’s Eight Crazy Nights, Alibaba & The Forty Thieves, Eden, El Bosque Animado (The Living Forest), Hey Arnold! The Movie, Ice Age, Jonah — A Veggie Tales Movie, Lilo & Stitch, Mutant Aliens, The Powerpuff Girls Movie, The Princess and the Pea, Return to Never Land, Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron, Spirited Away, Stuart Little 2, Treasure Planet and The Wild Thornberrys Movie.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Goody, goody. Sabin, Hustler, Okri and Cinemanolis get to make the goddamn cartoon selections and I don't.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I actually think Harris totally works in the role of Richard in The Hours. He is out of his gourd and dying of AIDS -- I expect over-the-top delusions of grandeur. However Chris Cooper's performance towers above everyone else's and needs to be preserved.

Andy Serkis is a little toad and his performance is annoying. I wish I'd had more chances to get rid of more of those pesky LOTR nominations.

Edited By flipp525 on 1259690419
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Except that I feel Serkis was better than either, so nyeah. :p
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Or you could have preserved either Cooper or Walken...there is no rule that Andy Serkis has to get in there. Some of us don't find his slithering that impressive :)
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I would have replaced Newman were he still there, but between Walken and Cooper, I preferred Cooper's performance. I also could have replaced John C. Reilly, but again...not available.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

FilmFan720 wrote:Damn, I knew I should have preserved Christopher Walken when I had the chance. A pitch-perfect performance.
I almost did. And if Paul Newman were not still around (which gave me a chance to get Arkin in), I would have.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Damn, I knew I should have preserved Christopher Walken when I had the chance. A pitch-perfect performance.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Andy Serkis - The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers replaces Christopher Walken
Wesley Lovell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Two supporting actors and four goddamn cartoons remain to be dealt with.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Replace Paul Nemwan with Alan Arkin, 13 Conversations About One Thing.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

For my money John C. Reilly was the weakest of the actors nominated for Chicago. With Zellweger, Zeta-Jones and Latifah all gone, it seems silly for him to be the film's only acting rep.

I usually can't stand Ed Harris who tends to shout rather than act, but I thought his shouting fit the role in The Hours.

Dennis Haysbert is quite good in Far From Heaven, not quite as good as Dennis Quaid, but much better than Julianne Moore who simply irritates. She, too, was much better in The Hours in which she actually acts as opposed to reciting dialogue in a chirpy voice.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

I never would have imagined there were so many otherwise intelligent people who think The Hours is even a passable film...hands down thecwoest best picture nominee of the decade. I will also go to my grave claiming Dennis Haysbert is miles beyond Dennis Quaids strained performance, hut no one ever talks about the black guy.

Rescue John C Reilly and replace the abyssmal Ed Harris
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

It's a little disappointing to see Nicolas Cage ousted while Jack Nicholson remains. But Brody and Caine deserve their spots, while Scott and Grant are excellent choices.
"How's the despair?"
jowy_jillia
Graduate

Post by jowy_jillia »

I Will Replace John C. Reilly in Chicago with Dennis Quaid in Far From Heaven.

Though I have replaced both Zellweger and Reilly I actually like Chicago, but I am annoyed by both of them. Reilly was much better in The Hours I think.

Return to “Other Film Discussions”