Emmy Award Winners

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

flipp525 wrote:Matthew Weiner seems really gay. I was shocked when he thanked his "wife".
Maybe he's a real-life Sal?
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Matthew Weiner seems really gay. I was shocked when he thanked his "wife".

Also, is January Jones the most gorgeous woman alive or what? That dress was stunning, but she really could've been wearing a gunny sack and still impressed.

Edited By flipp525 on 1253570899
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Not a whole lot to say about the Emmys. I missed the Mad Men acceptance speech, because I switched away to watch...Mad Men.

I pretty much can't stand Kristen Chenoweth, but her speech was funny enough.

Ken Howard totally killed.

There seemed to be real affection between Alec Baldwin and Jessica Lange. Given that they worked together on a Streetcar where he was highly praised and she got blasted, it's nice to see that didn't alienate them personally (as often happens).

I only made it ten minutes into one Breaking Bad, so I have no way to judge Cranston. But I'm sad Jon Hamm goes home empty-handed again (as do all Mad Men's actors).

It's hard to make the show particularly interesting when the same damn people win over and over.

Neil Patrick Harris was generally good, though the Internet-interference shtik was a dud.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

An entirely appropriate bout of narcissism, yes.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Did all the posers vote for Entourage's Dillon and the smart people MacBrayer, Morgan, and Wilson, leaving an unparalleled old person/idiot stampede for a Cryer victory?
If its intelligence that causes people to prefer the now absolutely irritating Wilson to NPH (a great thing stuck in a horrible show), call me retarded.

In your case wouldn't it be narcissism?
"How's the despair?"
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

There have been several instances where the host of the Emmy show actually won.

And How I Met Your Mother is a great show.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Sabin wrote:Did all the posers vote for Entourage's Dillon and the smart people MacBrayer, Morgan, and Wilson, leaving an unparalleled old person/idiot stampede for a Cryer victory?
If its intelligence that causes people to prefer the now absolutely irritating Wilson to NPH (a great thing stuck in a horrible show), call me retarded.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

What probably killed Harris from winning was hosting. Many voters probably felt that were they to award the host of the show, it would seem like favoritism. Some wouldn't care, but enough probably did to shift the win to someone else, but why the fuck Cryer? I've seen his work on Two and a Half Men (the two or so times I've ever watched the unfunny show) and he's not even remotely good. Conchata Farrell was easily better than any of them and her character is so painfully cliched it's not even funny...
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Actually, with Piven out of the way, I thought Neil Patrick Harris would finally win.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I was rooting for Steve Carell this year. It's such a shame that Tony Shalhoub had to win a few years back for the seventeenth time. Carell was fantastic this year. I don't like the "Generalissimo" episode of 30 Rock at all. Tina Fey had a fantastic year on 30 Rock and wanted to see her win. Kristen Wiig wasn't going to win so I figured it was probably Chenoweth's or Williams'. Would've been nice to see Elizabeth Perkins finally win something in her career.

Then there's Jon Cryer who seems like the most awkward, toad-looking, obnoxious human on the planet. I've never seen Two and a Half Men and I never will. I hate Entourage but everyone in my house was rooting for Kevin Dillon. When I heard what episode he submitted, I thought that Rain Wilson might actually win. Then Jon Cryer won and everyone in the category just looked pissed. Did all the posers vote for Entourage's Dillon and the smart people MacBrayer, Morgan, and Wilson, leaving an unparalleled old person/idiot stampede for a Cryer victory?

I have not seen Breaking Bad. I'm sure Bryan Cranston deserves all that he is receiving. If Jon Hamm never wins an Emmy, what a sham it will be!

One day I want to hear the words "Emmy Winner Charlie Day".
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Was it the best Emmy show ever or did it just seem that way after last year's shambles?

I liked the way they organized it into groups.

Too bad Barrymore and Lange couldn't have tied but I have no complaints about any of the winners - I haven't watched Lost since the middle of the first season and gave up on 24 after the 6th - so no way of telling if Emerson and Jones deserved their awards or not.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Top to bottom one of the worst lists of winners of any awards show ever. Zipped through the ceremony in about an hour.

Little Dorritt over Generation Kill is like War and Remembrance over Lonesome Dove, or Shogun over Brideshead Revisited and Masada. The Emmys usually do right in that category, but this is an awful choice.

Nice to see Jessica Lange win. Ken Howard wasn't anything special in Grey Gardens (no one else in that category was anything either) but that was a very good speech. That category really should've been all about the Generation Kill men--Lee Tergesen, Kellan Lutz, Pawel Szajda, and then either Stark Sands or James Ransone winning. Glad Brendan Gleeson won, although my heart was with Kevin Bacon. Gleeson was very good though, and I'm glad to see someone win for a leading role even though he isn't a big name.

Still sick of 30 Rock and the people associated with it. Hate that Steve Carrell apparently can't win, but if he can't this year, then he probably won't ever. What's with Jon Cryer winning? Do people find him funny? He seems like the type of person no one would be able to stand. And Kristin Chenoweth is one of my least favorite people ever.

The Drama wins were just strange. Not too surprised about Mad Men winning again, or the two lead actors winning, but Cherry Jones and Michael Emerson? I kind of like Cherry Jones on 24, but I never would've expected an Emmy out of it. And Michael Emerson I just don't like, and think he's been giving pretty much the same performance for a few years on Lost that he gave on The Practice. The ER win for directing was the kind of random, nonsensical choice that only the Emmys give. It wasn't a bad episode, but it wasn't the kind of big event episode that usually gets these awards. Probably sentimentality over what was one of the biggest Emmy favorites of the mid/late-90's, which is understandable. Would've preferred a Battlestar Galactica sendoff, but that wasn't goign to happen.

Edited By dws1982 on 1253540378
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I wonder if anyone has ever completed the trifecta, hosting the Oscars, Emmys and Tonys? Harris could do that. He certainly has the talent for it.

I found some of the speed-up things worked and some didn't. The show still felt like it was 3 hours long, though.

I was very happy for Chenoweth, not so happy for poor Drew Barrymore. Loved the Toni Collette win. I saw the first two episodes of Tara as bonus features on the Dexter season 3 disk and she really was quite good, though I feel bad for all of the people who could have won at some point b/c there really were a LOT of talented nominees this year.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

01. LOVED Neil Patrick Harris as host. Overall, the show's definitely better than last year but it wasn't that hard to do since one actually had to TRY to suck in order to suck harder than last year. Glad Jeff Probst somewhat admitted it.

02. Is it just me or is this show just seem desperate for ratings?

03. Kristin Chenoweth, Michael Emerson, Mad Men, 30 Rock - YAY!

04. Jon Cryer - BOOOOO!!!!!

05. The Amazing Race again?!? ::snores::

06. Best Acceptance Speeches: Ken Howard and Kristin Chenoweth.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Of course...
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."

Return to “Broadcast Media”