2009 American Idol Thread

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Adam Lambert goes 'heterosexual' for Details magazine, records with Lady Gaga
October 20, 2009 | 12:23 pm

Adam Lambert describes the extra-racy spread he did for the new issue of Details magazine, which you can find on newsstands now, as "heterosexual."

In the video clip above, the singer said he "really delved in" to the shoot. He's posed provocatively with a nude model in several of the shots. "It was educational, nostalgic, sweaty.... I'll remember this one definitely." See some of the other photos here.

But don't be deceived: Lambert told the magazine, "I am gay, but I like kissing women sometimes. Women are pretty. It doesn't mean I'm necessarily sleeping with them."

In other Lambert news, the "American Idol" runner-up has been working in the studio with Lady Gaga to record a song she wrote for his upcoming album "For Your Entertainment," out Nov. 23.

He tweeted Monday: "Yes it's true: I spent yesterday in the studio w the insanely talented and creative Lady GaGa recording a song that she wrote! I love her." And later in the day: "GaGa just gets it, ya know?"

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/america....a-.html
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

dws1982 wrote:Kris made about $90K off of iTunes sales

Good, maybe he can start buying his wife some new clothes. Her patented "virgin-ware" isn't going to cut it anymore now that he's a star.

Also, what is this I hear about Adam becoming the lead singer for Queen?

Edited By flipp525 on 1243457315
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Dammit. I delurked with a big, long rebuttal to that nonsense, and while I was typing it, Fox and 19E issued a press release:
“Fox and the producers of 'American Idol' are absolutely certain that the results of this competition are fair, accurate and verified. Kris Allen is, without a doubt, the American Idol. We have an independent third-party monitoring procedure in place to ensure the integrity of the voting process. In no way did any individuals unfairly influence the outcome of the competition.”

As well as AT&T:

“Last week, countless parties were held in homes, bars, and other public places across America to watch the 'American Idol' finale. In Arkansas, a few local AT&T employees were invited to attend two local watch parties organized by the community. Caught up in the enthusiasm of rooting for their hometown contestant, they brought a small number of demo phones with them and provided texting tutorials to those who were interested. Going forward, we will make sure our employees understand our sponsorship celebrates the competition, not individual contestants. That said, it’s quite a leap to suggest that a few individuals could have impacted the final results.”

AT&T reps have been showing up at parties for Idol contestants for years now to show fans how to text and things like that. Silly that it would become a controversy now.

Meanwhile the iTunes sales totals for the week came out, and Kris sold around 470,000 downloads, while Adam sold around 360,000. (No other contestant even came close.) This means that just last week, Kris made about $90K off of iTunes sales, and Adam made about $70K. Not bad at all.

Edited By dws1982 on 1243455897
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

The Marquee Blog
Did ‘Idol’ winner have unfair advantage?
Posted: 11:07 AM ET

Can it be called “Textgate”?

Some of the “Lambs,” as the hardcore Adam Lambert fans are known, are up in arms over reports that “American Idol” winner Kris Allen may have gotten a voting boost courtesy of show sponsor, AT&T.

The New York Times reported that representatives from AT&T provided free phones and lessons on how to “power text” at two fan parties held in support of Allen in his home state of Arkansas.

Fans of the show could only text in their votes via AT&T’s mobile network, and employees reportedly provided demo phones and taught party attendees how to to send 10 or more text messages at the press of a single button, which is known as “power texting.” The story was first reported in an article in The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette.

According to the Times, AT& T released a statement Tuesday. “In Arkansas, we were invited to attend the local watch parties organized by the community,” a spokesman for the company said. “A few local employees brought a small number of demo phones with them and provided texting tutorials to those who were interested.”

Lambert fans apparently were not afforded the same opportunity.

Fox has so far declined to comment.

At the finale, “Idol” host Ryan Seacrest did not announce how many votes separated Allen and Lambert. Moreover, there were initial reports of a huge amount of votes coming out of Arkansas.

But was Allen’s home state also his swing state? We may never know.

Was the final vote fair? Post your comments below or head over to iReport to share video of your reaction.

–Lisa Respers France, CNN.com writer
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Here's another example of how Britain's Got Talent has, on the average, more interesting performers than American Idol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-ZjOEk4-dI
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

flipp525 wrote:He's such a miserable little fag, isn't he? My friend was in Spamalot with him and said that he was a cunt to the backstage people.
Every backstage has one. If they're not in the production then the court supplies you with one.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

He's such a miserable little fag, isn't he? My friend was in Spamalot with him and said that he was a cunt to the backstage people.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Clay Aiken is the most egotistical shit AI has ever produced...he makes outlandish comments, gets called on it and then backtracks so as not to piss off the fans that might actually cross over between his style of music and Adam's.

I'm glad his career has virtually shit itself down the toilet in the last few years. And at least Adam never forgot the words to a song picked for him simply because he didn't like the song.

Edited By OscarGuy on 1243189718
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Clay Aiken: Sorry for my 'colorful' critique
May 23, 2009
FROM THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

NEW YORK -- Clay Aiken says blood didn't truly pour forth from his ears when he heard runner-up Adam Lambert sing "Ring of Fire" -- and hey, he's sorry for his "colorful choice of words."

The former Idol contestant writes in a blog on his Web site dated Friday that "I obviously meant it as a colorful statement to imply that I did not enjoy what I heard." He also says he didn't mean it as "a 'slam' on Adam as a person."

He had blasted Lambert's take on the classic Johnny Cash tune as "contrived," "awful" and "slightly frightening." Aiken says he hopes Lambert can forgive him -- but adds Lambert probably doesn't care about what he said.

Aiken lost out to Ruben Studdard in 2003. He's since released several albums, appeared on Broadway and publicly confirmed he's gay.

Copyright 2009 Associated Press. All rights reserved.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Greg wrote:Here's a question. If a sex tape leaks out of a three way between Adam, Kris, and Kris's wife, whose career do you think will be affected the most?
I think Kris's wife would get a reality show on E!.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Here's a question. If a sex tape leaks out of a three way between Adam, Kris, and Kris's wife, whose career do you think will be affected the most?
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Welcome back, cam! Glad to see you with us again. BTW, did you get the email I sent you?

I guess I'm the only one who thought the finale was one of the worst programs ever broadcast, astonishingly enough.

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1243094154
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Clay Aiken rips ‘Idol’ and ‘contrived’ Adam
Singer not happy with judges labeling Lambert frontrunner early on
Access Hollywood

LOS ANGELES - “American Idol” alum Clay Aiken is apparently no fan of this season’s runner-up, Adam Lambert, or the current state of the FOX reality competition.

The singer slammed “Idol” and the rocker on the subscription-only message board of his Web site on Thursday.

According to Gawker, who posted a screen shot of Aiken’s blog post — which he charges fans $29.95 annually to access — the singer said he’s happy about how the competition ended.

“Now that it’s all over, and for the record ... I couldn’t be happier about the way AI ended this year. I only turn the show on once a season, and only to see what the set looks like each year,” Aiken wrote. “This year, I happened to turn it during the minute that Adam Lambert was singing ‘Ring of Fire’ and, at that moment, thought my ears would bleed. Contrived, awful, and slightly frightening!”

Aiken goes on to admit that he’d only seen one of Lambert’s performances and none of eventual winner Kris Allen.

“I wasn’t really a fan and found myself surprised whenever folks told me that they liked him. Granted, I never saw another performance (and many folks who I trust said that he was great) but I can’t imagine I would have enjoyed it. Just not my cup of tea at all,” he continued in his blog post. “I never saw Kris sing on the show, but whether he was good or not is really relative. It’s usually a matter of taste, right? But Idol is not always a matter of musical taste only. It’s about the person you like. From what little I saw, Kris seemed likable. (That’s not to say that Adam isn’t just as likable as anyone ... maybe more so ... I don’t know).”

Aiken goes on to slam the “Idol” judges for labeling Lambert as the frontrunner, writing, “Not even having watched the show, I can tell you that I was WELL aware of the bias from the judges as to who should win. In my opinion, that is awfully unattractive. I don’t think I am alone.”

The “Measure Of A Man” singer then explained how he believes the show has changed since he stood in the season two finals with Ruben Studdard.

“The show was different then, and folks made it in seasons 1-3 because they were ‘real’ people who happened to sing/entertain well. But, somewhere along the way, AI stopped being about real people,” Aiken wrote.

Aiken also explained why he thinks Allen beat Lambert for the title.

“Those votes for Kris were also votes to return the show to its roots of finding ‘real’ contestants with undiscovered talent and giving them the chance to grow and shine. They were votes that said ‘we’re tired of seeing contestants who already seem to know it all,’” he wrote. “Will American Idol choose to listen to the resounding and clarion call that those voters gave them? ... ‘Enough with the pretention(sic). More Rubens, more Clays, more Fantasias and Tamyras and Kellys please.’ My faith has always been in the voters. I think they have gotten it right every year (mine included). It’s now up to American Idol to decide if it will finally REALLY listen to the folks that keep it on the air.”

Aiken’s blasting of “Idol” and Lambert comes after a Chicago Sun-Times report that he reached out to Lambert earlier this month about collaborating on a future project. Aiken reportedly showed up unannounced on the “Idol” set and was given the cold shoulder by the staff of the FOX reality competition. An “Idol” staff member told the Sun-Times that the show is not happy with Aiken for leaving 19 Entertainment, the show’s management company.

“To say the least, it was tense around here when Clay showed up,” the staffer told the paper. “And boy, did they hustle him off the premises as fast as possible. If he didn’t get the hint after that — he never will.’’
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

I am back from a week in hospital. Not fun, and I will have to do the radiation/chemo trip for some time.

I really enjoyed the final two nights of AI. I was very glad that my original choice of Kris won. The general feeling in the ward was that Adam would have a career anyway, and this is a way for Kris to be guaranteed sort of a career, although it mught be a Taylor-Hicks type one. I DON"T think he was the judges' choice.

The final night was like a huge banquet--star after star to perform with Our Group--and left me with that over-stuffed feeling following such a meal.
BUT: I am glad it is over. Now on to the only real talent on the screen: So You Think You Can Dance.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Sources say ‘Idol’ final vote wasn’t even close
Winner Kris Allen wonders if eyeliner, nail polish hurt Adam Lambert
Access Hollywood
updated 6:07 p.m. ET, Thurs., May 21, 2009

LOS ANGELES - Kris Allen picked up the “American Idol” title on Wednesday night, and while it may have shocked some media pundits who were expecting an Adam Lambert victory, a source close to the show revealed the final vote was not even close.

A top FOX source told Access Hollywood that the vote left Kris as the clear winner by a large margin.

And upon learning the news during his visit to Access Hollywood and “The Billy Bush” show on Wednesday morning, Kris wasn’t sure how to take the information.

“Really?” Kris said. “America’s gonna vote whichever way they want to… I don’t know. Whatever happened last night, was just a — it’s a total surprise for me so I don’t even know how to feel about that.”

When asked why he thought he prevailed over Adam, the 23-year-old Conway, Ark., singer suggested it may have been because he is “just a regular guy.”

“There’s not a whole lot of people that approve of the whole guy-liner thing and the nail polish and all that,” Kris said. “But for me, I love Adam and I think he’s one of the greatest people that I’ve met so far. For me, I’m just a regular guy and I think a lot of people just related to me.”

And Adam had Kris’ back — including just moments after the young man won the title, reminding him he had to sing “No Boundaries,” a song co-penned by “Idol” judge, Kara DioGuardi.

“Seriously, Adam hugged me and goes, ‘You have to sing that song now.’ I was like ‘Ohhhh gosh!’” Kris said of the moment. “I was like ‘OK, just sing it!’ I thought it went OK.”

As for the song, which Randy Jackson and Kara both decided might be too high for Kris during Tuesday’s competition, Kris admitted it is a tough tune to belt out.

“I like the song. It’s tough to sing, I’m not gonna lie. It’s a rough song, but Kara’s a great writer,” Kris said. “It was so much fun working with her in the studio. She’s a lot of fun to work with.”

Slightly easier was performing with superstars Keith Urban and Queen on the show’s season finale.

“Playing with Keith Urban, it was really great,” Kris said. “Getting to meet him — he’s just a laid back guy, just a cool guy, laid back just like I am and he was like, ‘Lets go out there,’ and that’s what we did. And had a great time and getting to play with Brian May and sing with him and sing with Queen? Wow! That was priceless.”

Another priceless moment came for Kris at the end of the show, when his wife of seven months, Katy, came on stage for a celebratory embrace.

“She’s been my biggest supporter and since we got together seven years ago, she’s always tried to make me work harder at music,” Kris said of his lady love. “She believed in me a lot because there were times when I wanted to give up and she was like, ‘No, don’t stop, you’re really great and you need to keep doing this and you’re not gonna be happy unless you keep doing this,’ and I think she’s happy that my dream has come true.”
"What the hell?"
Win Butler

Return to “Broadcast Media”