2009 American Idol Thread

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

What is insulting about a drag queen? It is an art, I would think, that, perfected, he could do equally as well as Ru Paul. He has great charisma, and I think he would be great at this.

He is not an Idol. There has never been anyone like him, but I think the producers want someone as American Idol who doesn't post his intimate moments online.*

* Visit votefortheworst.com. Right underneath are some pictures of Adam that should be private.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Zahveed wrote:
flipp525 wrote:
Penelope wrote: That was unneccessary and insulting.
Is that you speaking from experience, cam?
How is The Rocky Horror Picture Show insulting?
I don't think Cam was referring to The Rocky Horror Picture Show, and if he was, he's mistaken, as it's not a drag queen show per se.

I really don't see how anybody can't imagine what an Adam Lambert album would sound like. It would be like a Queen/Killers/David Bowie album--rock anthems, techno-influenced perhaps, with the occasional soft, lyrical ballad.

Obviously, this is the total opposite of what I imagine Kris Allen would create. It kind of upsets me that people here are lumping themselves into one camp and can't see the talents and virtues of the other. I happen to like Kris quite a LOT--it's clearly he's immensely talented, but so is Adam. I honestly think much of this is backlash to Adam's breakout fame, and it's astonishingly hypocritical.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

flipp525 wrote:
Penelope wrote:
cam wrote:Adam will be great, and make a lot of money, as a drag queen.
That was unneccessary and insulting.
How is The Rocky Horror Picture Show insulting?
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Penelope wrote:
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

anonymous wrote:iTunes sales are a better measure of the future success of the contestant than votes because you wanna see which one people are most willing to buy music from.
Blake lead iTunes sales in Season Six, and his album and subsequent career went absolutely nowhere.

To be honest I don't see Adam becoming any kind of superstar post Idol, mainly because I don't have a clue what kind of music he would record. Danny will do fine in Contemporary Christian and maybe some AC markets but no breakout success. Kris on the other hand, is right in line with the kind of acoustic singer-songwriters (Jason Mraz, Jack Johnson, etc.) who are doing very well right now. He's also a very talented musician (plays several instruments), songwriter (some of his pre-Idol stuff is very good), and to quote Ryan, has "zero ego". Why they don't seem to see the possibility of success with him is the biggest mystery of the season to me.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I'd like to point out that Adam is leading in iTunes sales. Although they tried to keep it a secret, a list leaked of the top Idol iTunes sales and 6 out of 10 are Adam's (3 are Kris' and only 1 Gokey). iTunes sales are a better measure of the future success of the contestant than votes because you wanna see which one people are most willing to buy music from. A lot of people vote only on the basis of who they like to see on TV.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Did anyone but us notice Ryan's introduction of Kris last week( following Adam's)? He called him "humble Kris Allen". Last night, twice, Kris was a "dark horse".

Gokey is boring me. He talks way too much about how he feels about things. His two songs were not in the same class as Kris's.

Adam, we think, will go tonight. He is in a class by himself, and--as we notice others saying the same thing--he is getting a bit tiresome. He is like a "flavour of the month". Two weeks ago, I thought he might give Kris some competition, but I don't think so now. Adam will be great, and make a lot of money, as a drag queen.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Kara and Paula piss me off with their gut-punch praise and being absolutely oblivious to the constructive criticism Simon usually has. Saying things like "We will see you next week" is such a dick thing to say this close to the end. With a larger group it's all right because things could change in the weeks to come, but when next week is the finale and you say things like that, it's more like telling the other two to give up. It's insulting. Good for Adam, sticking up for the other guys.

Kris was the best of the night in my opinion. I agree with Simon on Kara and Randy's attitude on the song choice. They knew that was his style and there wasn't much that he wanted to change, so he didn't touch the arrangement with the exception of lowering the octaves a little. While I like Adam, him performing Aerosmith is unoriginal, predictable, and boring. Gokey is always unoriginal, predictable, and boring. I can see him on those inspirational compilation albums.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

You would, but none of the rest of us would agree...

I wonder if Adam checked out A) assuming he'd be in the final two without any effort and B) because going out early wouldn't be such a bad thing for him.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

flipp525 wrote:[Kris takes tonight and should be in the top two alongside Adam to make up the strongest final two in Idol history.
I'd say last year's final was pretty strong.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

danfrank wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:Kris: "Heartless" - He was able to keep track of the words, but this wasn't a good performance.

Are you serious? This was easily the best performance of the night, and one of the best by anybody this season. Kris has a musicality that the other two can't match, a real feel for music. I enjoy Adam for his theatrics, so I'm hoping for a Kris-Adam finale. I won't hope too hard, though, because this is American Idol after all, and it seems predestined that the dreadful Gokey will be successfully pimped into the final.

I agree with danfrank. This made chills go up and down my spine. Amazing performance. Just might eek his way into the finals with that despite the judges cumming in their pants over Gokey's obvious non-performance of "You Are So Beauti..." (just feel asleep, sorry).

I was pretty disappointed in Adam tonight. "One" was just okay. "Cryin'" was weird, shouty and just not good. He could've really blown something out of the ballpark. I expected a more original song choice from him. Kudos, though, for his totally genuine praise of Kris and Danny's performances. He's a real professional.

Kris takes tonight and should be in the top two alongside Adam to make up the strongest final two in Idol history.

edited to add: Just went back and read Sonic's comments and it appears we are on the same page for tonight. How bizarre!

Edited By flipp525 on 1242189752
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

OscarGuy wrote:Kris: "Heartless" - He was able to keep track of the words, but this wasn't a good performance.

Are you serious? This was easily the best performance of the night, and one of the best by anybody this season. Kris has a musicality that the other two can't match, a real feel for music. I enjoy Adam for his theatrics, so I'm hoping for a Kris-Adam finale. I won't hope too hard, though, because this is American Idol after all, and it seems predestined that the dreadful Gokey will be successfully pimped into the final.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

1. Adam - "Cryin'" - Personally, I don't think it was one of his best performances, but even merely good Adam is better than pretty much everything else: A

2. Kris - "Heartless" - Totally unfamiliar with this song, but I loved his performance: A-

3. Adam - "One" - A lesser U2 song, but Adam delivered (though Sonic is right about the cutting of the songs, especially for Adam--a problem there): B

4. Kris - "Apologize" - Again, a totally unfamiliar song for me, but he did ok: B-

5. Dokey - "You Are So Beautiful" - You'd think Cocker would be perfect for him, but he still manages to fuck it up: C-

6. Dokey - "Dance, Little Sister" - Yet another song I don't know, and he looked and sounded like an idiot: D

Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Oh, apropos of nothing, my wife watched for the first time this season. My wife, who thinks I'm crazy for watching this show and makes fun of me for it. My wife, the Harry Potter fanatic who has the cajones to make fun of my guilty pleasures. Anyway, she didn't care for any of the performances, but she does think Kris is really cute.

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1242181608
"What the hell?"
Win Butler

Return to “Broadcast Media”