2009 American Idol Thread

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Damn show got my hopes up for a minute.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

And I thought I was picky. I still listen to Erykah Badu's newest album from start to finish.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Zahveed wrote:I guess it depends on the genre. I don't even know who that is.

Belinda Carlisle's Heaven On Earth will be reissued on May 15 in a deluxe remastered edition, including remastered editions of the original dance mixes of "Heaven is a Place on Earth," "Circle in the Sand," "World Without You" and "I Get Weak", as well as a second disc, a live recording of a 1988 concert, which includes several hits from her Go-Gos days.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I do like Belinda Carlisle, but have never listened to her album, but the last one I can remember liking beginning-to-end was Annie Lennox's Diva.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

I guess it depends on the genre. I don't even know who that is.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

That certainly may be true, but let me put it to you this way: the last album I bought that I could listen to from beginning to end was Belinda Carlisle's Heaven On Earth...and that was 1987.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Penelope wrote:I'd buy a single by either performer, happily. (I've never been much of an album purchaser, unless it's a greatest hits compilation.)
In my opinion, some of an artist's best songs are the album tracks that don't get released as singles.
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Cam's wife for him:
Kris will win, Danny will go tonight--or maybe Adam. Adam cannot win this--he's too controversial. He is like Elvis--one of a kind, but NOT an American IDOL--he is no IDOL.
Kris didn't look so good last night, but he is still the best performer on the stage.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Oh, I will definitely grant that Kris is a terrific singer and also a very accomplished musician--I hope and pray he survives tonight and Gokey goes home.

Let's just say that Kris and Adam are two very different types of performers: Kris is of the Paul Simon/Jason Mraz sort while Adam is of the David Bowie/Freddy Mercury sort. Personally, I can appreciate both, and, honestly, I'd buy a single by either performer, happily. (I've never been much of an album purchaser, unless it's a greatest hits compilation.)

flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

dws1982 wrote:I think Kris is a better singer than Adam, even if his vocal ability may not be as strong. (And again, much of this comes to personal opinion. I would admittedly buy an album of Kris's any day before I'd buy an album Adam's, although I'm pressed to say what kind of album Adam would even record.)

This is something we'll never agree on this season, and I'm not going to keep making a thing of it. I can see why so many others like Adam, even if I don't feel that way myself. I just wish the show had let me like him (or not) on his own merits, rather than trying to force it on me.

Anyway, when Kris leaves, so do I.
I totally agree with this.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

OscarGuy wrote:Dream On was re-released in the early '90s while Aerosmith was having its pop resurgence, so she probably didn't think about it being a re-recording of their original work.

They also re-recorded it on an album (may have been a live album) they released in the late 90's. But since "Cryin'" and "Crazy" were from 94 or so...surely Kara doesn't think Aerosmith emerged in the 90's. Or maybe she does. She is the one who said one night she had three words for a contestant and proceeded with about eight.

For singing "Dream On" as written, Adam is obviously the only one who could've pulled that off. Kris probably could've done a good acoustic arrangement of it.

I'm going to predict Danny to go home. Some of Dial Idol's charts (not their main score) that have been very accurate this season, seem to point that direction.

Edited By dws1982 on 1241626471
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Zahveed wrote:My wife said it was the other way around, that Kara wasn't coming back next season. She makes the worst comments on the show, especially that one about Aerosmith. As mentioned before, "Dream On" was their first single. I'm not saying she should know everything about every band but at least hold back outlandish comments if you haven't done your research.

She probably wasn't thinking (like when she said she had 3 words, but had 4 or 5)...

Dream On was re-released in the early '90s while Aerosmith was having its pop resurgence, so she probably didn't think about it being a re-recording of their original work. Now, I'm not defending her, she's made far too many stupid statements on the show, but I'm just trying to put her mind into yours...

Edited By OscarGuy on 1241627059
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Penelope wrote:It's interesting you see it that way, because there have been times when Adam HAS been criticized by the judges (notably, his versions of "Ring of Fire" and "If I Can't Have You").

"If I Can't Have You" got raves from all four judges. (Pretty well deserved; It was very close to being great for me.) The only remotely negative thing said was something Simon said in response to Paula's nonsense. Nothing remotely negative about the performance from any of the judges. And "Ring of Fire" got criticized big time from Simon, but not from the others. Kara seemed confused by it, but said she liked it. Paula raved. Randy semi-raved.

I don't Danny that Danny's treatment has been over the top. But Danny's treatment has been that of a preferred runner-up, getting positives but not outrageous raves when he did well, and getting benign non-critiques when he didn't.

To act like Adam just started getting these raves is to be on the far side of the truth, in my opinion. Paula said he was in a league of his own the first night he performed on the show. Randy and Kara loved it. Simon said that "some parts" were very bad and "some parts" were brilliant. Paula declared he would be in the top two on top thirteen night; Simon said it was on a "different level" from everything else. "Tracks of My Tears" was declared best of the night by the judges. (Before the night was over.) "Play That Funky Music", a serviceable karaoke club performance got this: "True genius doesn't fulfill expectations. True genius shatters it. Mick Jagger, Steven Tyler, Adam Lambert!" The closest thing to negative was from Simon, which was this - "I don't think it'll make you as popular as last week, but you had fun", which, other than Simon's "Ring of Fire" critique, is the closest to a negative critique he's gotten. And the only contestant who has gotten such over the top praise, week in, week out, was Ruben Studdard. His treatment may have been even more over the top, because he only got one slightly negative critique the entire season. But he wasn't built up at the expense of everyone else--other contestants got credit when they did well.

But, c'mon, regardless of whether they're manipulating the show or not (and, of course, they are), there's no denying that Adam is far and away the best singer/performer on the show

Best performer, sure. But best singer? I do deny that. He has the best, most trained voice, and the widest range, but as an actual singer I don't think there's anything unique in his interpretations of the songs, or in his phrasing of the lyrics. (Your mileage my vary, yes. But music is about personal taste, and this is mine.) He's a better vocalist than everyone else, in the same way that Martina McBride and Faith Hill are better vocalists than people like Trisha Yearwood and Patty Loveless. But I think the latter two are far better singers, just like I think Kris is a better singer than Adam, even if his vocal ability may not be as strong. (And again, much of this comes to personal opinion. I would admittedly buy an album of Kris's any day before I'd buy an album Adam's, although I'm pressed to say what kind of album Adam would even record.)

This is something we'll never agree on this season, and I'm not going to keep making a thing of it. I can see why so many others like Adam, even if I don't feel that way myself. I just wish the show had let me like him (or not) on his own merits, rather than trying to force it on me.

Anyway, when Kris leaves, so do I.

Edited By dws1982 on 1241625397
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

flipp525 wrote:Poor Kris Allen. So talented, so cute, such a little-engine-that-could. I would pay to see the look on Gokey's face as he's voted off tonight and Kris, yet again, remains. To me, he's always been the dark horse of this competition.
Man, I SO hope that happens. A final three of Adam, Alison and Kris would be a beautiful thing.

Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

My wife said it was the other way around, that Kara wasn't coming back next season. She makes the worst comments on the show, especially that one about Aerosmith. As mentioned before, "Dream On" was their first single. I'm not saying she should know everything about every band but at least hold back outlandish comments if you haven't done your research.

Return to “Broadcast Media”