2009 American Idol Thread

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

--Sonic Youth wrote:If Thelma Huston and K(an't) C(ing) are any indication, it would seem to me that whatever requirements there are for you to be a disco recording artist, a good singing voice isn't one of them.

I know you're only making a rhetorical point here. And it's with that in mind that I say:

Yep, Michael Jackson, Cheryl Lynn, Sylvester, Philip Bailey, Loleatta Holloway, Teddy Pendergrass, Chaka Khan, Phyllis Hyman, Nick Ashford, Eddie Kendricks, Cory Daye, Gloria Gaynor ... not a first-rate singer among 'em.

Edited By OscarGuy on 1240878205
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

--Sonic Youth wrote:FWIW, I predict Lil' Rounds and Anoop-dog are done.

Saved for posterity. I'll never be this accurate again, nor will AI grant my wishes so throroughly. Lil was quite unique in that she was one of the few contestants I've ever seen who got worse with each passing week. What a fascinating case study.

Allison or Matt should be next to go.

If Thelma Huston and K(an't) C(ing) are any indication, it would seem to me that whatever requirements there are for you to be a disco recording artist, a good singing voice isn't one of them. Everyone who performed was abysmal.

Edited By OscarGuy on 1240878213
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

So, someone suggested the other day that Adam would do well as Jesus in Jesus Christ Superstar. I scoffed initially because all I could think about was "Gay Jesus", but she has a point. (and it all came about b/c I made an off-hand comment that Ted Neeley was still doing Jesus 30 years later...ad on the back of one of our newspaper sections).
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

If Archuleta has been performing for His Life he would have lost. His pitch was off, he was nasal, not comfortable --at first--at all. He' still a cute Huck-Finntype, still, and its not difficult to remember the two Davids from last year. He was far better this time last year, IMO.

I think we have our top three: Danny, Kris and Adam. I think that Danny will be third, and much depends on the judges for the other two. I hope it will be Kris. Adam is going to be a second Elvis( believe me--he even looks like Elvis ) and have a career totally removed from AI. ) Someone mentioned that they didn't think that Adam would win because he was "hard to handle." Kris is very genuine.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

OscarGuy wrote:The only people in the world who will, flipp....
One of his singles has hit platinum. His album is Gold. He's been touring the past couple of months where he sold out 22 out of 23 shows (including sold-out stops in Singapore and Malaysia).

Contrary to what you believe, he's doing very well.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

anonymous wrote:
Zahveed wrote:
anonymous wrote:Personally, any 2 combo of Adam, Kris and Allison would be a fine, fine finale.

Every final two has at least one annoying contestant, so I sense Danny may be in that combo.

The finale last year had no annoying contestant. :p
See Flipp's post.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The only people in the world who will, flipp....
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

That little freak David Archuleta sounded like shwag last night. Who are these people in the UK who are going to attend his concert?
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Zahveed wrote:
anonymous wrote:Personally, any 2 combo of Adam, Kris and Allison would be a fine, fine finale.

Every final two has at least one annoying contestant, so I sense Danny may be in that combo.
The finale last year had no annoying contestant. :p
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Personally, any 2 combo of Adam, Kris and Allison would be a fine, fine finale.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Allison shouldn't have gone. Lil and Matt would have been preferred, but Allison is amazingly talented. I just wish she'd go back to the Heart style she started out with.
Wesley Lovell
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

It should have been Allison. AND Lil.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

OscarGuy wrote:I think my favorite "name" for Danny is:

Danny Kar-a-Gokey
We need a laugh track for this board.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Sonic Youth wrote:Sorry about that. Although I did quote your post, I intended my comment to be directed more generally. Some people strive so hard to be 'cool' and 'clever', but since they have none of those attributes they put 'repulsive' across instead. I basically agree with everything you wrote.
Haha

My confusion concerning the moods and tones of online communication continues.

Return to “Broadcast Media”