2009 American Idol Thread

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

I'm I the only one thinking that Lambert could be considered for the role of Fiyero in the upcoming Wicked movie? He may even follow in the footsteps of Jennifer Hudson.

This years show is the first I've ever watched, and it seems to me that Lambert is the thorn in the side of the shows producers. Much like the British version (The X-Factor) the judges are prone to manipulating the audience in order to produce what they perceive as the 'Idol'. The Danny-boy seems to be their choice. Their comments for each act clearly gives this away. I can't remember who it was - it was one of the girls - and she gave a fantastic performance, and Randy Jackson noted this at the begining, but then went on to talk about how here clothes didn't look right for a recording artist... How gives a fuck what the girl's wearing? Paula Abdul is the best, though. She can ramble on forever without actually saying anything. All she seems to do is string random words together. The only time the judges give a coherent response is for the Danny-boy.

I can see the final of this thing resulting in Lambert and the Danny-boy. If so the result would be interesting. Danny clearly has the Bible-belt and God-fearing Right cumming in their pious pants. Danny does seem like the squeky-clean boy-next-door - a good Christian boy. Fuck all that, though, because there's nothing interesting or original about him. Now Lambert is someone people can get excited about. There's never been anyone like him before on these types of shows. In a show with a history of procuding nothing but generic bubble-gum pop-star wannabe's (David Cook aside) here is someone with the potential to be a fantastic, world-class performer. When I watched him perform last week I had a constant smile on my face from ear-to-ear. A shity show like American Idol shouldn't do that to me...

I know I've rambled on some-what aimlessly, but I'm starting to get quite passionate about Adam Lambert winning this thing. If Danny-boy does prove victorious, and it's clear that's what the producers want, then I'll give up all hope for American Idol ever producing an artist with substance.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

cam wrote:
Penelope wrote:Which, I should think, will happen for him regardless of whether he wins or not.

...which may a reason why he won't win. He has the exposure, and the win would make not a difference to him. He will be a hit anyway.
He could probably surpass the Archuleta/Aiken precedent set for second place winners, if that's the case.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Penelope wrote:Which, I should think, will happen for him regardless of whether he wins or not.
...which may a reason why he won't win. He has the exposure, and the win would make not a difference to him. He will be a hit anyway.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

While Lambert may be "the most difficult to control," I'm pretty sure they recognize that he is, far and away, the most talented of the bunch and the most likely to enjoy considerable success. Which, I should think, will happen for him regardless of whether he wins or not.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The pretty boys don't have a tendency to win. That Kris has made it this far is rather a miracle. While I think the producers WANT Danny to win (they don't have an artist yet in the Christian/Gospel niche, so why not him?), but I actually think we could all be surprised and see Allison win.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

I have said all along that I think it will be Kris
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

OscarGuy wrote:I think Idol wants to have Gokey win b/c Lambert is too difficult to control and they will want someone malleable for their contract.
I don't think Danny Gokey will win. He's nowhere near as malleable and marketable as Adam, Alison, Kris or even Matt and Lil. I can only see him being a success in the Christian/gospel music industry which is probably his most likely career path in music. He's no pop star.

If Adam won't win, it will either be Kris or Alison.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I think Idol wants to have Gokey win b/c Lambert is too difficult to control and they will want someone malleable for their contract.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Although I decry using another's personal misfortune to jumpstart your own career, it happens all the time: look at Johnny Cochrane, for instance: famous because he defended a pariah.

I haven't been offended by Danny's wife is death as he hasn't played it to the hilt, so far as I have noticed. It is an unfortunate thing, and it has occurred fairly recently, and was brought out early in the tryouts. Now we assume that every love song is meant "For Her Who Has Gone".
Contrarily, as well, I do find him talented. He doesn't look like a dyke, with or without his glasses, and the term "douchebag" is uncouth.
He won't win, as there are at least two better than he is, but it won't be because he "looks like a dyke", or is a "douchebag"
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Sonic Youth wrote:
Zahveed wrote:
flipp525 wrote:Totally going to hell for this but what the hay...maybe Danny's wife killed herself rather than continue being married to such a grade-A tool.

What makes him even more douchetastic is that he's riding on the wave of sympathy voters that still care about his dead wife, and he thinks it's because he's talented.

Interesting point. That must be why Jennifer Hudson got invited back.

I mean, Danny only has one casualty to his name, but he's no Jennifer Hudson. I'd think if your own mother, brother and nephew commits suicide-by-drug mob so as not to endure that klaxon horn that's supposed to pass for a singing voice, you're guaranteed a lifetime of sympathy from the stone-deaf.

Am I as funny as you guys? Am I?? Yee-ha!
Yes. Yes you are. The sarcasm is a little bit much, but by-golly I think you got it.

Honestly though, I wasn't trying to be funny. I think he comes off as a douche at times. I believe most of his votes are from sympathy. I don't think he realizes this. Put those ideas together and you get the sentence I wrote.

Yee-ha!
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Zahveed wrote:
flipp525 wrote:Totally going to hell for this but what the hay...maybe Danny's wife killed herself rather than continue being married to such a grade-A tool.

What makes him even more douchetastic is that he's riding on the wave of sympathy voters that still care about his dead wife, and he thinks it's because he's talented.
Interesting point. That must be why Jennifer Hudson got invited back.

I mean, Danny only has one casualty to his name, but he's no Jennifer Hudson. I'd think if your own mother, brother and nephew commits suicide-by-drug mob so as not to endure that klaxon horn that's supposed to pass for a singing voice, you're guaranteed a lifetime of sympathy from the stone-deaf.

Am I as funny as you guys? Am I?? Yee-ha!
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Over at Survivor Sucks in the American Idol forum, Danny is known as "Wife Killer" among other things. The posts about him are very mean, and very, very funny.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

On the subject of Cyrus, she'll either disappear like Hilary Duff or get coked up like Lohan and Spears. It's the Disney female curse. The only way Jodi Foster got out of it was by playing a prostitute in Taxi Driver.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

OscarGuy wrote:She fidgeted with her ear at one point in the performance, which didn't seem natural.

I noticed that, too, OscarGuy (she actually fidgeted with it twice). That might explain some wobbliness in her performance. I also wish she had chosen a different song from her album. There are way better ones than that.

Totally going to hell for this but what the hay...maybe Danny's wife killed herself rather than continue being married to such a grade-A tool.

Edited By flipp525 on 1239909257
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

I see VFTW is taking credit for "saving" Lil.

Return to “Broadcast Media”