Billy Bob Thornton is a jackass

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Not only was he rude to the interviewer but he hung his band out to dry with his asinine answers. One could see how uncomfortable they were. I wonder why they stay with him.....
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

This would have made a good Canadian-centric episode for South Park, but they already had one this season. Oh well.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Leeder
Graduate

Post by Leeder »

The interesting thing to me is that Thornton has given us all an excuse to be rude and vindictive.. against him.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Well, I'm Canadian, love mashed potatoes and hate gravy.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Big Magilla wrote:"Canadian audiences seem to be very reserved," he told Ghomeshi. "We tend to play places where people throw things at each other. Here, they just sort of sit there. And it doesn't matter what you say to 'em. ... It's mashed potatoes but no gravy."
The few times I've been in Canada I did find the Canadian people to be reserved; but, in a nice polite sort of way.
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

I know you are Canadian, Leeder; but it's not that we like the attention--it's that we all find Billy Bob Thornton a jackass.
Leeder
Graduate

Post by Leeder »

The whole unbelievable interview may be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJWS6qyy7bw.

After I watched it, I was sure that they'd find some feeble excuse to cancel the tour within a day or two. Sure enough...

I think Canadians are secretly liking the international attention.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

TORONTO – Billy Bob Thornton's band has canceled the rest of its Canadian tour after the actor compared the country's fans to mashed potatoes with no gravy in a testy interview that caused a sensation online.

The Boxmasters opened for Willie Nelson on Thursday in Toronto, where they reportedly were booed and met with catcalls of "Here comes the gravy."

A note posted on Nelson's Web site Friday said the Boxmasters were canceling the rest of their Canadian dates "due to one band member and several of the crew having the flu."

The cancellation came two days after Thornton made world headlines with a belligerent appearance on CBC radio's "Q."

The actor apparently didn't like that host Jian Ghomeshi started the interview with references to Thornton's Hollywood career.

Thornton refused to answer many of Ghomeshi's questions directly, mumbling: "I don't know what you're talking about." He later said Ghomeshi's producers had been told ahead of time not to talk about his film career.

Thornton also had some unkind words for Canadian crowds.

"Canadian audiences seem to be very reserved," he told Ghomeshi. "We tend to play places where people throw things at each other. Here, they just sort of sit there. And it doesn't matter what you say to 'em. ... It's mashed potatoes but no gravy."

Before his Thursday night gig, Thornton tried to clarify those remarks, saying he loved Canada and his "mashed potatoes" comment had been aimed at Ghomeshi.

Media around the world delighted in the story. Entertainment Weekly's Web site ran the headline, "Billy Bob Thornton: What's his problem?"

Return to “The People”