Peabody Awards

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Entourage should be the anti-thesis of the Peabody awards. It's just a giant circle jerk. At least with Sex and the City, the girls fuck mannequins with some degree of personality and it's to make some form of satiric point. How many times can you watch the same idiots succeed beyond their wildest expectations and fuck the same identical hot girl week after week?
"How's the despair?"
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

FilmFan720 wrote:
anonymous wrote:
dws1982 wrote:They seem kind of behind the curve honoring Lost and Entourage now when they both had a lot more buzz three or four years ago.

Lost is as great as ever now though.

I don't know if I would quite say that, but this is definitely up there in quality of the show. The show has always been at its best when looking at the ensemble as a whole, and pitting characters and their sensibilities against each other. If we learned anything from the beginning of season 3, it is that the show doesn't work when they split characters up and forget about them for episodes at a time. This isn't nearly as bad, but the show is getting back in its rut of ignoring key players for a month at a time (and Terry O'Quinn and Michael Emerson are two keys to making the show work) and putting those we do see in thankless positions. Why is Miles even on the show anymore, he does absolutely nothing...not to mention poor Desmond and Faraday who have been castoff for no particular reason.
The 100th episode of the show ("The Variable") is a Faraday-centric episode. Despite his 4-episode absence I really doubt they're "ignoring" or "forgetting" Desmond (or any characters for that matter). The show's a huge ensemble and the story's a complex mythology so not everyone will appear in every episode. The writers of the show have been quite meticulous in their storytelling at least as of late. As for Miles, there has to be a reason he's still there or else he would've been killed off by now (I believe he has an episode coming up as well).

I'm a huge Lost fan (I like listening to the podcasts and audio commentaries on the DVD) so I know that the producers and the writers, by and large, know what the hell they're doing and this fascinating, complex monster of a story is most definitely going somewhere.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

anonymous wrote:
dws1982 wrote:They seem kind of behind the curve honoring Lost and Entourage now when they both had a lot more buzz three or four years ago.

I don't know if I would quite say that, but this is definitely up there in quality of the show. The show has always been at its best when looking at the ensemble as a whole, and pitting characters and their sensibilities against each other. If we learned anything from the beginning of season 3, it is that the show doesn't work when they split characters up and forget about them for episodes at a time. This isn't nearly as bad, but the show is getting back in its rut of ignoring key players for a month at a time (and Terry O'Quinn and Michael Emerson are two keys to making the show work) and putting those we do see in thankless positions. Why is Miles even on the show anymore, he does absolutely nothing...not to mention poor Desmond and Faraday who have been castoff for no particular reason.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

My comment had nothing to do with the quality of the show.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

They seem kind of behind the curve honoring Lost and Entourage now when they both had a lot more buzz three or four years ago.

The biggest snub has to be HBO's Generation Kill; I don't have a clue why it's been roundly snubbed by almost every awards body. Hopefully the Emmys will rectify this snub.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

They forgot my win.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
paperboy
Temp

Post by paperboy »

Jeez, it might've been shorter to post what didn't win. They're very generous, aren't they?
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

OscarGuy wrote:What exactly IS the point of the Peabody awards?
The Pulitzers for TV.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

What exactly IS the point of the Peabody awards?
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Complete list of 2008 Peabody Award winners
___

"Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony" (NBC and Zhang Yimou)

"This American Life: The Giant Pool of Money" (Public Radio International) "Chicago Public Radio's This American Life" National Public Radio, News Division

"Coverage of 2008 Presidential Primary Campaigns and Debates" (CNN)

"Entourage" (HBO)

"Depression: Out of the Shadows" (PBS), Twin Cities Public Television and WGBH Boston

"The New York Times" Web site (http://www.nytimes.com)

"Black Magic" (ESPN), ESPN Films in association with Shoot the Moon Productions

"Jungle Fish" (KBS 2TV), Korean Broadcasting System

"China: The Earthquake of Chengdu" (National Public Radio)

"NOAH Housing Program Investigation" (WWL-TV, New Orleans)

"Hopkins" (ABC News)

"Saturday Night Live Political Satire, 2008" (NBC), in association with NBC Universal Studios

"John Adams" (HBO), Playtone in association with HBO Films

"Hear and Now" (HBO), in association with Vermillion Films, Inc.

"Washington Week with Gwen Ifill" (PBS & pbs.org/washingtonweek), WETA-TV, Washington, DC

"Independent Lens: King Corn" (PBS), Mosaic Films, Independent Television Service (ITVS), Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB)

"Breaking Bad" (AMC), Sony Pictures Television, High Bridge Productions, Gran Via Productions

"The Gates" (HBO), Maysles Films in association with HBO Documentary Films and CVJ

"The Red Race" (Shanghai TV Station), NDR Fernsehen, Shanghai Media Group

"36 Years in Solitary: Murder, Death and Justice on Angola" (NPR/All Things Considered)

"Avatar: The Last Air Bender" (NICK)

"Crossfire: Water, Power and Politics" (KLAS-TV, Las Vegas)

"Ape Genius" (PBS), NOVA, National Geographic Television, John Rubin Productions, Inc.

"CBS News 60 Minutes: Lifeline" (CBS)

"Lost" (ABC)

"Sichuan Earthquake Coverage" (Sichuan Television)

"Independent Lens: Mapping Stem Cell Research — Terra Incognita" (PBS), Kartemquin Educational Films, Independent Television Service (ITVS)

"P.O.V.: Campaign" (PBS)

"Failing the Children: Deadly Mistakes" (KMGH-TV, Denver)

"Richard Engel Reports: Tip of the Spear" (NBC), NBC Nightly News

"The Metropolitan Opera: Live in HD Series," The Metropolitan Opera Association

"Nanking" (HBO), A Ted Leonsis Production in association with HBO Documentary Films

"Hearst-Argyle Television: Commitment 2008" (Hearst-Argyle Stations)

"Onion News Network"(http://www.theonion.com), The Onion

"Turner Classic Movies" (TCM), Turner Broadcasting System Inc.

"YouTube" (http://www.youtube.com), YouTube, LLC

Yay, Lost!

Edited By anonymous on 1238695151

Return to “Broadcast Media”