Tony Awards... - A low-key season?

For discussions of subjects relating to literature and theater.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Speaking of a play that transferred from off-Broadway, Irena's Vow opened yesterday. Reviews range from negative to raves (NY Times was Negative), while reviews for leading lady Tovah Feldshuh range from mildly positive to (mostly) very strong to raves. In another, weaker year, I'd say she might manage to win on career points. But in a year this strong, I doubt she even gets a nomination, unless one of the big guns flops. The "Irena's Vow Reviews" thread at BroadwayWorld is funny, as people who insist that this is Tovah's year face off with those who disagree.

Edited By dws1982 on 1238420910
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Big Magilla wrote:
cam wrote:I am not familiar with the rules re Off-Broadwy plays in the running for the Tony.I thought Dividing The Estate and [title of show] played Off-Broadway first.

The Tonys do not recognize Broadway off-Broadway runs. The Drama Desk awards and others would consider (title of show) ineleigible for this season as it played off-Broadway a couple of years ago. It's probably not going to be nominated for anything anyway,

I'm not familiar with Th Estate, but the same rule would apply.

Even though it didn't find an audience, [title of show] is beloved in the theatre community and I expect it to receive a number of nominations, including Best Musical.

Cam, if a show transfers from off-Broadway to Broadway, it's then eligible for the Tony. Torch Song Trilogy is an example of a Best Play winner that came in from off-Broadway (off-off-Broadway, actually).

Guys and Dolls actually received mostly terrible reviews (with everyone wondering, how the hell do you mess up Guys and Dolls?), with John Lahr in The New Yorker a notable exception.

Edited By Damien on 1238283864
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

cam wrote:I am not familiar with the rules re Off-Broadwy plays in the running for the Tony.I thought Dividing The Estate and [title of show] played Off-Broadway first.
The Tonys do not recognize Broadway off-Broadway runs. The Drama Desk awards and others would consider (title of show) ineleigible for this season as it played off-Broadway a couple of years ago. It's probably not going to be nominated for anything anyway,

I'm not familiar with Th Estate, but the same rule would apply.
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

I am not familiar with the rules re Off-Broadwy plays in the running for the Tony.I thought Dividing The Estate and [title of show] played Off-Broadway first.
One should consider Enter Laughing, and whoever said Hair would win, obviously has not seen the rave reviews for Guys And Dolls. West Side Story( partly in Spanish) would be my second choice.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Okri wrote:How about Cate Blanchett, flipp? Three more oscar nominations, some acclaimed stage productions and the upcoming BAM production of A Streetcar Named Desire. At the very least, she's escaped the curse.
I totally forgot about her. Absolutely, yes. She also should've been nominated for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button this past year.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

How about Cate Blanchett, flipp? Three more oscar nominations, some acclaimed stage productions and the upcoming BAM production of A Streetcar Named Desire. At the very least, she's escaped the curse.

I always assumed if one of the two leading candidates in best play is American, go for that one (Doubt vs The Pillowman, Arcadia vs Love! Valour! Compassion, Last Night of Ballyhoo vs Skylight, Side Man vs Closer etc). So I think Dividing the Estate will take it.

For me, the most bizarre thing about this Tony season thus far is the inclusion of The American Plan as a new play. I love the play (maybe not top tier Greenberg, but damn near close), but it's in no way a new play. It opened the same time as Assassins, and the was a revival in 03/04.

Mary Stuart better be awesome.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Damien, when are we going to get Inside Tony? I feel like the wheelings and dealings and politicking are even worst here than the Oscars...and the divas even cattier!
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

The three boys from Billy Elliot will count as one entity for purposes of the Best Actor -- Musical race. I'd say their winning is a done deal.

Alice Ripley in Next To Normal is said to be amazing; Sutton Foster received wonderful reviews for Shrek, although there's no love lost on that show.

Best Actress in a Play is an embarrassment of riches, with the fllowing in the mix: Jane Fonda (33 Variations), Kristin Scott Thomas (The Seagull), Janet McTeer (Mary Stuart), Harriet Walter (Mary Stuart), Angela Lansbury (Blithe Spirit), Carla Gugino (Desire Under the Elms), Elisabeth Moss (Speed-The-Plow), possibly Susan Sarandon.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
paperboy
Temp

Post by paperboy »

Billy Elliot and God of Carnage to win the top prizes? Unless there's something lurking out there I don't know about.

I think Billy Elliot's a done deal. God of Carnage's only competition would seem to be Reasons To Be Pretty, Dividing The Estate and Irena's Vow. Unless they want to honor the late Horton Foote or (less likely) encourage Neil LaBute I'd say Yasmina Reza is collecting her second Tony.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

My gut reaction to the Lansbury mention was also that Mme. Arcati was a supoorting role. But Lansbury, as a top-line name, might be slated in lead the same way Page was.

Fonda, Scott Thomas and the ladies from Carnage seem like the strongest best actress candidates, but I long ago abandoned trying to understand the quirks of the Tony nominating committee. They could just as easily decide everyone in Carnage is featured, or snub Fonda for no reason beyond her celebrity (as they did Dustin Hoffman when his '84 Death of a Salesman won critical raves).

What about Gandolfini for lead actor? God of Carnage seems more audience-friendly than Ionesco.

Someone I know saw Impressionism. His comment: "I don't think I'm a stupid person, but I had no idea what was going on"

Billy Elliot and God of Carnage to win the top prizes? Unless there's something lurking out there I don't know about.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

dws1982 wrote:Marcia Gay Harden (God of Carnage--possibly featured),

I forgot about this one. Two friends of mine in NYC who are a couple (one of whom is a Tony nominee himself ;) said that Marcia Gay Harden was hilariously fabulous in God of Carnage.

As a sidenote, has there been any other Best Supporting Actress winner this past decade who's continued to turn in such varied, dynamic performances after her win? (Okay, maybe Tilda Swinton as well, but it's early). Harden's work in Damages (especially last week's episode that she put in her pocket and walked away with -- not an easy feat when you're sharing a screen with Glenn Close) has been superlative. Add her heartbreaking nominated performance in Mystic River, another powerful turn in The Dead Girl, and the list goes on. There've been a couple pay-the-bills type roles (Mona Lisa Smile comes to mind), but for the most part it looks like she escaped the curse Best Supporting Actress curse of slipping into obscurity, phoning it in performance after performance or becoming a vacant blockbuster whore.

Edited By flipp525 on 1238001188
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

When considering the Best Musical nominees, ALWAYS consider what would sell well on tour. A large portion of Tony voters are tour performers or producers, which explains why a show like Spamalot can win a Tony even when, though an amusing romp, is not a "great" musical in most senses of the word. It generally effects both winners and nominees.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
paperboy
Temp

Post by paperboy »

There are very few original musicals getting premiered on Broadway this season. How would this affect the Tonys? Billy Elliot is a sure thing among the Best Muscial Show line up, but what else is out here?

Definite nominee will be Billy Elliot (winner) and the 'make up the numbers' nominees will come from Next To Normal, 9 to 5, Title of Show, Rock of Ages or Shrek.

Has anyone heard something about "Nice Work if you can get it"?

It fell apart after director Kathleen Marshall pulled out. Never played its tryout in Boston and is officially "postponed" (read: don't hold your breath).

And as for revivals, it seems like a better scenario (as last year's one). But only with the new productions of Hair, West Side Story and Guys & Dolls the category feels already empty.

Pal Joey will make up the numbers and Hair will probably win.

Finally, is the already closed Equus nominable as a play? Did it got good reviews?

It's eligible for Best Revival (Play) as the original production won Best Play in 1975. Also eligible are the revivals of The Seagull, A Man For All Seasons, All My Sons, Speed The Plow, Blithe Spirit, Exit The King, Joe Turner's Come and Gone, Mary Stuart, The Norman Conquests, The Philanthropist, Desire Under The Elms and Waiting For Godot so I'd guess Equus will miss the cut.

Edited By paperboy on 1237985342
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Reza wrote:Why is Angela Lansbury being mentioned for the lead category? Isn't it a supporting role?
Not necessarily. Geraldine Page was nominated in the best actress category for her Madame Arcati in the 1987 revival which she was appearing in when she died. None of the other actors (Richard Chamberlain, Blythe Danner, Judith Ivey) were nominated.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Why is Angela Lansbury being mentioned for the lead category? Isn't it a supporting role?

Return to “The Cam Dagg Memorial Theatre and Literature Forum”