Books for a 3 year old - Recommendations...?

For discussions of subjects relating to literature and theater.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

They should start putting those in science classes. What we need is a child's book that is more accurate than most above average text books, and they're cheap enough for public schools to afford.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Stephen Hawking and his daughter Lucy are actually writing a series of children's books:

http://www.newscientist.com/article....or.html

http://www.amazon.com/Georges....&sr=1-2

Edited By Greg on 1237421503
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I'm out to everybody in my family, but doubt he has any concept of it. I mean, he's seen my desktop wallpaper, but I don't know if he exactly makes the connection.

I think Zahveed is somewhat right. Parker's closest friend is Daniel, the 3 year old who lives next door. In a way, they're almost boyfriends: Daniel gave Parker a picture of him and they've exchanged Valentine's. I have to admit, I'm overjoyed that both parents are so supportive and encouraging of what, a few years ago, might've been frowned upon.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Boys, and it seems more often than girls, tend to just like anyone until it's taught to them who they should be attracted to. I remember when my brother was younger than five he would talk about wanting to kiss boys or having a boyfriend instead of a girlfriend, but still like girls too. There's a carefree quality about them that carries on until they are taught otherwise.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Someone's biological clock is ticking! :)

That is kind of a sweet story. Does he know you're gay or does even have a conceptualization of what that is? Sometimes children need to lead the world because for all of their tantrums and annoyances, they really are trusting and have no idea what hate really is...until it's taught to them.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

That's a sweet story.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I have share this with somebody: for most of the morning, I played trains with my nephew, Parker, while Thomas the Tank Engine videos played on the TV. I went out for lunch and when I got back, Parker was still playing trains and watching Thomas. I played with him for awhile, then went into the other room to watch As the World Turns. Parker kept asking me to play with with him ("Play trains with me, Uncle!") and I told him I would when my show was over. Then, surprising me, he came over and sat down next to me and was watching the show with me, one hand around my neck, his head snuggled up against my right arm, his hand clutching the arm. He fell asleep.

I've never experienced that before: that a child can be so trusting, so at peace. I was so overwhelmed. It's 99.9% certain that I'll never have a child of my own, so I'm going to cherish that moment forever.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

The Frog and Toad series of books.
Movielover
Graduate

Post by Movielover »

Up in the Tree by Margaret Atwood. It's brilliant!
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Little Bear
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

I always found the Thomas stories to be extremely boring. I understood what they did when I was a kid but I didn't give a shit what they did in their spare time. It's all about the Doctor. There are some real lessons to be had in those stories for children and adults. That with the mixture of the inventive names and what-the-hell architecture makes it pretty entertaining.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

It's not just capitalist; there's almost an undercurrent of slave labor to the Thomas stories. Somehow, it's not a surprise that they were written by a "man of the cloth."

But you can't fight it. The nephew has a piercing scream.

cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Let me tell you: It's Thomas all the way. Regardless of the illogic of all these fucking trains on this little island of Sodor (odd name!) doing fuck-all, but shunting back and forth, little boys love it. *I* love the names of the engines, Mavis, etc. So Brit. It's also capitalist: the owner is a Peer.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

I read my son a story from my Dr. Suess collection every now and then. I'd go with one of the actual narratives and not the learning books.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I don't know how parents would feel, but the Series of Unfortunate Events, though a bit sad and depressing, is an excellent read. :)
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “The Cam Dagg Memorial Theatre and Literature Forum”