Steve Martin backing play banned by school

For discussions of subjects relating to literature and theater.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Several years ago, this play was supposed to be turned into a movie starring Martin and Kevin Kline, but nothing came of it.

I do remember the play being fairly well received, though.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Sonic Youth wrote:He said he was supporting the production because he did not want his play "acquiring a reputation it does not deserve".
FSM forbid he support it for freedom of speech.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I can't really see why anyone would object to the play? It's really tame...hell, I can't even imagine anyone wanting to put the play on in the first place. A friend was in the play put on by the local technical community college and it was very meandering. It wanted to be something it wasn't and I think it had more to do with the source than the performers because they were fairly good...my problem with the play really comes in the last act...it gets rather silly and rather insipid at the same time.

My friend was also in a production of Fuddy Meers, which I had never heard of, but enjoyed the hell out of, but that's definitely not a high school kind of production.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Steve Martin backing banned play
BBC News

Comic actor Steve Martin has stepped in to support a school production of his play that was banned after parents objected to its adult themes.

Students at La Grande High School in Oregon were stopped from staging Picasso at the Lapin Agile.

Martin has offered to help pay for the play to be performed off-campus.

He said he was supporting the production because he did not want his play "acquiring a reputation it does not deserve".

Written in 1993, the play depicts a meeting between a young Pablo Picasso and Albert Einstein in a Parisian bar in which they get into a discussions on the superior merits of art or science.

Wrong impression

In a letter to the La Grande Observer, Martin said although there were lines in the play he understood parents may feel uncomfortable letting their children say, the students knew the "questionable behaviour sometimes evident in the play is not endorsed".

He also wrote that, contrary to the protests, the play was not about "people drinking bars and treating women as sex objects".

"The play has been performed, without incident, all over the world by professional and amateur companies, including many high schools," Martin added.

Rehearsals for the play were stopped after the headteacher received a letter from a parent which contained a petition signed by 137 people against the staging of the play.

Teacher and director Kevin Cahill told La Grande Observer that funds were now being raised to put the play on at the nearby Eastern Oregon University.

Any money left over from Martin's donation will be put towards acting scholarships for students.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler

Return to “The Cam Dagg Memorial Theatre and Literature Forum”