Your top five current TV shows

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

This week's South Park was probably the best Dark Knight/Watchmen parody ever.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Our daughter told us about RuPaul's Drag Race. What a hoot! "It's time for me to say: Sashay Away". We roared. No worse that Biggest Loser and funnier.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

I think this thread is efficient enough for what I have to say.

I think it's great that The Simpsons is recovering from their slump they had before their move to HD, but Family Guy is still getting progressively worse. Tonight's episode has to be one of the worst they ever produced.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Mad Men is my number one, but I only included shows on my list that are currently on the air.

Edited By flipp525 on 1237174205
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Basically, I just didn't have time to watch hour long dramas and told myself if I really cared, I'd watch them all on DVD. And I will. All of them...sigh...

I hear Lost is fantastic these days. I do not have a free week of my life to devote to unadulterated Lost watching to catch up. Wake me up when we find out they all died.
"How's the despair?"
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

dws1982 wrote:
Sabin wrote:Thankfully not current on Heroes and Lost.

I'm thankfully not current on either of those as well. Unfortunately, I only gave up on Lost after investing in 2+ seasons. I actually started it when it aired and bailed after the Pilot. But then I got the DVD, and caught up, and kept watching the new episodes for awhile. In retrospect, I wish I had followed my initial instinct.

It's funny, though, to hear my parents, especially my dad talk about Lost. Every week, it's the same thing, "This show better improve and start making some sense or I'm finished." Every week it's the same line, and every week, he watches the entire episode. He's like the abused woman who keeps going back to the same man.

I don't understand this criticism of Lost. It's supposed to be mystery show. It has a rather complex mythology that can be understood if one stuck to the show from the very beginning and paid attention. Even if you have a hard time following the mythology, the show has a lot of interesting, well-drawn and well-written characters.

I'm sort of glad I didn't get into Heroes though. I hear the second season's drop in quality is pretty steep.

Ken Leung is a great addition to the show. He plays a medium. But unlike all the other portrayals of mediums, he's not a good-natured, eccentric, loopy person. He's a sarcastic, at times rude and down-to-earth guy. I hope they develop his character more in the coming episodes.

Edited By anonymous on 1237118909
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Okri wrote:Pushing Daisies - it'll be cancelled, though, so whatever
This is another favorite of mine. It's a shame it's being canceled. I heard there may be a movie though.
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

I tend to stick with shows on DVD (faves being The West Wing, Six Feet Under, slowly making my way through The Wire, etc.) I don't watch a whole lot of specific TV shows, but I tend to find time for:

1. 24 (I gave up halfway through season six, it was just terrible compared to what I feel is the high-point of season five, but this season has recovered nicely. Bauer is at times less the focus, and Cherry Jones as President Taylor is great. Jon Voight being recently introduced as a bad guy will have to be developed further before I can comment, but so far the season has been a welcome return to form)

2. Lost (exactly like dws's dad: I guess I like the abuse! Now that they have a set end date they are pushing the story arc forward rather than the dicking around of season 4, an interminable bore. Ken Leung has an interesting character that they haven't really developed a whole lot, hopefully they will get on this soon.)

3. Mad Men (one of the very few - if not the first - TV show I watched on air as it was being aired as opposed to DVD, other than of course The Simpsons. No need to elaborate further.)

4. Breaking Bad (okay, I've only seen the first four episodes of the six-episode first season, and missed the season two premiere, but the premise, the look and the acting in the show seem to be constantly in my mind, I am very intrigued where this goes.)

5. TLC / Food Network (I regularly watch Jon & Kate + 8, most of their medical shows, Iron Chef America, Diners Drive-Ins and Dives, and Kitchen Nightmares - preferably the UK version. Anytime I happen to be watching nothing in particular on TV, I will turn to these stations.)
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

dws1982 wrote:

I'm thankfully not current on either of those as well. Unfortunately, I only gave up on Lost after investing in 2+ seasons. I actually started it when it aired and bailed after the Pilot. But then I got the DVD, and caught up, and kept watching the new episodes for awhile. In retrospect, I wish I had followed my initial instinct.

It's funny, though, to hear my parents, especially my dad talk about Lost. Every week, it's the same thing, "This show better improve and start making some sense or I'm finished." Every week it's the same line, and every week, he watches the entire episode. He's like the abused woman who keeps going back to the same man.
Interesting. I can't say that I've given up on Lost like I did with Battlestar Galactica, but I can't work up the energy to watch the fourth season either (which I bough with the intention of catching up before the fifth. Didn't even remotely happen). I'm so far behind on all my TV watching, though (still haven't seen the fifth season of The Wire or even bothered finishing the third season of BSG or the first of Mad Men).

Interesting to see Sabin's list as all comedies. I'm really quite disappointed with the current comedic slate. Then again, I bailed on 30 Rock in the first season, so maybe I should just shut up.

Right now, shows that I've actually made a point of catching (somehow)...

Pushing Daisies - it'll be cancelled, though, so whatever

Being Human - BBC show, probably will get an airing on this side of the pond sometime. Wildly inconsistent, but enjoyable.

Swingtown - Also cancelled. Also inconsistent. Also, with a great cast.

The Fixer - ITV show. Not as good as it should be, but I like the cast.

The Thick of It - There's a movie spinoff coming, so even if it hasn't aired in two years, I'm counting it.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Bog wrote:
Sonic Youth wrote:
Greg wrote:
Did you catch the episode that had on Dr. George Smoot, who received the Physics Nobel Prize for his wok on the Big Bang theory?

I don't think so. The last eppy I saw had Summer Glau guest-starring. Totally unfugly, dawg!

One in the same, non?
Yes yes, I know.

You're not going to tell me I'm the only one who saw the show and didn't think "OMG, that's Dr. George Smoot! I recognize him!"
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Sonic Youth wrote:
Greg wrote:
Sonic Youth wrote:The Big Bang Theory

Did you catch the episode that had on Dr. George Smoot, who received the Physics Nobel Prize for his wok on the Big Bang theory?

I don't think so. The last eppy I saw had Summer Glau guest-starring. Totally unfugly, dawg!
One in the same, non?
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Greg wrote:
Sonic Youth wrote:The Big Bang Theory

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1237082960
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

1. Damages
2. RuPaul's Drag Race
3. Battlestar Galactica
4. Lost
5. The Real Housewives of New York City

Edited By flipp525 on 1237081655
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

I've never seen Lost, but Ken Leung who plays Miles is one of my Beloved's best friends. How's his character, acting, etc.?
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Return to “Broadcast Media”