Last Seen Movie - The Latest Movie You Have Seen; ratings

Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

flipp525 wrote:Any alternate opinions on 'Suspect'? I'm interested.
I saw it in '87, but I remember absolutely nothing about it. I'm sure it was green-lighted because of the success of The Jagged Edge.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

--flipp525 wrote:Any alternate opinions on 'Suspect'? I'm interested.

I haven't seen this in a number of years, but I recall liking it a lot.

It came out the same year as Moonstruck proving Cher could have had a long career as a "serious" actress if she had chosen to go that route. I believe it was filmed after Moonstruck but released first.

It was written by Eric Roth (Forrest Gump, Munich, The Good Shepherd, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button) and directed by Peter Yates (Bullitt, Breaking Away, The Dresser, The Run of the Country).

Is there any director of the last forty years with as erratic a career as Yates? In addition to the fondly remembered films mentioned above he also gave us the hapless John and Mary, the hopeless Eyewitness, the dismal Curtain Call and the dreary TV remake of A Separate Peace.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1241620200
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

--Reza wrote:Deconstructing Harry (Woody Allen, 1992) 7/10
The plot is basically built around one-liners. Had forgotten how amusingly foul mouthed the script is. Kirstey Alley and Judy Davis are very funny as the two hysterical females in Allen's life while Hazel Goodman is also very funny as the intelligent and contrastingly (as compared to all the other female characters in the film) calm hooker.

The much maligned Richard Benjamin is also around in great randy form.

Actually the film is from 1997.

I enjoyed it so much. Right now, the sliding out of focus idea is a recurrent joke in my own life, using the expresion/term quite often.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1241620210
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Any alternate opinions on 'Suspect'? I'm interested.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

The Visitor

7/10

Melancholic and deep. Jenkins is great.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Actresses (2007) Valeria Bruni Tedeschi 7/10

Echo (2007) Anders Morgenthaler 2/10

Chris and Don: A Love Story (2008) Tina Mascara & Guido Santi 9/10

Beautifully realized documentary about the 34 years relationship of writer Christoper Isherwood & Don Bachardy who was 30 years younger than Isherwood.

The film contains priceless archive footage and I'd think that anyone with an interest in 'old' Hollywood would find the film very interesting.

Edited By Precious Doll on 1236412282
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Watchmen- 5/10

Damnit.

Edited By Bog on 1236404893
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Deconstructing Harry (Woody Allen, 1997) 7/10
The plot is basically built around one-liners. Had forgotten how amusingly foul mouthed the script is. Kirstey Alley and Judy Davis are very funny as the two hysterical females in Allen's life while Hazel Goodman is also very funny as the intelligent and contrastingly (as compared to all the other female characters in the film) calm hooker.

The much maligned Richard Benjamin is also around in great randy form.

Edited By Reza on 1236486460
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Watchmen - (8/10)
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Watchmen - 5/10

Astonishing irrelevance. More above.
"How's the despair?"
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

New in Town (2009) Jonas Elmer 4/10

Tired and generic.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
paperboy
Temp

Post by paperboy »

In Bruges - 9/10

Seriously brilliant. Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleeson and Ralph Fiennes at the top of their game.

Baby Mama - 3/10

I never would've suspected a film featuring Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Steve Martin and John Hodgman could be so devoid of jokes. Tina really need to do a ghostwrite of the script.

Edited By paperboy on 1236343726
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

Ed Wood (Tim Burton) 6.5/10

Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist (Peter Sollett) 5/10

Colour Me Kubrick (Brian Cook) 5.5/10

Dick (Andrew Fleming) 6/10

Back to School (Alan Metter) 4/10

Basically zero script, all Rodney Dangerfield does is spew one-liners all over the place. Had its charm and some hilarious bits, but pretty underwhelming.
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

--Big Magilla wrote:The word strange has numerous meanings:

1. unusual, extraordinary, or curious; odd; queer: a strange remark to make.
2. estranged, alienated, etc., as a result of being out of one's natural environment: In Bombay I felt strange.
3. situated, belonging, or coming from outside of one's own locality; foreign: to move to a strange place; strange religions.
4. outside of one's previous experience; hitherto unknown; unfamiliar: strange faces; strange customs.
5. unaccustomed to or inexperienced in; unacquainted (usually fol. by to): I'm strange to this part of the job.

Yeah, sorry.. I didn't mean odd or weird, but extraordinary, curious...

Edited By Big Magilla on 1241620232
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Suspect (Peter Yates, 1987) 8/10

A highly engaging, very watchable courtroom thriller. Cher plays an overworked public defender who must represent a homeless, deaf-mute (an unknown Liam Neeson) accused of murdering a Washington D.C. secretary for $9 (her body is found in what is now the parking lot of the Georgetown movie theater). Dennis Quaid plays a lobbyist and juror who joins forces with her to uncover what's really going on. There's an interesting commentary on the failings of the justice system as well as its treatment of the poor and the homeless, the latter of which is still a rampant problem in Washington. Fantastic use of D.C. locales and a good score builds this one into a suspenseful crescendo with a major twist ending -- certainly something I've never seen before. Cher is wonderful, gutsy and has great chemistry with Quaid. John Mahoney as the judge on the case is exceptional, wholly unrecognizable from his "Frasier" character. Definitely recommend this underrated film.

Edited By flipp525 on 1236263673
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Return to “Other Film Discussions”