2009 American Idol Thread

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Hey, I like Anoop!

The only GOOD reason I see for putting through Jasmine is that they want more than one female minority in the Top 13. Since Tatiana is too unstable, they went with Jasmine.

But, yeah, Ricky Braddy got hosed. I don't know why though. The last time an ordinary looking guy who isn't the most polished performer was on Idol, he ended doing pretty well (Elliott Yamin).
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I was not at all pleased with the outcome last night. The double standard the judges impose seems to be more pronounced than usual. They attack Ricky for having not enough personality, yet dead fish Jasmine makes it through (I can't help but feel that her being the only minority in the group and Randy being the one to announce her passage to the Top 12 that reverse racism did have an impact here). Or how about telling Ricky and Jesse that they were choosing self-indulgent songs yet giving Matt, Anoop and Jasmine a chorus of support for doing the exact same thing.

Megan I like vocally, but her performance Thursday was not that great. Jasmine seemed more off-key than on. Tatiana got reamed for doing the same song again yet Anoop gets a gentle admonishment. You can tell by the wild cards and much of the Top 12...err 13...that the producers and the judges are pushing their choices more than letting people decide. There was a time when most people thought Wild Card spots meant the judges would send through people with talent...but then why are Anoop, Jasmine and Matt (sorry, don't like him) going through?
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

The snubbing of the obviously talented vocalist Ricky Braddy for the subpar Megan, Jasmine and Anoop, was particularly aggravating last night. He outsang three out of the four of them and was certainly on par with Matt. Simon had a hate on for him since day one for some ungodly reason.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

If the top three end up being Blind Guy, Dead Wife Guy, and Crazy Zaftig Girl, this will be the greatest season ever.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

anonymous wrote:
flipp525 wrote:Is there anywhere to find last night's performances on-line? I blanked and totally forgot it was on last night.

mjsbigblog has clips of all the performances. Not the entire show though.

Thanks. Go Lil Rounds!

Edited By flipp525 on 1236225002
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Nathaniel, the hair-banded "Olivia Newton-John"(Simon), a self-proclaimed "drama queen"---you remember he cried all the way through the prelims---sang "I'll Do Anything For Love( But I Won't Do That.)"
Best line of the evening: Simon: "Something tells me I bet you would do that."

Edited By cam on 1236187985
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

flipp525 wrote:Is there anywhere to find last night's performances on-line? I blanked and totally forgot it was on last night.
mjsbigblog has clips of all the performances. Not the entire show though.
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

If you use rapidshare, i can tell you where you can download it.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Yeah. I had it on and heard snippets here and there but other matters had my attention.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Is there anywhere to find last night's performances on-line? I blanked and totally forgot it was on last night.

Edited By flipp525 on 1236177946

dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

The recap is from the dress rehearsal, which is usually a couple of hours before the live show. They always do it this way on the live shows. The shows from this round usually aren't live--this is the first season I can remember with live performance shows at this stage.
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

It's all such a setup- the last performer of the week is like a chicken v. egg situation, whether Idol just chooses the route they want in earlier stages as such or whether they just attempt to manipulate and then hope. Danny Gokey, Adam Lambert, and Lil Rounds are obviously the golden children, given the cushy time slot, and then heaped with praise after finishing a show better than the 11 prior (for the most part- 2 hours is a long time). Anyway, this is neither here nor there.

My question to anyone who knows more than I do about the layout of the show...they showed the recap tonight of all 12 performances as they always do. During the recap, at least 2 of the performances were changed and really I cannot figure out how this could occur. That crazy weird looking Wagner Trugman kid didn't knock down the mic stand when they recapped and Lil Rounds didn't sing the same lyrics nor did she make a phone sign up to her ear and tell us to "call the show". Is this live? Does anyone else have it still on DVR and can watch back again? This is purely trivial I know, but 2 of the least subtle acts during any of the performances didn't happen when played back again at the end, so it baffles me.

Edited By Bog on 1236151864
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

The girl who sang "Bette Davis Eyes" is sister of Jonny Lang who's a Grammy winning blues/gospel musician.

This week's group was even worse than last week's. I did think the three who made it through were probably the three best, although Kris Allen needs to pick something better when he gets to the top twelve.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Yes and no, Sonic.

The first 12 of the 36 performed last week. The next twelve perform next week and a wild card set will perform the following week.

Tonight, there were some good singers with poor song choices. I liked both Allison (who did Heart) and the red head who sang Bette Davis Eyes. The girl with the huge tattoo on her arm has a great, distinctive voice, but it did not come through in that banal performance.
Wesley Lovell
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

I thought that WAS the top twelve. I just put it on for the first time Wednesday and only gave it half my attention. You mean there are 24 others to suffer through?

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1235762785
"What the hell?"
Win Butler

Return to “Broadcast Media”