The Show - What can we expect

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I'm sure we'll get all the skinny from Damien when he gets done with the after festivities and returns to a more normal life.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Why?
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Damien wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:
anonymous wrote:
I'm guessing...Zac Efron.

Gives us something else to watch for during the show - seeing if we can figure out who Damien is referring to. I doubt it would be Efron. He's likely to be a little timid and in awe of the big names watching him.

Actually Efron was a total professional. And knew how to pronounce perfectly some difficult names.
I was pretty sure before but now I'm certain the dick was "Sir" Ben Kingsley.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I'm presuming the "dick" was a male celebrity...?
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Big Magilla wrote:
anonymous wrote:
Damien wrote:One presenter, however, was a total dick.

Gives us something else to watch for during the show - seeing if we can figure out who Damien is referring to. I doubt it would be Efron. He's likely to be a little timid and in awe of the big names watching him.
Actually Efron was a total professional. And knew how to pronounce perfectly some difficult names.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Big Magilla wrote:
paperboy wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:Best Director - Roman Polanski reading names by satellite, envelope then opened by soon to be 13 year old Abigail Breslin.

Brilliant.

As for that alleged order of presentation, why would they put the most competitive acting award first?

Tradition. Supporting Actor or Actress almost always comes first. With the Supporting Actor award expected to be the emotional highlight of the evening when Michelle Williams takes the stage to accept Heath Ledger's Oscar, possibly with their daughter in tow, they aren't about to throw that one away that early in the evening.

Interestingly they're saving the In Memoriam segment until just before the final awards.
Queen Latifah will present and sing the In Memoriam segment.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

anonymous wrote:

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Damien wrote:Oh, and it was awesome being in the presence of the great Jerry Lewis, only some 30 feet or so away from him mugging and doing schtick.
I envy you those 30 feet. Some of the worst moments of my life were spent in an elevator with Jerry Lewis doing his schtick in my face. 30 feet would have been a welcome distance.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Damien wrote:
paperboy wrote:
Penelope wrote:Do we have any kind of confirmation that Williams will be there to accept Ledger's Oscar? As far as I know, she hasn't done so yet for any of the precursor awards.

Ledger's father, mother and sister leaving for LA made the news down here last week, with the implication they'd be accepting.

There are three seats down front marked "Heath Ledger's Family."
It's all good, but there was a press release last week from the Academy stating that Ledger's Oscar, should he win, will go to Matilda so whoever accepts will be doing so for her. Since Michelle is Matilda's mother and guardian she is the person most likely to accept in her behalf.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

I'm so glad for you Damien. Have a great time!
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Back from the dress rehearsal. A few kinks to be worked out, but it looks like a terrific show. Excellent production numbers, a couple nice digs at The Reader. Smart dialogue. Terrific clip montages.

One presenter, however, was a total dick.

Oh, and it was awesome being in the presence of the great Jerry Lewis, only some 30 feet or so away from him mugging and doing schtick.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

paperboy wrote:
Penelope wrote:Do we have any kind of confirmation that Williams will be there to accept Ledger's Oscar? As far as I know, she hasn't done so yet for any of the precursor awards.

Ledger's father, mother and sister leaving for LA made the news down here last week, with the implication they'd be accepting.
There are three seats down front marked "Heath Ledger's Family."
paperboy
Temp

Post by paperboy »

dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Damien wrote:I'm amidst some of the Animated Short Subject nominees, and my all-time favorite Mike Leigh is two rows ahead of me.

So will you speak to him?

Edited By dws1982 on 1235267382

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”