RIP Robert Anderson

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The step-daughter is from his marriage to Teresa Wright (1959-1978). Her father was Ms. Wright's first husband, the writer Niven Busch (1942-1952).

Edited By Big Magilla on 1234304671
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Playwright, screenwriter Robert Anderson dies at 91
Last Updated: Tuesday, February 10, 2009 | 2:47 PM ET

Playwright, author and screenwriter Robert Anderson, known for Broadway hits like Tea and Sympathy as well as films such as The Nun's Story, has died at the age of 91.

Anderson died of pneumonia at his Manhattan home on Monday, according to his stepdaughter, Mary-Kelly Busch. She added that he had also suffered from Alzheimer's disease for the past few years.

The New York-born, Harvard-educated Anderson wrote novels as well as for stage, film and television.

He is best known for his 1953 Broadway drama Tea and Sympathy, which starred Deborah Kerr as a prep school headmaster's wife who falls in love with a student, portrayed by John Kerr.

Anderson also adapted the script for the subsequent film version of the play directed by Vincent Minnelli, for which both Broadway leads reprised their roles.

His other stage credits included the one-act comedy collection You Know I Can't Hear You When the Water's Running, Silent Night, Holy Night and I Never Sang for My Father.

In Hollywood, Anderson received Academy Award nominations for his screenplays for The Nun's Story, the 1959 film starring Audrey Hepburn, as well as for the film version of his play I Never Sang for My Father.

A U.S. Navy lieutenant in the Pacific during the Second World War, Anderson adapted stories about the region, include penning screenplays for the James A. Michener story Until They Sail and the Richard McKenna novel The Sand Pebbles.

Anderson's own novels included 1973's After and, five years later, Getting Up and Going Home.

A memorial for Anderson will take place Friday.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster

Return to “The People”