Toronto Film Critics Association

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

It's good to see that even you can recognize your own inability to provide valid, constructive criticism. Admitting you have a problem IS the first step.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

OscarGuy wrote:As for your "criticism", I would appreciate something far more specific because right now, you remind me of the obnoxious Harvey Karten who had a fit about my writing when I first started out in the Online Film Critics Society. He never could provide examples of his problems, he just made general statements (like you have).

Phew... Good to know I'm not the only one.

Edited By flipp525 on 1230576923
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

I guess that whole deep-breath-count-to-ten thing didn't work out so hot this time.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Sequel? Please no. The Wrestler is a strong film whose ending is, while surprising to me, perfectly within reason for the scope of the film. That they would even consider expanding this and taking it further when its intent and resolution were so clear and unambiguous that it actually devalues the film in my opinion.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Well, since OG brought me into it, yes, I have to say his writing style has improved immensely and he takes constructive criticism very well.

His review of The Wrestler is a good example. It doesn't contain spoilers.

I haven't seen the film so I have no idea how it ends but since there's talk of a sequel with Rourke and Tomei it is unlikely that either one of them dies.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

How about you actually watch the film before judging what I said as a spoiler. For me it was a surprising end, but to you it might be conventional. That's the power of movie making. To borrow from another discussion, some people might find John Wayne the pinnacle of acting whereas I find him rather dull and unchanging from performance to performance.

As for your "criticism", I would appreciate something far more specific because right now, you remind me of the obnoxious Harvey Karten who had a fit about my writing when I first started out in the Online Film Critics Society. He never could provide examples of his problems, he just made general statements (like you have). Whereas others who read my writing thought it needed tweaking but was never as awful as Karten led me or them to believe.

Since then, I had one altercation with one of our board members who was speaking ill of "lesser" critics that wrote in more populist terms and I pointed out that my style was decidedly populist b/c I didn't enjoy being overly obtuse and wanted more people to be able to read and enjoy my writing. He was very quick to point out that he actually liked my style despite my belief that, b/c of Harvey's very negative attack on my work, my writing wasn't that good and would be comparable to what I read in these others' works.

But I have never said I wasn't interested in changing. Matter of fact, when Harvey created his little mentorship program a long time ago, I readily joined and got some good advice from those authors he thought were "better". So, believe me when I say that I do strive to improve and I really think that my work has improved over time. I can look back at stuff I wrote three or four years ago and grimace at some of it. Magilla's been editing my reviews, so he'd probably have a better idea of my improvements over time, but I don't appreciate my work being so reductively attacked, especially when you go out of your way to insult me when you say you're willing to help (citing one spelling error as some grand justification of your opinions).
Wesley Lovell
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I don't enjoy insulting people, contrary to popular belief. I tend to be blunt. I was annoyed that you spoiled a bit of the film, so I thought I'd be honest with you and let you know that I avoid your reviews because, well frankly, I don't enjoy your writing style. I find it repetitive, obvious, unengaging, pedantic and simple even when it dips into the overly-loquacious.

Certain posters could write three pages on the mechanics of flushing a toilet and I'd read it just because I find their writing well-wrought, provocative and engaging.

If you really feel like having a piece of your writing diagrammed, maybe I can do that for you some other time. For the time being, I will point out that you spelled "cite" incorrectly below.

Also, I have no clue where this "elitist" stuff is coming from, but you seem to be trying to drive that point home.

Edited By flipp525 on 1230571721
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Please. Cite some examples because all you're coming off as is a jerk, but that's not new for you recently. Of course who knows when the last time you read anything I wrote was, but I'd like to know because quite frankly, I get tired of receiving non-constructive criticism. I think you just enjoy insulting people and thus why you are only capable of criticizing and never justifying.

Edited By OscarGuy on 1230571070
Wesley Lovell
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Is "elitist" a synonym for "good"?

Edited By flipp525 on 1230569814

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Which is a way of saying it's not elitist enough for you.
Wesley Lovell
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

OscarGuy wrote:Not elitist enough for you?
No, just a pedestrian and rather obvious style of writing.

abcinyvr
Graduate

Post by abcinyvr »

Penelope wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:And I'm quite the opposite. I've seen Rourke in Wrestler and the trailer for JCVD looks awful. I'm sure anything more than mediocre would be a surprise for him.

...JCVD looks to be very different--a meta-narrative that has the action of Jean-Claude's previous films combined with a deeper examination of (his) character.

The action in JCVD is limited to an on-set scene at the beginning of the film where he is making an action/martial arts movie. The film itself has a processed look to it and is almost mono-chromatic. It's a little bit difficult to get used to. I have not seen the trailer but I was very interested anyway.

Has no one on this board seen it?! I saw it on Nov. 14 and it is still playing here in Vancouver. It got a big push from the Film Festival where it sold out it's three screenings. So perhaps the word-of-mouth has kept it around? As I say, I liked it, but I expect The Wrestler to be superior. Van Damme is not a potential nominee for anything but Belgium's film awards, if they have any.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Not elitist enough for you?
Wesley Lovell
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

OscarGuy wrote:But it's nice to know that you have such a low opinion of me that you won't even read my criticism.
Not you as a person, just your writing style. It's not my cup of tea.

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

it's no in my actual review like that, at least I don't think it is. But it's nice to know that you have such a low opinion of me that you won't even read my criticism.
Wesley Lovell

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”