Toronto Film Critics Association

flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

OscarGuy wrote:And, I was not expecting the ending that I got.
Ugh. I hate this type of review. Now I'm going to be expecting something "shocking" at the end of film. Stick to providing us a link to your reviews that I can simply avoid.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

The Wrestler is nothing without Rourke's performance. And Rourke's performance would be nothing without his personal history and career trajectory. It's a confluence of all those ingredients, but in no way to be mistaken for a great film.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The film is certainly a bit pretentious at times, but Mickey Rourke's performance gives the film a far more resonating element. The plot may seem pretentious at first, but it's a fairly consuming narrative. And, I was not expecting the ending that I got. To each his own, but I think The Wrestler is easily one of the year's best films...of the ones I've seen so far.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

OscarGuy wrote:And I'm quite the opposite. I've seen Rourke in Wrestler and the trailer for JCVD looks awful. I'm sure anything more than mediocre would be a surprise for him.
Really? The Wrestler looks--to me--like practically every other pretentious indie flick that has appeared in the last 15 years. JCVD looks to be very different--a meta-narrative that has the action of Jean-Claude's previous films combined with a deeper examination of (his) character.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Van Damme's not getting a nomination.

And I'm quite the opposite. I've seen Rourke in Wrestler and the trailer for JCVD looks awful. I'm sure anything more than mediocre would be a surprise for him.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

Penelope wrote:
abcinyvr wrote:I was quite impressed with his perfomance actually. Playing himself, without the martial arts storyline, he showed genuine emotion. Don't dismiss the preformance without having seen the film.

True. I've read some really great things about Van Damme's performance, even that he's better than Mickey Rourke in The Wrestler. Having seen the trailer for both films, I'm actually more interested in the Van Damme flick.
Could Van Damme be surprise, out-of-nowhere Best Actor nominee? How much of a shock would that be?
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

abcinyvr wrote:I was quite impressed with his perfomance actually. Playing himself, without the martial arts storyline, he showed genuine emotion. Don't dismiss the preformance without having seen the film.
True. I've read some really great things about Van Damme's performance, even that he's better than Mickey Rourke in The Wrestler. Having seen the trailer for both films, I'm actually more interested in the Van Damme flick.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
abcinyvr
Graduate

Post by abcinyvr »

I was quite impressed with his perfomance actually. Playing himself, without the martial arts storyline, he showed genuine emotion. Don't dismiss the preformance without having seen the film.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

I had the same reaction. It was wierd that he would be 3rd, ahead of Frank Langella or Clint Eastwood.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

Jean-Claude Van fucking Damme?
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

A girl and her dog, a broken-down gladiator and a fractured American family were the big winners at the 2008 awards of the Toronto Film Critics Association, it was announced today.

Kelly Reichardt’s Wendy and Lucy, starring Michelle Williams as a young woman whose life is turned upside-down when her car dies in Oregon, was named the year’s Best Picture. Williams was named Best Actress for her performance in the film.

Jonathan Demme’s ensemble drama Rachel Getting Married took three of the Association’s twelve awards. Demme was named Best Director; Jenny Lumet was honored with the Best Screenplay award; and Rosemarie DeWitt was named Best Supporting Actress.

Mickey Rourke won the Best Actor award for his role as an aging professional wrestler facing the end of his career in The Wrestler. The late Heath Ledger was named Best Supporting Actor for his performance as the Joker in The Dark Knight.

Andrew Stanton’s WALL*E took the Best Animated Feature prize; Man on Wire, James Marsh’s recounting of Philip Petit’s 1974 tightrope walk between the twin towers of the World Trade Center, was named Best Documentary Feature.

Lance Hammer’s Ballast, about three people trying to overcome tragedy on the Mississippi Delta, was named Best First Feature. Tomas Alfredson’s Swedish vampire drama Let the Right One In won the Best Foreign-Language Film prize.

“Toronto is home to a remarkably diverse and astute community of film critics,” said TFCA President Brian D. Johnson. “And our members have distinguished themselves with a unique list of awards that recognize passionate, breakout performances and films of exemplary vision and audacity.”

The 2008 TFCA Awards will be presented at a gala dinner in Toronto on January 6, 2009, hosted by Cameron Bailey, co-director of the Toronto International Film Festival. There the TFCA will also name the winner of the new Rogers Best Canadian Film Award, which carries a $10,000 cash prize. The three pictures nominated are: Continental: A Film Without Guns, directed by Stéphane Lafleur; My Winnipeg, directed by Guy Maddin; and Up the Yangtze, directed by Yung Chang. The prize will be presented by filmmaker Sarah Polley, whose Away From Her was voted Best Canadian Film by the TFCA in 2007.

Under the TFCA’s new guidelines, contenders eligible for the awards include films released in Canada in 2008 plus films that qualify for the 2008 Oscars and have Canadian distribution scheduled by the end of February, 2009.

The complete list of winners and runners-up follows.

http://www.oscarguy.com/Oscars/Annual/81st/Precursors.html#TFCA

Edited By OscarGuy on 1229568432
Wesley Lovell

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”