Jean Hershholt Humanitarian Award

Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Oh, well then bring on the protests.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Eric, it's MD - muscular dystrophy, not MS - multiple schlerosis. They're two different things.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Damien wrote:Reportedly, a grassroot protest against Lewis's award because of anti-gay comments (actually, an old man's jokes)is already percolating.
Helping kids with MS is more important than tending to gays' easily-hurt feelings.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Reportedly, a grassroot protest against Lewis's award because of anti-gay comments (actually, an old man's jokes)is already percolating.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I believe it was Hal Roach who most of the maroons in attendance had never heard of.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

rain Bard wrote:And the last who directed a silent-era film.
That reminds me of one of my favorite Oscar moments. Billy Crystal had the audience recognize someone who was celebrating his 100th birthday that night. The audio went down for a moment; and, Crystal responded that that was appropriate becuase he got his start in silent films.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Damien wrote:
anonymous wrote:
Damien wrote:I hope the Award is presented by Mickey Rooney. It would be awesome to see two certifiably insane people on stage at the same time.

I hate to go off-topic but what did Mickey Rooney do to qualify as being 'certifiably insane'?

Haven't you ever seen him interviewed?
Nope. I'll look them up in youtube later.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

OscarGuy wrote:What this means is that 3/4 of the board either had to approve Lewis as a second Testimonial winner or they have to vote 3/4 to select an Honorary Oscar recipient to go along. If they didn't, then there won't be an Honorary Oscar going out this year and Lewis gets to be the only Testimonial winner...
What a stupid rule of the Academy. Will it kill them to honor another actor with an honorary award?
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

And the last who directed a silent-era film. I saw it earlier this year- a short poetic documentary on the river Doura, reminiscent of Joris Ivens' work at the time.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

AMPAS should really give the Honorary Oscar to Manoel de Oliveira, who turns 100 today and is the oldest living director still actively working.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

What this means is that 3/4 of the board either had to approve Lewis as a second Testimonial winner or they have to vote 3/4 to select an Honorary Oscar recipient to go along. If they didn't, then there won't be an Honorary Oscar going out this year and Lewis gets to be the only Testimonial winner...
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

I, for one, am glad to see him finally get this award. I've said in the past that he deserves to get the Hersholt award, so I'm not really very surprised by this. Maybe you don't like his politics (or his opinions on homosexuality, in particular), but the guy has devoted so much of his time, effort, money, and life to raising money for muscular dystrophy research. There are so many people in the world whose lives are better because of him.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

anonymous wrote:
Damien wrote:I hope the Award is presented by Mickey Rooney. It would be awesome to see two certifiably insane people on stage at the same time.

I hate to go off-topic but what did Mickey Rooney do to qualify as being 'certifiably insane'?
Haven't you ever seen him interviewed?
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

I hope the Award is presented by Mickey Rooney. It would be awesome to see two certifiably insane people on stage at the same time.

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”