Last Seen Movie - The Latest Movie You Have Seen; ratings

dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

The Day the Earth Stood Still (2008)

5.5/10
Keanu Reeves was a good choice, but overall the film isn't that good.
barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

Slumdog Millionaire 8/10
Milk 9/10
"Jesus! Look at my hands! Now really, I am too young for liver spots. Maybe I can merge them together into a tan."
barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

11th Hour

3/10
"Jesus! Look at my hands! Now really, I am too young for liver spots. Maybe I can merge them together into a tan."
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

Gomorra - 4/10

I can't get all the fuss about this movie. Il Divo is much better IMO.

Edited By Cinemanolis on 1229073800
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I hate 'Art School Confidential'. How is this the same unapologetically sharp filmmaker as the man behind 'Bad Santa', 'Crumb', and 'Ghost World'.
"How's the despair?"
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

The Pride of the Yankees (1942) 6/10
A little flat overall and Gary Cooper doesn't do it for me. Loved the footage filmed in the old ballyards and of course I cried just anticipating the farewell scene.

Art School Confidential (2006) 4/10
Such a disappointment from Zwigoff. Silly. Dumb. Max Minghella has a beautiful face, though.

The Bells of St. Mary's (1945) 9/10
One of the fun things about the holiday season is that they show this movie a lot. Just beautiful. The scene with Ingrid Bergman teaching that kid to box is pure delight.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Mamma Mia! - 7/10

Silly but infectious. Better than it has any right to be considering it has no real plot and is fueled by songs that mostly sound alike although they are put over with gusto by an energized cast, most of whom, Pierce Brosnan excepted, really can sing and dance. The easy on the eyes Greek island locations help as well.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Milk (2008; Gus Van Sant) 9/10
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I must've missed that. Not that I'll go back to watch it again anytime soon.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

FWIW, of the five captains, there was one female, Captain Fee, in WALL.E.
abcinyvr
Graduate

Post by abcinyvr »

Frozen River 6/10
Just caught this before it left town forever. It took me half the film to remember that it was 21 Grams that I remembered Melissa Leo from. She is equally good here. This seemed to me to be very much a Canadian film - don't know where it was filmed. And as a result I felt like I had seen, and enjoyed before.
abcinyvr
Graduate

Post by abcinyvr »

Cinemanolis wrote:Fugitive Pieces 6/10
A'difficult' film to sit through, with good performances. Stephen Dillane is such a wonderful actor. I wish we would see him in more films.
Good to know that someone other than me has seen this. I was expecting 6/10 and was incredibly moved and surprised by it. Just about the best film I saw last year.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

But you have to look at all films a bit more deeper, and here's where the flick falls to pieces--its cloying sentimentality (no wonder the robots love Jerry Herman) and its sexist/patriarchal view of society (Eva doesn't become "enlightened" until she meets a man; 700 years in space and NEVER a woman captain?) is kind of repulsive.

Um, really?
"How's the despair?"
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

Frost/Nixon 8/10

Very good performances. I actually prefered Michael Sheen to Frank Laghella. The supporting cast was impressive too: Kevin Bacon, Sam Rockwell and Rebecca Hall were all superb. I don't see this film as a Best Picture, or Best Director contender, as i suspect that it won't receive enough No 1,2 or 3 ranks in the ballots of the Academy members. A lot of people will like it, but not enough will love it. Is there any chance Michael Sheen shows up in the Globes nominations tomorrow?

Edited By Cinemanolis on 1228953405
barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

The Omen (1976)
9.5/10

Return to “Other Film Discussions”