Swinton Gives Oscar Away

Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

OscarGuy wrote:There's a joke there that I don't think I'm going to make...though, I bet Flipp and Pen know what I'm thinking. ;)
One word, three letters, right?
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

There's a joke there that I don't think I'm going to make...though, I bet Flipp and Pen know what I'm thinking. ;)
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

I wonder where does Alan Menken keep his Oscars..
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Swinton´s statement makes her even more adorable. She´s honest, she´s smart. She´s far away from rush and from hysteria. She just focuses on acting.What else can we expect?
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I'm pretty sure Emma Thompson keeps one of hers in the bathroom.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

Big Magilla wrote: Some even keep them in the bathroom.
Elia Kazan used to keep one of his Oscars in his bathroom. He had it behind his bathroom door in order to prevent the door from hitting on the bathroom wall.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Yeah, I have to say that giving one's Oscar to one's agent doesn't strike me as anything remotely disrespectful.

I mean, if she had thrown it AWAY...okay. But to give it to someone who had a big hand in your success seems like a nice gesture.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Precious Doll wrote:I can't help feeling that Derek Jarman must be rolling in his grave over most of the films she has been over the last 8 years or so. They are a far cry from the work she did with him.

There's something a little bit presumptuous in assuming what Jarman would have felt, isn't there? We all tend to be transfixed on some kind of ideal perceptions. Artistic stature we value must go along with coherent political agenda (meaning ours), impeccable taste in everything from fashion to spouses. Well, over the years I was puzzled to find that highbrowed intellectuals, had they had the chance, would rather watch football, or that a militant feminist was a sucker for soap operas. And there is actually something quite refreshing about it. I have no idea what Jarman did in his spare time and what he liked or didn't like. Hopefully he was able, at least to some extent, not to always be a real life martyr. It's inevitable to picture him as a reflection of his films, but it's also simplistic. And it might be a case of projecting on him our own snobbery. As for Swinton, she always strikes me as someone who's too cool to make this kind of distinction, while being able to keep her integrity in whatever she does, from Orlando and Edward II to Michael Clayton.

Edited By Uri on 1221685514
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

I'm not surprised at all. As Magilla said many stars do just that.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Anna Paquin keeps hers in the closet.

I read somewhere Woody Allen gave his Oscars to his mom.

Edited By anonymous on 1221665845
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Much ado about nothing. People give away their Oscars all the time. Jimmy Stewart's dad displayed Stewart's in his pharmacy window. I believe Meryl Streep's mother has hers. Katharine Hepburn never knew where hers were. Others use them as doorstops. Some even keep them in the bathroom.

The statue is just a symbol. Swinton didn't reject the award. of course she'll be back next year.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Last edited by flipp525 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

That's what she said she was going to do in her acceptance speech so this should be no surprise.

I wonder if she'll come back to present next year.
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

You're right that those films/roles are nothing a typical good actress should be ashamed of. However, in light of the kind of singular, defiant work she once made with Jarman and a few others, Precious Doll's point stands. Her career has certainly changed. Whether it's a positive evolution or a walk down the path to "sell-out" is up for debate. But it's hard to imagine Jarman himself not falling closer to the latter camp, were he still around.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I don't think that's necessarily true. She was inspired casting for the White Witch in Narnia; her performance in The Deep End should've landed her first nod; and her Oscar-winning turn in Michael Clayton (which was itself a throw-back to the bygone era of 70's character-driven pieces) was very complex -- frightening at turns and deeply insecure within a moment's notice. She was equally superb in last year's Stephanie Daley as well. I actually think that her career has evolved rather nicely.

Even her work in the otherwise forgettable Broken Flowers was a standout, elevating the film to something great when she was onscreen. Her brief role in Adaptation was great.

Edited By flipp525 on 1221662951
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”