R.I.P. Richard Wright

For discussions of subjects relating to literature and theater.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Damien wrote:Every time I see this thread heading, I still immediately think it's referring to the author of Black Boy and Native Son, although he died in 1960.
ME TOO!!!
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Every time I see this thread heading, I still immediately think it's referring to the author of Black Boy and Native Son, although he died in 1960.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Franz Ferdinand wrote:the band was bigger than its members
When I wear my Floyd tees I still get people that say "Pink Floyd, I like him." I always have to be a douche and correct them.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

Agree with High Hopes, even as a young kid I could appreciate the song's epic scope and atmosphere. What is obvious with Wright's death is that the band was bigger than its members. Gilmour v. Waters is a great little battle, but it can't mess with the legacy PINK FLOYD left behind, and though we may have preferences in the battle, we can all agree on the band's output.

It also got me thinking that Pink Floyd is already so thoroughly mythologized and revered that the members' inevitable passing will do little to advance or diminish the band's legacy. They are set in stone as legends, and the passing of time will do little to alter that; we can only look back on the individuals' lives with smiles on their contributions and carry on listening to the music as we have for decades already.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

At least we agree Pink Floyd is damned good. Right now Wright's playing that Great Gig in the Sky
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

Zahveed wrote:
jack wrote:I actually don't have a problem with Waters. I just think he had a cheak to assume that Pink Floyd would be no more without him. He has admited that it was wrong of him to think that. Insisting that the name Pink Floyd is associated with him and him alone.

You did have to laugh, though, during their Live 8 performance. After Comfortably Numb, Waters had this look on his face as though to say, 'Hey, I'm back...'. Gilmore has stated that Pink Floyd are no more... Gilmore's still a god, though.

So, to answer your question, Zahveed, I kinda like David Gilmore more.

I'm listening to The Wall right now.....

Well, he was saying that with two of the four original members out (Waters and Barret) and one that joined later on in the lead (Gilmour) that is isn't Pink Floyd anymore and that no one should use band name anymore. I agreed on Waters part despite him being a notorious prick, after he left the songwriting suffered severely. Momentary Lapse of Reason and Division Bell are their two worst albums while all of the Waters era tend to be considered their best (Dark Side of the Moon through The Final Cut). The Wall and Final Cut is essentially Waters with Gilmour contributing to solos and a few of the radio-friendly tracks. It's hard to fit so much ego into one band, which is what inspired The Wall to begin with.

I prefer Waters.
I couldn't dissagree more.

What has Waters done since? The last can remember is that he penned the lyrics to a song from The Last Mimzy. If Waters gave Pink Floyd ego, then Gilmore have it heart.

The Division Bell is one hell of an album for the band to go out on. The last track, High Hopes, is one of the finest Floyd songs ever. Gilmore and Waters songwriting partnership is one if the finest. I'd even say better than Lennon/McCatney. But Waters always considered himself to be Pink Floyd. Everyone else was just window dressing.

Zahveed, you said yourself that he was a prick. And he was. A collosal prick. There's a fantastic BBC doc called 'Which One's Pink?' and the great thing about it is that it doesn't attempt to answer that question. It doesn't need an answer. The answer is Pink Floyd. Back in the 70s most folk would be hard-pushed to name the members of the band, they only knew that they were gods of music. Roger Waters let all that crap go to his head.

Syd Barrett founded the band, and the man would have been spinning his grave if he knew of the shit that Waters as pulling...

I love Pink Floyd, and for all that he's done for the band and for music, I love Roger Waters. But I still hate him. I hate that he had the gaul to assume that the greatest band is Brittish history (yes, you read correctly) would end with him. How dare the man...

Lets you and I, Zahveed, go out on a good note and play 'Shine On You Crazy Diamond' for the late, great, never to be equaled Richard Wright.

...God can only help me when David Gilmore passes...
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

jack wrote:I actually don't have a problem with Waters. I just think he had a cheak to assume that Pink Floyd would be no more without him. He has admited that it was wrong of him to think that. Insisting that the name Pink Floyd is associated with him and him alone.

You did have to laugh, though, during their Live 8 performance. After Comfortably Numb, Waters had this look on his face as though to say, 'Hey, I'm back...'. Gilmore has stated that Pink Floyd are no more... Gilmore's still a god, though.

Well, he was saying that with two of the four original members out (Waters and Barret) and one that joined later on in the lead (Gilmour) that is isn't Pink Floyd anymore and that no one should use band name anymore. I agreed on Waters part despite him being a notorious prick, after he left the songwriting suffered severely. Momentary Lapse of Reason and Division Bell are their two worst albums while all of the Waters era tend to be considered their best (Dark Side of the Moon through The Final Cut). The Wall and Final Cut is essentially Waters with Gilmour contributing to solos and a few of the radio-friendly tracks. It's hard to fit so much ego into one band, which is what inspired The Wall to begin with.

I prefer Waters.
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

Zahveed wrote:
jack wrote:(deservedly absent) Roger Waters

Who do you prefer, Gilmour or Waters?

Do you even have to ask that question?

I actually don't have a problem with Waters. I just think he had a cheak to assume that Pink Floyd would be no more without him. He has admited that it was wrong of him to think that. Insisting that the name Pink Floyd is associated with him and him alone.

Edited By jack on 1221519819
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

jack wrote:(deservedly absent) Roger Waters
Who do you prefer, Gilmour or Waters?
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

I can't believe this.

Pink Floyd is my favourite band. Wright had been touring with David Gilmour on his solo tours along with Nick Mason. I saw them play a while back in the Albert Hall.

I'll never forget watching Gilmore, Wright, Mason and the long absent (deservedly absent) Roger Waters at the end of Live 8 a few years ago. I had tears in my eyes has they played Wish You Were Here.

I'm devested right now.....

Edited By jack on 1221519859
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

This is sad news indeed. Pink Floyd is one of my favorite bands and I've always enjoyed Wright's haunting soundscapes.
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

R.I.P.

And just a couple of years after Syd Barrett. The Pink Floyd family just got a little smaller. It's funny how the article didn't even mention him as a founding member.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Pink Floyd member Richard Wright dies at age 65

9 minutes ago

LONDON - A Pink Floyd spokesman says founding member Richard Wright has died. He was 65.
ADVERTISEMENT

Wright died Monday after a battle with cancer at his home in Britain. His family did not want to give more details about his death. The spokesman is Doug Wright, who is not related to the artist.

Richard Wright met Pink Floyd members Roger Waters and Nick Mason at college and joined their early band Sigma 6.

Sigma 6 eventually became Pink Floyd and Wright wrote and sang some of the band's key songs. He wrote "The Great Gig In The Sky" and "Us And Them" from Pink Floyd's 1973 "The Dark Side Of The Moon."

He left the group in the early 1980s to form his own band but rejoined Pink Floyd for their 1987 album "A Momentary Lapse of Reason."
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “The Cam Dagg Memorial Theatre and Literature Forum”