Rebecca

For discussions of subjects relating to literature and theater.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Yes, as I mentioned elsewhere, I'm still impatiently waiting for the all-singing, all-dancing stage productions of Airport 1975 or Airport '77.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Well, a few years back there was a (not very successful) musical version of Jane Eyre, the book which was the inspiration for Rebecca.

And if there can be a musical version of What Ever Happened To Baby Jane, then I suppose all bets are off.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I imagine it's more like Les Miserables than The Sound of Music. :O
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Wow...how do you turn this story into a musical? It just seems odd...

And, apparently, the Misery stage adaptation is coming to our local little theater...
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Internationally Popular Musical 'Rebecca' Will Come to Broadway

Kenneth Jones Playbill On-Line Mon Sep 8, 5:11 PM ET

The signing took place in front of the sold-out, re-opening night audience for Rebecca following the performance with Sprecher, Forlenza, VBW artistic director Kathrin Zechner and manager Thomas Drozda.

The musical is based on the classic Daphne Du Maurier novel (later turned into an Oscar-winning film by Alfred Hitchcock) and features book and lyrics by Michael Kunze, music by Sylvester Levay, and direction by Francesca Zambello, director of Broadway's The Little Mermaid and the new musical Little House on the Prairie at the Guthrie Theatre in Minneapolis. She'll also direct First Wives Club in summer 2009 at The Old Globe in San Diego.

Rebecca had its world premiere in 2006 at Vereinigte Buhnen Wien in Vienna, where it has played to sold-out houses, totaling more than 406,000 people. The musical is also currently playing in Tokyo and will open in Berlin and Helsinki in the next several months.

Return to “The Cam Dagg Memorial Theatre and Literature Forum”