Dining Out in New York City

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I never had that kind of experience in NYC, Greg, but I have in California. The custom usually is to subtract the approximate weight of the containers from the total.

The convention organizers should have had a catered lunch served to you free of charge.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

A few years back I attended a convention of the American Chemical Society at the Jacob Javits Convention Center. When I got lunch there, I found it unusual that they would dish out the food in a styrofoam container, weigh the container; and, charge me by the ounce. Is this typical for NYC?

I almost wanted to ask that they weigh the container first, add the food; and, subtact the weight of the food with the contanier from the weight of the container. I didn't want to spend lunch money for styrofoam; however, I figured I would make myself way too annoying to save a few pennies.

Also, something about the architecture of the Javits Convention Center struck as less than attractive. Do any of our New Yorkers have thoughts on this?
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

To top off a fine, rainy day in Manhattan that began with an explosive three and a half hours spent in the Music Box Theater watching the astounding Estelle Parsons in "August: Osage County" (more on that in another thread), we freshened up, had some pre-dinner drinks at Jadis and then headed out to a lovely restaurant for dinner.

If you're in Manhattan and are looking for a great place for dinner on a Saturday night, I highly recommend you reserve yourselves a table at Freemans. Nestled in a charming, yet non-descript, side alley on the Lower East Side, the décor is rugged American (taxidermy abounds) mixed with shabby chic. An unpretentious and inviting atmosphere. The food is high-end American cuisine that is exceptional and reasonably priced with a menu that features a variety of original creations. The fried chicken I had was deliciously seasoned and tasted immaculate. I actually felt like I was eating fried chicken for the first time. The artichoke dip appetizer was also quite good. Wine flows copiously and the wait staff is accommodating, fun and good-looking (predominantly male). Don't mind the flirting.

Also don't be discouraged by the completely bitchy hostess (a light-skinned Boho black woman) who works on Saturdays. Once you get past her, the rest of the night is something of a dream.

Freemans
End of Freeman Alley, New York, NY, 10002
nr. Rivington St.
(212) 420-0012

Edited By flipp525 on 1220900645
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Return to “General Off-Topic”