Hasbro destroying "Clue"

Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Penelope wrote:
Zahveed wrote:
Penelope wrote:I don't mind them updating the weapons--why a trophy, though? The axe is such a better weapon to kill people with.

What better irony than to kill the former football player with his own trophy?

Yes, but the football player is one of the suspects, not the victim; so the trophy makes sense as either HIS weapon, or a weapon used by one of the other suspects to frame him.
Good point. Though, they should just making a fighting game of Clue for Xbox 360 or PS3. And then you find out at the end that Plum was the creator of the game.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Penelope wrote:According to Wikipedia, the British version of the game is getting an axe and a bat (baseball or cricket? doesn't say, but I assume the latter) instead of the American trophy and poison.
Odd since poison is the weapon of choice in so many British mysteries.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Zahveed wrote:
Penelope wrote:I don't mind them updating the weapons--why a trophy, though? The axe is such a better weapon to kill people with.

Yes, but the football player is one of the suspects, not the victim; so the trophy makes sense as either HIS weapon, or a weapon used by one of the other suspects to frame him.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

According to Wikipedia, the British version of the game is getting an axe and a bat (baseball or cricket? doesn't say, but I assume the latter) instead of the American trophy and poison. I don't mind them updating the weapons--why a trophy, though? The axe is such a better weapon to kill people with.

Edited By Penelope on 1219254363
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Or Monopoly has players buying up Skid Row homes and making strip malls out of them.

They let people use L33t sp34k in Scrabble as legal words

Operation turns into a plastic surgery game

They already fucked up Life, so there's nothing really funny left for it...

I could understand removing lead pipe since lead isn't heavily manufactured these days, but why would they remove the revolver and the wrench? The former is certainly as effective a murder weapon as ever... And do that many mansions really have theaters in them?
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

I can't wait for the new Candyland where Princess Lolly is a prostitute and Mr. Mint sells cocaine.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Professor Plum has, quite obviously, always been a gay character.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Hopefully, the "new" Clue will tank and they'll bring back Classic Clue.

cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

The new Clue may be a clue as to how the future is going to pan out. I know there are several versions of Monopoly, but they better not fuck with the original!
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

As soon as I find software to create an online petition, I'm going to put one together to protest this. I mean, there have been lots of versions over the past several years, but it was always under a different name or subtitle. Now, they are actually tampering with the base game. At least with the past incarnations, there was always the classic game being produced, but this ends that and that's why I'm upset.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Mmm, taste like New Coke.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

New Versions are one thing but when you tamper with the original, you lose a lifelong fan.

Fuck you, Hasbro!
Wesley Lovell
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Goodbye Col. Mustard: 'Clue' goes tabloid
Hasbro gives classic detective game new characters, weapons and rooms
The Associated Press
updated 3:22 p.m. ET, Thurs., Aug. 14, 2008

Goodbye, professor. Farewell, colonel.

Toy maker Hasbro Inc. has updated its classic Clue game for today's tabloid culture to include younger characters, more weapons, and new rooms, including a spa and guest house.

The six characters' last names remain the same, but their first names and bios have been updated. For example, Miss Scarlet is now Kasandra Scarlet, a famous actress often featured in tabloids. And Mr. Green is now Jacob Green, an African-American "with all the ins."

Colonel Mustard is now Jack Mustard, a former football player. The professor? Now Victor Plum, a billionaire video game designer.

Each character — rounded out by Eleanor Peacock and Diane White — also now has a special power that could help players discover clues more quickly. New “intrigue” and “clock” cards add clues and can eliminate players in the latest version of the game.

Hasbro has also lengthened the weapons list from six to nine. The candlestick, knife and rope remain, but now weapons choices include a dumbbell, trophy or poison. The lead pipe, revolver and wrench are no longer part of the game.

Meanwhile, new rooms include a theater, spa and guest house nearby.

Pawtucket, R.I.-based Hasbro has previously updated Clue — first created in 1949 — with an express version and a Simpsons version, but the new incarnation will be a replacement for the original version of Clue currently on store shelves.

It will be available nationwide beginning in the fall, for about $15.99.

Return to “General Off-Topic”