Happy Birthday, Italiano

Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Penelope wrote:
Hustler wrote:Have you ever been to Argentina?

If you're asking me, I'm afraid not--I've never been to any South American country, or even to Mexico, Central America or the Carribbean nations (the furthest south I've been is Key West--which reminds me, the drive from Key Largo to Key West is spectacular; too bad Key West itself is such a disappointment). I would very much like to visit these places someday!

Outside of the U.S., I've been to: Canada, Japan, the U.K., France, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Austria, Spain and Turkey (although I spent 12 hours in Milan's airport once, I'm not counting that as visiting Italy!).

It´s been said that Mexico is spectacular because I´ve never been there.

Edited By Hustler on 1218900084
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Hustler wrote:Have you ever been to Argentina?
If you're asking me, I'm afraid not--I've never been to any South American country, or even to Mexico, Central America or the Carribbean nations (the furthest south I've been is Key West--which reminds me, the drive from Key Largo to Key West is spectacular; too bad Key West itself is such a disappointment). I would very much like to visit these places someday!

Outside of the U.S., I've been to: Canada, Japan, the U.K., France, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Austria, Spain and Turkey (although I spent 12 hours in Milan's airport once, I'm not counting that as visiting Italy!).
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Have you ever been to Argentina?
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I've been to every state in the U.S. except Hawaii, Connecticut and Rhode Island. My favorite destinations:

The Grand Canyon, Arizona: simply breathtaking; I was there in February, and the ridges and crannies of the canyon were covered with snow, and under a full moon--it was just dazzling....

Northern Wisconsin and the UP of Michigan: pine trees and lakes, endless miles of pine trees and lakes, and the occasional Peyton Place-esque small town.

Chicago, Illinois: in my humble opinion, the most beautiful city in the U.S.

The Rocky Mountains, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado: America's natural cathedrals, and winding among them on the highways and byways is an unforgettable experience.

Glaciers and fjords of Alaska: simply awe-inspiring.

The beaches of Florida: the best in the U.S.

Boston, Massachusetts: the second most beautiful city in the U.S., filled with fascinating history, and easily walked.

San Francisco, California: the third most beautiful city in the U.S.--there's still the reason Hitchcock loved it.

The coast of Oregon: the mountains and trees tumble right into the Pacific.

Puget Sound, Washington: sailing across at night, with Seattle and Mt. Ranier behind you...awesome.

West Virginia: find a lonely two-lane road that bisects the state and prepare for some of the most exquisite scenery you've ever seen.

American history is, of course, more recent than the rest of the world, but there are still Revolutionary War sites, Civil War sites, etc., to be experienced, though many are feeling the pinch of encroaching modernity. I say see them while you still can!
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Johnny Guitar wrote:But he won't move mountains ...
I guess he won't, no. But it will be a refreshing change of image at least, and as you know, the US need it.

You know that I'm not exactly America's number 1 fan. Still I think that a trip to the US IS an interesting experience - it was for me the first time I went there at 17, and for example it was for my parents when they visited New York for the first time (though it wasnt their first time in the US) a few months ago. Definitely an experience that anyone should make once in his or her life. It's true that those into history will find more rewarding destinations around the world, and I must admit that right now I am looking for more challenging experiences (because of its cinema and television, America is probably the most accessible, culturally accessible I mean, place to visit). Still it is, let's face it, one of the most important countries in the world, economically, politically and for a very short but intense time (the time of Hemingway, Faulkner, Steinbeck, O'Neill, Fitzgerald etc), culturally too. So, while I must be honest and say that there are certainly more beautiful countries to see, going to the US is, for a foreigner, an often unforgettable experience. Not a surprising one - we know too much about it - but thrilling nonetheless (the big cities especially), and the American way of life, which for you is absolutely normal, for us is something extremely interesting, and sometimes funny, and often scary, to watch.

Also, I've noticed that those who go to America prepared to hate it, end up by hating it, and those who expect to love it, come back loving it even more. What's reassuring about America is that it confirms our expectations, it doesn't shatter them.
Johnny Guitar
Assistant

Post by Johnny Guitar »

Marco, unfortunately, there's less and less in the US that is worth seeing at all. There is a lot of beautiful land, of course, but it's not exactly thriving. And anywhere were the American populace seems to congregate in large groups, society appears to be self-hating if not suicidal, for the sheer monstrosity that marks so many cities, towns, and suburbs in America. True, it is encouraging to hear about places like Eureka Springs, which OG mentioned. But so much of the United States looks exactly alike these days--giant, incredibly ugly strip malls and gas stations and billboards and "big box stores," huge commercial districts adjacent to mind-numbing subdivisions, selling pointless products and processed, unnatural food. And then there are of course all of the impoverished areas, which are infuriating to see.

Maybe the US will be easier, and more attractive, for foreign travelers in 2009. Barring certain unforeseen and major events, Obama will definitely be our next president, and he will make about as good a president as can be expected in the US. But he won't move mountains ...
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Welcome back among us :)

I used to go to the United States quite often in the past. Now I realize that it's a lifetime that I don't go there. My last time was in New York - I was there for ten days in winter, and I remember that during those days the Oscar nominations were announced (it was the English Patient year, so long ago). I had never been in New York in winter, and of course I loved it. I remember that I went to see, among other films, Sling Blade, in a small but interesting cinema which seemed to be mainly devoted to "art" movies - who knows if it still exists. Anyway, then Bush, his politics (Oscar Guy is right about this)... I simply stopped going there. But I'm sure that one day I will visit your country again. Especially if - as Europe is eagerly awaiting (according to a poll, 85% of the Europeans would vote for Obama, though I suspect it's partly because most of them don't even know who is the other one) - a certain big change is going to happen finally...
Johnny Guitar
Assistant

Post by Johnny Guitar »

Happy Belated Birthday, Marco!

(I have been out of town myself, travelling--and, OG, it was here within the United States!)
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

flipp525 wrote:Positano, anyone? I died and went to heaven when I set foot there. Gorgeous cliff-side town.

Been there, done that!

Like Damien said, Italy is an amazing country.

And to think I could not hook up with Marco in Italy even though I tried calling him a number of times. Ditto with Damien while in New York (I remember the day we got to NY Bob Hope's death was in the news everywhere).

Edited By Reza on 1218737728
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Everyone always takes excursions to exotic international locations. How many people actually travel to or within the US outside of the major metropolitan areas? Being a rather impoverished guy, I travel very little, but have found some very interesting locations.

For instance, just across the border into Arkansas (a state most of you would consider as a conservative state home to the world HQ of the KKK or at least a major KKK compound), there's a little city called Eureka Springs. Entirely cut into the hillside, it is composed of Victorian era buildings exuding a significant other world charm. It has one a prominent artists community and has a strong gay community (for a town of less than 3,000 people, this is significant) that has one of the few domestic partnership registries in the south and the only one in Arkansas. It features a number of historical buildings, including an old church into which you enter through a door in the bell tower (as it's built into a hillside). It has buildings with entrances on different floors at street level. And, it features one of the haunted places featured in Ghost Hunters. It's a "spa" hotel called the Crescent Hotel which has a macabre past and is said to be haunted.

I know a lot of foreigners reject a visit to the US due to the hostilities of the government and the idiocy of a large portion of the population and those who do visit tend to stick to the cultural centers of the country (New York, LA, SF, Seattle, Chicago, etc). But, I wonder why no international travelers and even several within our own country don't get out to see the smaller historical locations in the country...
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Thank you jack, criddic.

Of course the places you have mentioned are the highlights in Italy - and as such, almost always crowded with tourists. Architectural wonders like Florence or Venice are so amazing that they still triumph over that daily mass invasion, but I admit that it's the smaller, slightly less famous cities I love most - Mantova, Siena, Ferrara, Gubbio, Perugia, Lecce, Noto, Lucca... There you can still find not only the beauty, but even the soul of a country.

Edited By ITALIANO on 1218758967
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Belatedly, Happy Birthday.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Positano, anyone? I died and went to heaven when I set foot there. Gorgeous cliff-side town.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Penelope wrote:Haven't been to Florence, but Istanbul is without question one of the most staggeringly beautiful cities in the world. Everywhere you look, it's just astonishingly breathtaking.
Try to make it a goal to get to Florence at some point -- it's an extraordinarily beautiful and cultured city. The only drawback is that it is overrun tourists -- even when I was there once in December, when other cities of Italy (Venice, Milan -- both definite must-go-tos as well) were fairly empty.

I also suggest going to the beautiful and rather mysterious Sicily -- Taormina may be the single most gorgeous place I've ever seen. Let's face it, Italy is an amazing country.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Haven't been to Florence, but Istanbul is without question one of the most staggeringly beautiful cities in the world. Everywhere you look, it's just astonishingly breathtaking.

Return to “General Off-Topic”