R.I.P. Alexander Solzhenitsyn

For discussions of subjects relating to literature and theater.
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

I read less than I'd like to admit, and I've only read two of Solzhenitsyn's books. One was a collection of short stories, and the other was Cancer Ward, which I think is excellent. I should read more, but I really am a lazy reader... And even when I read, I prefer non-fiction.
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

Wow, how am I only learning of this now?? This man's death should have been headline news around the world!
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Writer Solzhenitsyn Dies
4 August 2008 9:12 AM, PDT

Nobel Prize-winning writer Alexander Solzhenitsyn has died at the age of 89.

The Russian writer passed away on Sunday from heart failure, according to reports.

Solzhenitsyn won the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1970, before being exiled from the Soviet Union for his portrayals of life in the country's labour camps.

He became widely regarded as one of the most influential writers of the 20th century for his efforts since settling in the U.S. in 1974, following the backlash of his narrative The Gulag Archipelago.

Solzhenitsyn is survived by his wife, Natalya, and his three sons, Stepan, Ignat and Yermolai.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “The Cam Dagg Memorial Theatre and Literature Forum”