BBM... An Opera? - It ain't An Inconvenient Truth alone

For discussions of subjects relating to literature and theater.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

How come everything's getting turned into an opera???

From People:

Coming in 2013: Brokeback Mountain the Opera
By Arnesa A. Howell

Originally posted Monday June 09, 2008 12:10 PM EDT
Ledger and Gyllenhaal in Brokeback Mountain

Sing it from the hilltops: the love story of Brokeback Mountain is being revived – as an opera.

The New York City Opera has commissioned American composer Charles Wuorinen to set to music the Oscar-winning film starring Jake Gyllenhaal and the late Heath Ledger.

Based on the short story by Annie Proulx, the opera, like the feature film, will follow the 20-year love affair of two men who fall in love in 1963 Wyoming. Wuorinen has already agreed to compose the opera, set to premier during the City Opera's 2013 spring season.

"Ever since encountering Annie Proulx's extraordinary story I have wanted to make an opera on it, and it gives me great joy that Gerard Mortier and New York City Opera have given me the opportunity to do so," Wuorinen said in a statement, according to Reuters.

The film won three Oscars in 2006 for Best Director, Adapted Screenplay and Original Score, as well as earned Ledger a Best Actor nod for his role as Ennis Del Mar. The film also set the stage for Ledger's real-life romance with costar Michelle Williams.
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)

Return to “The Cam Dagg Memorial Theatre and Literature Forum”