Take This Job And Shove It!

cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Penelope wrote:By the way, I did receive a wonderful piece of news the other day from a former co-worker: asshole boss apparently pissed off too many people, including higher-ups, and was asked to resign "in lieu of termination." Karma is wonderful.
Told ya so!!
\C.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

By the way, I did receive a wonderful piece of news the other day from a former co-worker: asshole boss apparently pissed off too many people, including higher-ups, and was asked to resign "in lieu of termination." Karma is wonderful.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

I am also very close to peace-ing out of my job. Twelve years of crying and worrying and getting unnecessary phone calls, being partially responsible for my divorce, and never feeling secure. After I get my bonus in mid-August, I'm outta there. Fuck 'em.
"Jesus! Look at my hands! Now really, I am too young for liver spots. Maybe I can merge them together into a tan."
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Your AB Knows all the correct rules : when in doubt, lie, and always CYB(Cover your butt). Your manager will remember this, and then he will be gone, baby, gone.

All good things come to he who waits! Well done.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Thanks guys! And you won't believe how it all went down.

After I posted this morning, I spoke to the manager of the department, explaining the incident with asshole boss (AB) and that I felt I could no longer remain with the organization under such conditions. Despite having given them six weeks' notice, they still haven't hired a replacement for my position, which is essentially the nerve center of HR--I was the go-to guy for everything--so the manager (a wonderful woman) begged me to reconsider and think about it.

So I did. And I still felt, naw, I can't do this anymore. So she goes to speak to AB and let him know my decision. AB turns around and accuses me of lying!

At which point, I say to him, in front of the whole office, "I'm sorry, I will not discuss this with you. Your behavior is completely unprofessional." I finished up my work, said goodbye to everybody else and left.

Un-fucking-believable.

So, yeah, I'm going to enjoy Chicago in my remaining time here--I still haven't been to the Aquarium or the Field Museum or the Museum of Science & Industry...plus, there's a great schedule the next two weeks at the Gene Siskel Film Center: Rocco and His Brothers, Death in Venice, Laura, Monsieur Verdoux, Fallen Angel, The Damned, and 4 Months 3 Weeks & 2 Days.

Edited By Penelope on 1214257109
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Sometimes it takes a while for the assholes to realize what they've lost.

To elaborate more on the situtation regarding my replacement lest you think it's merely a case of the new broom sweeping clean, when I left I had five managers reporting directly to me. My new bosses decided after I left that this was too much for one person to handle so three of them were taken away and given to other managers and my replacement was left with two, an Asian male and an Hispanic female both with mroe than thirty years with the company. He somehow convinced his bosses that he needed four managers to do the jobs of these two even though they themselves were perfectly happy with their responsibilities as they were. He then hired a white male and a white female to augment his management team.

The Hispanic female, whose husband's government job was to investigate discrimination claims, began to compalin about being left out of management meetings and other instances of perceived discrimination. After compalining through channels for months and gettign nowhere she decided to throw in the towell and take early retirement when her husband retired. Her responsibilites were then given to the new male manager who promplty quite under the pressure.

Upper management then decided to cut costs and my replacement had to choose between the Asian male manager with more than 35 years experience, and the only one who knew where all the bodies were buried, and his attractive new female hire. Although the process takes in a series of questions relating to competance as well as seniority it can be manipulated, not to say that it was, but oddly enough the attractive new hire was the one left standing. She, too, promply quit under the pressure and now my replacement has no direct managers and is not permitted to hire any.

Oh, and the two long time managers couldn't be happier. The Hispanic female does a lot of traveling. The Asian male, who is a pillar of the Filipino community in Northern California is active in local civic affairs and makes frequent trips to his former homeland.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Good for you, Pen! I'd love to have seen the look on the asshole's face when he realized you were gone.

And now spend the time you would have been at work enjoying some of Chicago's cultural assets one last time before you leave.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Glad to hear you finally rid yourself of the job, Pen...just sorry that you are leaving us here in Chicago:(
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I quit a job because of an asshole boss when I was 19 - one of the smartest things I ever did, but after that I never let bad bosses get to me.

As a "boss" myself for most of my life, I always treated people the way I wanted to be treated and it paid off. At one point I had 150 employees, some of whom were assholes, but most of whom were good people, some of whom even followed me across the country and still call me for advice.

In the job I had for 23 years before retiring I had 14 different bosses, none of whom lasted very long - all of whom had offices in other locations. Some were good, some were bad, but I survived them all.

The guy who took my place has a different style. Some have accused him of being a tight-lipped, non-communicative jerk. I don't know if this is true, but I do know he has lost most of his good people whether through his own fault or changes in the business or a combination of the two. I do know that the business has suffered and rumor has it that it may be gone by year's end, consolidated into another department in the Midwest where the cost fo living and wages paid employees are lower.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

That is truth. After I left my highly stressful customer service job with a company that did not respect its employees or customers as much as it valued its stockholders and its bottom line, I have found that I don't have nearly as many colds, oftentimes I don't wake up with back pain from all the stress I was supplied.

And, if more people were like you (I'm probably not), maybe these asshole bosses would end up without a job. A boss who can't keep employees won't be employed long.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

In my many years of employment, I have dealt with some pretty arrogant principals, heads of departments, and parents. There are many times I said to my wife: "That's it, I am out of there."
When I finally had had it with teaching , and totally burned out, I wrote for a magazine. When a check bounced, there were all kinds of apologies and a replacement immediately; when the second one bounced, I spoke up, querying the financial situation of the company. When the third one bounced, I quit outright, leaving them in the lurch just before publication, and the magazine went under immediately.
Never stay in a place where you are not appreciated to the utmost, and never let anyone take advantage of you. Good for you, Joe. You will be glad you did, and your health will improve.

Edited By cam on 1214238934
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Good for you, Pen! Fuck your stupid boss (who, btw, sounds like a miserable asshole). Pack your shit up and get the hell out of there! You have nothing to lose at this point.

I'm just sorry you won't be in Chicago when I'm there in August for Market Days ;(
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

About 6 weeks ago, I decided I'd had enough of Chicago--beautiful city, but the winter was too brutal for this Florida boy--plus I've just been exhausted, unbelievably exhausted every day for the past 9 months, mainly from work. My boss is an asshole--the tipping point was the crude manner in which he fired a co-worker--she didn't need to be terminated, more training would've sufficed--but he practically kicked her out of the office as she cried.

So the next day I put in my notice that July 3 would be my last day; I would pack up my stuff and move back to my beloved Tampa. Still, the stress of the job, and particularly my asshole boss, has been getting to me. My stomach is in knots and for the past week, well, let's just say I've spent much of my time sitting on the toilet in pain. I had to call in on Friday it was so bad.

In preparation for my move back, to give me extra time to pack rather than do it when I get home from work and am exhausted, I asked this morning to take this coming Thursday/Friday as vacation days--I still have more than 30 hours of vacation time left. The asshole boss say, "I don't think so, we normally don't allow people to take vacation in their last two weeks." Which is bullshit--there's nothing written in the manual to that effect, and as part of my job I process terminations and I've seen plenty of people who used their vacation time in their past two weeks.

So, inspired by the rebellious spirit of the great George Carlin, I've decided to just give the asshole boss a big FU, pack up my stuff and leave. Fuck 'em. I can't take this shit anymore. I'm unbelievably angry right now.

Sorry for the language.

Return to “General Off-Topic”