Guys and Dolls Returns

For discussions of subjects relating to literature and theater.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

It's been that way for some time. Guys and Dolls was revived for the 1976-1977 season with all black cast headed by Robert Guilluame, Norma Donaldson and Ernestine Jackson.

The King and I, Carousel, Annie Get Your Gun and South Pacific all had successful Lincoln Center runs in the 60s and I've lost count of all the revivals of Show Boat.

With revivals of only the most successful shows and uptown transfers of off-Broadway shows, Broadway itself seems more out-of-town than San Francisco these days.

Since they're strictly in the revival business anyway, it would be nice if they would revive shows with good scores that failed because of miserable books or lousy staging and update the books and staging. I'd rather see a shows like The Grass Harp, Mr. President (Irving Berlin's last show), First Impressions (the musical version of Pride and Prejudice), Darling of the Day (the musical version of Buried Alive/Holy Matrimony) and High Spirits (the musical version of Blithe Spirit) than another version of something I can see at least as well done in an old movie as it can be on stage.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

So this is what Broadway's come to: reviving the revivals.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I think Messing could pull off Adelaide, while Hathaway would make a fine Sarah.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Why?

Anne Hathaway could be implicated in her ex-fiancee's fraud scandal and be on trial or worse, in jail, by the time this gets on the boards. Debra Messing? As who, Sarah or Adeleaide? She's wrong for both.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1217521698
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Guys And Dolls Returns To Broadway
30 July 2008 6:34 PM, PDT

Hit musical Guys And Dolls is returning to Broadway in 2009, after a 17-year break.

Anne Hathaway and Debra Messing are among those tipped to take on lead roles in the new production, reports Daily Variety.

The musical is based on Damon Runyon's book The Idyll of Miss Sarah Brown, which has spawned a number of theatre productions and a 1955 movie.

It last appeared on Broadway in 1992. Nathan Lane starred in that production.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “The Cam Dagg Memorial Theatre and Literature Forum”