R.I.P. Estelle Getty

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Reza wrote:To each his own, I guess! What do I know?

I'll tell you what you know. Nothing.

You're so insulting. Why did you put the word "guys" in quotes? Because they're gay and therefore, not real men? I've had boyfriends that are probably more masculine than you are.

Also, how dare you refer to "touching a nerve between my legs". Who do you think you are showing me such little respect? I feel disgusting just reading your post.

What your problem is, along with other homophobic/ignorant posters on this board, is that you have no concept of anything that deviates from your own extremely narrow viewpoint. All I was doing was sharing a good memory about 80's television and you had to be a complete asshole about it.

Edited By flipp525 on 1217298085
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

flipp525 wrote:
Reza wrote:
flipp525 wrote:
Do you remember the classic "and THAT, Marjorie, just so you will know — and your children will someday know ---is the night the lights went out in Georgia!" speech that Julia Sugarbaker delivers to the beauty queen the first season? I think that's one of the greatest moments in all of television history. A bar I go to plays it at least once a month on Monday nights and guys quote it verbatim.

I'm sorry but don't you think these guys who hang around bars quoting lines from Designing Women REALLY need to get a life?

I don't really know how to respond to this. I think "Go fuck yourself" will just have to suffice.

I seemed to have touched an extremely raw nerve between your legs!

I had absolutely no idea that YOU were also one of the ''guys'' sitting around quoting banal lines from this trashy show!

I apologise. However, please do keep it up though, as I wouldn't want you to feel left out amongst the ''guys'' when they try to keep up with the actresses mouthing the dialogue.

To each his own, I guess! What do I know?

Edited By Reza on 1217297029
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Reza wrote:
flipp525 wrote:
Penelope wrote:Designing Women

Do you remember the classic "and THAT, Marjorie, just so you will know — and your children will someday know ---is the night the lights went out in Georgia!" speech that Julia Sugarbaker delivers to the beauty queen the first season? I think that's one of the greatest moments in all of television history. A bar I go to plays it at least once a month on Monday nights and guys quote it verbatim.

I'm sorry but don't you think these guys who hang around bars quoting lines from Designing Women REALLY need to get a life?
I don't really know how to respond to this. I think "Go fuck yourself" will just have to suffice.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

flipp525 wrote:

flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Edited By flipp525 on 1216990667

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I forgot about Barney Miller. I really liked that show and its ensemble cast led by Hal Linden, Jack Soo and Abe Vigoda. Two other ABC comedy series of the era with ensemble casts that I liked were Welcome Back, Kotter with Judd Hirsch and a young John Travolta and Taxi with its cast of future stars.

Getting back on topic for a moment, did anyone else find it odd that none of Getty's co-stars attended her memorial service? Producer Tony Thomas, Marlo's brother, was there, but where were Bea Arthur, Betty White and Rue McClanahan?
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

My mother was and is a huge MASH fan; my father loved Barney Miller. At that age, I myself loved Alice, but probably because I could identify with it (I was the kid growing up with a single mom) .

In the 80s, I loved some of the previously mentioned sitcoms--Newhart, Kate & Allie, Cheers, Murphy Brown, Designing Women--but also WKRP in Cincinnati, The Cosby Show (in its first few years) and, best of all, Roseanne--the pot episode has to be the funniest half hour in the history of television, as far as I'm concerned. Which leads us to the 90s, when I loved Frasier, Friends (yeah, sorry)...and not much else (I watched minutes of Seinfeld once and loathed it). I have a love/hate relationship with Will & Grace; the only recent sitcom I've watched with any regularity is The New Adventures of Old Christine, which I find genuinely hilarious.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

abcinyvr wrote:And no one mentions Barney Miller? I was just thinking about that show yesterday.
My bad -- I simply forgot about it.

Barney Miller was a wonderful show with a great cast having a field day with unforgettable characters. And I can't think of another comedy that had such believable New York ambience.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
abcinyvr
Graduate

Post by abcinyvr »

And no one mentions Barney Miller? I was just thinking about that show yesterday.
I was at the right age for the great 70's sitcoms - and I remember watching the first episodes of M.A.S.H. and Mary Tyler Moore, etc., and watching them until their final episodes. I liked almost everything and these days hate almost everything. I too stick to the animated ones, and the stuff coming out of England: Little Britain, Extras.
As for Estelle Getty, her best scene - plumbers have been working in the house and she comes home to find the toilet placed in front of the TV. "I's an old womans dream come true!" Dorothy (Bea Arthur) arrives to find Sofia seated...
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Ted Casablanca on Estelle Getty:

Estelle Getty, actually spent very, very little during her long life. And gotta say bye-bye, you Golden deary! Yes, we actually did know each other, although Estelle was a couple of years older than I. Three things I remember about E.G. the most: She was lovely, she was an incredible tightwad—cheap furnishings and abodes were always her mantra—and the reason she always looked aside from the person she delivered those withering put-down’s to (usually Bea Arthur, who was almost always drunk off her ass, and I should know, because I was on the set a few times) was because she could never remember her lines. They were always written on cue cards for her, right next to the camera.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Even to this day, I can't understand what attracted audiences and Emmy voters to Third Rock from the Sun.

'Cause it's dumb.

I loved 'Newsradio' in the 90's. A beautiful, perfect sitcom that would've come a little closer to recovery had it been given another season with the admittedly obnoxious Jon Lovitz.

These days: 'Arrested Development', '30 Rock', some of 'The Office', and 'It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia' have buried the laugh track, thank God. I love those shows. I think the last three camera shot I watched was 'Frasier', which was lovely. 'Seinfeld' had some fantastic years.
"How's the despair?"
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

My partner and I with a group of our friends wold watch the The Golden Girls on a large screen in a pub every Friday night before going out to dinner and drinks. It lasted quite a few good months and was alot of fund. So I have fond memories of the television show and in particular the wonderful cast who worked so well togther that I woule never watch at home but enjoy with a gorup of friends and stragers at a pub.

Edited By Precious Doll on 1216903712
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Eric wrote:As for the nadir of the '80s, I guess it's between Growing Pains and Full House.
These were the sitcoms my sisters and I ADORED when we were growing up. Unsurprisingly, I haven't thought of either for a long time, but, oh, the memories . . .

And it's not of my generation, but the episodes of All in the Family that I've seen I thought were terrific -- some of them seemed envelope-pushing even by today's standards.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Eric wrote:As for the nadir of the '80s, I guess it's between Growing Pains and Full House.

Full House, without a doubt. I hated that piece of shit show. On Growing Pains, you could at least look at Kirk Cameron cuteness (before he went apeshit born-again Christian crazy, of course).

I can't stand Paul Reiser so Mad About You was a no-go. Never got into The Nanny, either.

My Sister Sam anyone?

Edited By flipp525 on 1216860551

Return to “The People”