R.I.P Bobby Murcer

Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

The only Yankees I've ever liked were the iconoclastic Jim Bouton (a McGovern delegate from New Jersey at the 1972 convention) and, retroactively, Lou Gehrig. But from all accounts, Bobby Murcer was a wonderful man, modest and kind-hearted, and the world is a lesser place with his departure. And he did play for the Giants, which is a redemptive act if ever there was one.

Tee, on the Channel 2 news tonight (where Jim Bouton was once a -- wonderful -- sportscaster), anchor Steve Bartelsman choked up talking about Murcer, saying when his (Bartelsman's) own cancer was revealed, Murcer was the first person to call him with encouragement.

Edited By Damien on 1215966499
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

This might not have much resonance outside the five boroughs, but long-time baseball player and announcer Bobby Murcer finally succumbed to brain cancer today, at 62.

Murcer, like Don Mattingly, had the good-and-ill fortune of being unquestionably the best player on the Yankees during years that the team stunk. He never had the talent of fellow Oklahoman Mickey Mantle (to whom he was unfairly expected to be a successor), but he was a frequent all-star with some clutch moments -- none more notable than the day he both delivered Thurman Munson's euolgy and then drove in all five runs (two in the bottom of the ninth) to beat the Orioles.

After retirement, he joined the Yankees' broadcast team, a job he kept right up to this year, despite his physical deterioration. Like predecesor Phil Rizzuto, he might not have had the technical skills of the network play-by-play fiolk -- but he just seemed such a terrific, likable guy he was a pleasure to listen to. Most of the people they've interviewed this afternoon have been unable to keep from tearing up. I feel a bit of the same myself.

Return to “General Off-Topic”