My west coast trip

Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Uri wrote:Next stop – Paris (via San Francisco, alas very briefly). I’ll tell Steph you all miss her.
Need any suggestions on Paris, or are you already familiar with the city?

I have 7 pages of Paris reccomendations I sent to Steph. :D
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Sounds like you've been busy - hope you waved as you passed my house if you traveled north past the Carninquez Bridge on Highway 80.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

OK, I’m back – Salinas, the Golden Gate national recreation area, Sonoma, Napa Valley, Lake Tahoe, Yosemite Park, San Simeon and some amazing roads along the way. Thank you all for your contribution.
Next stop – Paris (via San Francisco, alas very briefly). I’ll tell Steph you all miss her.
p.s. – on my visit to the Hearst estate, I was amazed there was no official reference to the fact that Marion Davis was more than an actress appearing in movies produced by WR or a frequent guest at the parties he threw. Nada. And off course nothing about Citizen Kane. A PG version of history if ever there was one
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Damien wrote:It's at 665 Bush Street (I can't believe San Francisco hasn't changed the name of that street.)
Next month I'm moving into an apartment on Bush myself, Damien. I remember back in November 1992 some pranksters spent all night plastering "Clinton" signs over every single "Bush" sign on the run of the street. I was out of the country in November 2000 so I don't know if someone repeated that stunt with "Gore" signs, but I know the signs were left alone in 2004. You can blame us for the second term if you like. I agree it should've been officially changed long ago, especially considering that it's unclear who the street was named after in the first place- apparently some obscure character from the pre-Gold Rush days that nobody really remembers anything about.

I second Tosca (apparently a Sean Penn hangout too, though I've never seen him there on my occasional visits), the Giants (though they're on a road trip for most of late May) and Musée Mécanique (it used to be located in the neighborhood I grew up in, and I have many happy childhood memories of operating the old pre-electronic games and filmstrip viewing machines.

As a vegetarian, I hesitate to second the food at John's Grill (I understand it's terrific if you eat meat) but it is a San Francisco institution. I haven't tried the Swan Oyster Depot (no surprise) or Scala's either. I'm more versed in navigating cheaper eateries (especially Thai, Indian, and other Asian cuisine) for their better options.

If the WPA murals at Coit Tower sound interesting, I can also point you to the two original Diego Rivera murals found in town. I've only done the VERTIGO tour as a self-guided trip, but I've taken a terrific Film Noir tour with stops at locations for LADY FROM SHANGHAI, THIEVES' HIGHWAY, THE SNIPER, THE LINEUP, THE MALTESE FALCON (sorta- it was actually shot in Hollywood) and more.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Uri, I didn't realize your trip would be starting so soon, so I'm a bit tardy in responding. I went to Monterey, Carmel, Mendocino and San Francisco last fall (and then Paris 2 months later).

Here are some places I found to be highlights. The Carmel Mission, between Monterey and Carmel, which dates back to 1870. Makes for a brief but fascinating stop.

The John Steinbeck Museum in Salinas.

In Monterey, Cannery Row has been refurbished and is bland in that Refurbished Historical District way, with boutiques and upscale restaurants. Old Fisherman's Wharf in Monterey is more ramshackle and fun, with some great fish shacks.

I'm sure your sister will take you on Highway One – the views are indeed stunning.

Whenever I'm in San Francisco, I always make sure I have a meal at John's Grill (63 Ellis Street) which was Dashiell Hammett's hangout (and also Sam Spade's). With its wood paneling, it's got a great clubby old 20s feel to it. It's a San Francisco classic.

If you like oysters, the Swan Oyster Depot 1517 Polk St is a must. It's very small (just a lunch counter) so you'll have to wait but it's worth it. The people working there are also incredibly nice.

For a big deal dinner, I had a great meal at Scala's which is in the Sir Francis Drake hotel (450 Powell Street)

There are plenty of Italian restaurants in San Francisco, particularly in North Beach. My favorite is Rosa Pistola (532 Columbus Avenue) which is a bit more sophisticated than most others in the neighborhood.

And if you're in North Beach, don't miss Tosca, an old dark bar with just opera on the juke box.

As Brian has mentioned, the Castro is a gorgeous theatre and no matter what's playing it's worth going in just to see it.

I've never done it, but there are a number of "Vertgo Tours" that take you to the movie's locations.

Coit Tower offers great views and has cool WPA murals. Another place for a view is Top of The Mark, which also has the extra attraction of being a bar (and where, I believe, Irish coffee was supposedly invented).

Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco is mostly a tourist trap with crappy souvenirs and t-shirts. But one place is definitely worth going there to see: Musée Mécanique.an amazing collection of coin-operated mechanical games and novelties from old penny arcades right up through pinball machines and video games. It's a unique place and is great fun.

Do you have a hotel yet? Last time I stayed at the Orchard Garden – centrally located and very low-keyed. Its décor is minimalist, almost zen-like. It's at 665 Bush Street (I can't believe San Francisco hasn't changed the name of that street.)

Oh, and if were going to San Francisco I'd make sure I went to a Giants game – the greatest, most wonderful sports franchise there ever was.

Do you need recommendations and suggestions for Paris? Make sure you go to Aux Lyonnais, which is Alain Ducasse's affordable restaurant. Beautiful setting and memorable food (especially the egg appetizer.)

Edited By Damien on 1210899554
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Hey Uri - I lost your "American" number (don't ask). Can you please send it to me privately, along with the French one? Hope you are enjoying California - hugs!
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

rain Bard wrote:25th and 26th, huh? Actually, some friends and I are hosting our annual backyard get-together on the 25th. You'd be welcome to come to that, as would Peter or anyone else in striking distance.
Sounds nice, but I'm hosting a birthday party for one of my nephews on the 25th.
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

I'm sorry Vancouver is off your list. You will come back, though...
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

25th and 26th, huh? Actually, some friends and I are hosting our annual backyard get-together on the 25th. You'd be welcome to come to that, as would Peter or anyone else in striking distance. The 26th is a national holiday, so most Americans not in retail or food service will have a day off, including me. Nothing's marked on my calendar for that day as yet, but I'll keep my eyes peeled for interesting happenings. PM me if you're interested in meeting "irl".

Because it's a holiday weekend, noteworthy film events are rather scarce at that time. In case you're curious, there's a local museum showing a series of films having to do with witchcraft in their small screening room that weekend (I believe Disney's SNOW WHITE and Dreyer's DAY OF WRATH play on the 25th, and HAXAN and THE WITCHMAKER play earlier in the weekend) but the Castro Theatre will be joining the lion's share of the nation's theatres in showing the new INDIANA JONES film when it opens. This is a departure from the venue's usual programming of film festivals and repertory gems, that the theatre hopes will bring new audiences to see the inside of the architecturally and historically significant landmark. (Locally-born Janet Gaynor started off her showbiz career as a dancer there, for starters.)
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Thank you all. I arrived here after a 26 hour journey - not at all a recommended experience – so I’m going to take it easy for a couple of days. And I’m afraid, Cam, I won’t be going to Vancouver after all. A cousin of mine is here and we’ll probably go on, as Big Magilla correctly said, a more sensible trip. We’ll probably start with Napa Valley and go east from there, so I’ll try and check out Silver Oak winery, Flipp.

I’ll be in San Francisco on the 25th and 26th –any specific events on that particular weekend you know of?
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Uri, You will love Vancouver right now--it is at its prettiest The parks and gardens are spectacular. You might be cold( like Reza--but this is NOT Pakistan!), but it is no colder than San Francisco, and there is not the fog they have. There are some great spots to see and things to do. Please write me and tell me how long you are going to be here, and I will plan a great itinerary for you, and hope to see you to spend some of that time with you.

Edited By cam on 1210696470
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Big Magilla wrote:rainBard probably knows more about San Francisco accommodations than I do. He certainly knows more about the nightlife.
I know a bit about San Francisco accommodations, and a bit more about San Francisco nightlife. What I know more than that about are eating establishments (particularly vegetarian-friendly ones), museums, good walking neighborhoods and parks, and of course the repertory film-going scene (our remaining movie palace the Castro Theatre has some intriguing programming for classic movie lovers right now: CONTEMPT is running this week and then makes way for a John Barry tribute series.) If you have any specific questions about any of the above, Uri, feel free to ask away here, or in a PM. What dates do you expect to be in Alfred Hitchcock's favorite American city?
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

flipp525 wrote:Bring a diverse set of clothing for San Fran, btw.
I was once there during the month of July and I absolutely froze as it was so cold. Although some days were warm as well. Best to bring warm clothing.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Carmel is within 3 hours driving time of San Francisco. It seems roundabout to be flying to Vancouver and back to the Bay Area but if your itinerary is set, it's set.

rainBard probably knows more about San Francisco accommodations than I do. He certainly knows more about the nightlife. Cam resides in Vancouver.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I would recommend going to Napa Valley and hitting up the wine country. Touring Silver Oak winery, in particular, is a fantastic experience (best wine I've ever had). It's not too far from San Francisco and is gorgeous this time of year. Bring a diverse set of clothing for San Fran, btw.

Big Magilla will probably offer up the best recommendations as I believe this is his neck of the woods.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Return to “General Off-Topic”