Bernadette Peters & The Tonys

For discussions of subjects relating to literature and theater.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Mister Tee wrote:As far as Lupone, it SEEMS like she has a clearer field than before, but never underestimate Tony resistance to her -- she was supposed to win for both Anything Goes and Sweeney Todd, and was upset both times, with lots of buzz that negative personal relations played a part.
I was just talking about that with a friend this afternoon. Anything Goes was especially a shock as she received rapturous reviews in a smash hit revival and proved once and for all that she was much more than Eva Peron. Plus, Joanna Gleason, who won, hadn't received anything approaching LuPone's raves, and wasn't even the lead in Into The Woods.

If Patti doesn't win this year, she's never gonna get a second Tony. An ominous sign for the Diva -- Kelli O'Hara is extremely well-liked in the theatre community.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Big Magilla wrote:If I'm not mistaken she was the little girl who used to open the sofabeds in those Castro convertible commercials that ran on TV in the 50s.
I don't think so, Magilla. I believe that was Bernadette Castro, who later ran one of those hopeless Senate campaigns against Sen. Moynihan.

As far as Lupone, it SEEMS like she has a clearer field than before, but never underestimate Tony resistance to her -- she was supposed to win for both Anything Goes and Sweeney Todd, and was upset both times, with lots of buzz that negative personal relations played a part.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Kelly O'Hara
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Who’s playing Nellie in the current Lincoln Center production of South Pacific? My mother and I watched the Carnegie Hall concert version and if ever somebody was born to play Nellie it was Reba McIntire—she was incredible in the role.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Big Magilla wrote:Both of these versions as well as the film version are available on DVD and stage productions have regualrly appeared in summer stock productions. To compete with the memoreis people have of the various productions they've seen and heard the current version would have to be very special. I hear it is.
I'm seeing it next week and will report in.

It's a good bet that South Pacific will defeat the oft'-revived Gypsy for Best Revival, but I cannot imagine Patti Lupone not winning Best Actress in a Musical.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

cam wrote:Speaking of this year's Tonys: any predictions? I am sure that South Pacific is going to walk away with several( maybe the leads and two of the supporting actors), and since it has not been mounted since its premiere in 1949--which I find incredible!--it has not been seen by several generations.

Yeah, I think South Pacific will win, but this but this business abut South Pacific not having been shown on Broadway since 1949 is correct only in a technical sense.

The current production is being staged at Lincoln Center, which is twenty three uptown from the heart of the Great White Way - 66th St. - but its productions are now considiered part of Broadway for the Tony Awards. This, however, is the exact same theatre that staged an extremely successful revival during the summer of 1967 with Florence Henderson (Nellie Forbush), Giorgio Tozzi (Emile De Becque), Justin McDonough (Lt. Cable) and Irene Byatt (Bloody Mary) when Lincoln Cener was not cosindered part of Broadway for Tony consideration.

More recently there was the miscast 2001 TV production with Glenn Close, Rade Serbedzija and Harry Connick, Jr. and the 2005 Concert at Carnegie Hall which was televised on PBS in 2006 with Reba McIntire, Brian Stokes Mitchell, Jason Danieley and Alec Baldwin as Luther Billis.

Both of these versions as well as the film version are available on DVD and stage productions have regualrly appeared in summer stock productions. To compete with the memoreis people have of the various productions they've seen and heard the current version would have to be very special. I hear it is.
paperboy
Temp

Post by paperboy »

I love Bernadette Peters; her performance in Pennies From Heaven is stunning.

And I thought she was a damn fine Madam Rose in Gypsy.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Both are eligible. Little Mermaid's best shot is Sherie Rene Scott for featured actress; Young Frankenstein will probably get a number of nominations but may not win a single one.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

cam wrote:Speaking of this year's Tonys: any predictions?
What about The Little Mermaid and Young Frankenstein? Are they elegible? Do they have any chance?
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Bernadette Peters isn't almost 60, she IS 60.

I remember her as a child actress. If I'm not mistaken she was the little girl who used to open the sofabeds in those Castro convertible commercials that ran on TV in the 50s.

She married a man 14 years her junior when she was in her mid-40s. He died tragically in a helicopter crash less than ten years later. Since then she seems to have devoted her life outside of the theatre to finding homes for stray dogs. Maybe it's her purity of heart that keeps her young.
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

I quite agree, a wonderful performer. When she did Gypsy! she was badly reviewed, however, but I didn't know it at the time. I remember thinking that this was rather strange casting--it really should be played by a larger-than-life powerhouse( I am thinking Tyne Daly, and Ethel Merman) and Petersdx, and to some extent LuPone are little whirlwinds, but the reviews for the new Patti LuPone version are respectable: I imagine we will see her do a number at the Tonys, if they are going to treat us to any of the revivals.

Speaking of this year's Tonys: any predictions? I am sure that South Pacific is going to walk away with several( maybe the leads and two of the supporting actors), and since it has not been mounted since its premiere in 1949--which I find incredible!--it has not been seen by several generations.

Edited By cam on 1208899047
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

First of all, I love this woman... but I really have a doubt: did she ever sell his his soul to the devil? Wikipedia features a picture of her where she looks, well, nowhere near 60 years old! That face expression, the hair, her voice...

I remember first seeing her at the 1993 Oscar's opening... I immediately fell in love with her (at the time I knew almost nothing about Broadway); a few years laters I saw the made for tv production of Into The Woods and that confirmed she was something special... But I alway thought she was younger! She looked really young at the time of that Oscar and actually she was already 45. I mean... isn't that amazin? When I see people like her, Madonna and Cher all I can think of is in a Death Becomes Her scenario where some people forgot how the thing was supposed to be done...
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)

Return to “The Cam Dagg Memorial Theatre and Literature Forum”