In an Absolut World

Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

It's all booze to me.
Johnny Guitar
Assistant

Post by Johnny Guitar »

I voiced this sane opinion at a party once and was rebuked by two peers who had worked as bartenders that "martini" is solely a generic catch-all term for a clear alcohol, usually vodka, and some mixers, served in a martini glass. They were insistent and would not even accept "classic martini" as a designation for the appropriate beverage--one would have to ask specifically for a "gin martini."

This was when I knew I could never, ever trust my own age group as a demographic of reasonable people.

And Damien, this is why one should go to Pegu Club.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

That's not even a Martini Damien. Although, if you ask me, just because something is in a cocktail glass does not make it a martini...and how the hell can you have a Martini Menu? A martini is gin and vermouth (vermouth optional) either shaken or stirred. Anything else is a fancy, or unfancy, drink.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

FilmFan720 wrote:
Damien wrote:I don't drink vodka (gin is so much superior in every way)

Damien, you have never been so correct in your life. Now I know why I am a Damienite!!!
Awww. I think there is no greater distinction between the elite and the philistines. I cringe any time I'm out with someone who orders a vodka martini (an oxymoron, if ever there was one). :D
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Damien wrote:I don't drink vodka (gin is so much superior in every way)
Damien, you have never been so correct in your life. Now I know why I am a Damienite!!!
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

I don't drink vodka (gin is so much superior in every way), but I think I'll pick up a bottle of Absolut to keep in the freezer for friends who drop by.

Absolut has had cool, cutting-edge ads for years.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Sounds fine to me, especially as the Mexican-American War was instigated under false pretenses and purely for imperialistic gain (sound familiar?); and isn't it fascinating how history provides irony--Mexico may have lost the land, but they're reconquering the territory through population movement.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

As a native Californian of Anglo descent, the hysterical reaction to this ad campaign endears Absolut to me a little.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

You know, this is the perfect example of over sensitivity. It was an amusing ad when you look at it from its intention.

And, I have to give credit to Absolut. They are one of the few companies in the world that readily recognizes the gay culture and supports that culture through fair, honest and open ads.

Absolut vodka pulls ad showing California in Mexico Mon Apr 7, 9:36 PM ET

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - The distillers of Sweden's Absolut vodka have withdrawn an advertisement run in Mexico that angered many U.S. citizens by idealizing an early 19th century map showing chunks of the United States as Mexican.

ADVERTISEMENT

The billboard ad has the slogan "In an Absolut World" slapped over a pre-1848 map showing California, Arizona and other U.S. states as Mexican territory. Those states were carved out of what had been Mexican lands until that year.

Although it was not shown in the United States, U.S. media outlets picked up on the ad, and after a barrage of complaints, Absolut's maker said on Sunday the ad campaign would cease.

Defending the campaign last week, Absolut maker Vin & Spirit said the ad was created "with a Mexican sensibility" and was not meant for the U.S. market.

"In no way was this meant to offend or disparage, nor does it advocate an altering of borders, nor does it lend support to any anti-American sentiment, nor does it reflect immigration issues," a spokeswoman wrote on Absolut's Web site.

"Instead, it hearkens to a time which the population of Mexico may feel was more ideal," she wrote.

Absolut's blog cite has received more than a thousand comments since the ad campaign was launched a few weeks ago, with many calling for boycotts of the Swedish company.

"I have poured the remainder of my Absolut bottles down the sink," one blogger wrote.

A war between Mexico and the United States from 1846 to 1848 started with Mexico's refusal to recognize the U.S. annexation of Texas and ended with the occupation of Mexico City by U.S. troops.

At the end, Mexico ceded nearly half of its territory to the United States, forming the states of California, Nevada, Utah and parts of Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico and Wyoming.

Mexicans remain sensitive about the loss and the location of the border. At the same time, the United States is fortifying barriers to keep out undocumented Mexican migrants.

Some Mexicans use the term "Reconquista" (reconquest) to refer to the growing presence in California of Mexican migrants and their descendants.

France's Pernod Ricard is taking over Absolut vodka, one of the world's top-selling spirit brands, after buying Vin & Spirit from the Swedish government at the end of March.

(Reporting by Noel Randewich, editing by Philip Barbara)
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “General Off-Topic”